Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

'08 modded Vette vs. 135i

Old 06-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Received 400 Likes on 221 Posts
Default '08 modded Vette vs. 135i

A friend just got a 135i loaner with the paddleshift automatic. He came by and we went ripping around for a while before coming back to my house, so I could take him for a spin in my car. This is the second time I've driven a 135i. I had one for 30 minutes at the Susan Komen Drive for the Cure event that I wailed on.

The 135i really is a smooth ride. It's nimble, the turn-in is great. It really darts left to right very nicely. It is composed with good ride control motions. The brakes feel strong and the motor is the twin turbo inline six. It's a torquey motor with solid pull throughout the rev band. It does seem to taper off a bit towards the 7k redline, but that is probably the boost bleeding off in the upper rev band. Motor is quiet with a nice sound. Wife actually rode in the car with me and wasn't screaming bloody murder like she does when I gun it in the Vette. It's that the 135i is quieter(I have headers/exhaust on the Vette that is loud), more refined, and not as jerky running through the smooth shifting automatic.

The Vette is also nimble, but feels bigger. It's motions are a bit more deliberate, less go-kart like compared to the 135i. The Vette just has a larger feel, but at absolute handling levels, it obviously handles great. It just doesn't feel like it at first turn. Ride is a bit rougher than the 135i as I have the Z51 performance suspension. The Vette isn't uncomfortable, it just doesn't feel quite as smooth as the 135i.

All in all, I am quite impressed with the 135i. If you haven't driven one, you probably should. I still prefer the Vette and that LS3 scream towards redline along with it's sleek looks, but the 135i is not a bad ride at all.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up! Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

The bimmer does feel smooth, but almost isolated - I think its the sound deadening, but coming from an S, just about everything sounds quiet...
Old 06-20-2008, 11:09 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jun 20 2008, 08:36 PM
The bimmer does feel smooth, but almost isolated - I think its the sound deadening, but coming from an S, just about everything sounds quiet...
That's exactly how I felt with I drove teh 335i, I was looking forward to the fabled bmw feel and was disappointed, but it did drive very nicely.
Man, I loved the 135i when I saw it before it was release online, loved in at the car show, but a few weeks ago when I was at the gym, behold a puke green one parked outside (128 not 135 to be fair) and man... it was friggin hideous. My heart was broken because I really wanted to like this car, but man that line that parallels the hood on the fender, goes through the doors right below the glass belt and in the quarterpanel really kills the look of the car for me; like a volvo gone horribly wrong. The vert is even more hideous (saw that a few days later). I noticed teh front first and was thinking that 3 series looks really weird and cheap (the opening under the grille is basically a rectangle), and then I realized I was looking at a 1.
<sigh> surprisingly no input from oneshot.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:19 AM

Thanks for the write-up QUIK! I looove the 135i and I've grown quite an affection for the C6 as well. At this stage in life, I just preferred investing the 40k+ in a small business instead.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jun 20 2008, 11:09 PM
That's exactly how I felt with I drove teh 335i, I was looking forward to the fabled bmw feel and was disappointed, but it did drive very nicely.
Man, I loved the 135i when I saw it before it was release online, loved in at the car show, but a few weeks ago when I was at the gym, behold a puke green one parked outside (128 not 135 to be fair) and man... it was friggin hideous. My heart was broken because I really wanted to like this car, but man that line that parallels the hood on the fender, goes through the doors right below the glass belt and in the quarterpanel really kills the look of the car for me; like a volvo gone horribly wrong. The vert is even more hideous (saw that a few days later). I noticed teh front first and was thinking that 3 series looks really weird and cheap (the opening under the grille is basically a rectangle), and then I realized I was looking at a 1.
<sigh> surprisingly no input from oneshot.
You! You and these damn isolation posts!!! lol..jk man. Drive the 335i and THEN drive the competition..then report. The car is still the benchmark. The 3 isnt on top b/c of its looks.

Anyhow, I must agree that the 128i looks like a turd. ESPECIALLY in the color you described. There is in fact a noticeable difference between the drive in the 335i and 135i.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:39 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

QUIKAG, how dare you like yet another car that's not a Honda?

Nice report, makes me want to go try the 135i even more than I already wanted to.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:15 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Jun 21 2008, 05:23 AM
You! You and these damn isolation posts!!! lol..jk man. Drive the 335i and THEN drive the competition..then report. The car is still the benchmark. The 3 isnt on top b/c of its looks.

Anyhow, I must agree that the 128i looks like a turd. ESPECIALLY in the color you described. There is in fact a noticeable difference between the drive in the 335i and 135i.
Lol.
I think people are slightly interpreting me wrong, the 335i drives wonderfully. All 300hp (+) were all accounted for, stopped it's overweight butt like a lightweight, the steering rack ratio is a bit high but it still turned in very quickly and nicely, and of course it road like a luxury car should. I mean seriously it's a great car, but I was looking for that fabled BMW feel that everyone goes on and on about, sorta like how when you drive an s2000 vs. a 350z, the S provides more excitement despite being down on power (granted a lot of it has to due with the rawness of the S, but still).
So no 1 series for oneshot?
Old 06-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

I was a hater of the design in pictures. But seeing a few of them in person changed my mine...it is not so bad. However what puts me off from even considering a 135i is the typical driver I see in them....a typical NY guido. Pass.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 AM

What's redline on the new C6 vettes?

Quick Reply: '08 modded Vette vs. 135i