Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

1997 Integra Type-R Barrett Jackson today!

Old 09-28-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 1997 Integra Type-R Barrett Jackson today!

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...-TYPE-R-222422

Going on the block today, 1100 miles on the car, 1 owner all original. my guesstimate is this will go for $60-90k opinions?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1100 miles and they, and you, need to emphasize that it's a one owner car. Does it really matter that much with a car with virtually no miles? Would it lose value if bought & sold by multiple brokers/flippers?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I mean it helps tell the story of a car and can show that even though it is super low miles it was properly maintained. If it just changed hands between a number of sellers it would be harder to show maintenance history. Pretty crazy there is one out there with such low miles it'll bring a pretty penny for sure.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:41 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

It will bring a lot, but I have mixed feelings about it bringing figures that high.

The only thing special about a type r is the performance bits. Otherwise it was a decent economy car (the non R models). So, the only reason it was so appealing was its performance. People paying this much money for it are going to preserve it in a garage, so the performance means nothing. They will never drive it since they are spending a fortune just because of the low mileage. So, in my opinion, this makes it worthless to me.

I do get the collectible part of it all and that is what those folks are into. But to me it is an otherwise fun car relegated to sitting in a bubble never being used again :P Kinda sad in a way
Old 09-28-2018, 09:42 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

That is a very cool car in mint condition that I would not pay more than $17,000 for personally, and then I would drive it daily and pile on the miles. It never did that much for me in the first place but you can get better performers today pretty easily although I am sure it is a lot of analog fun.

Kind of cool to see a car that old hardly touched and in original shape though. For $60 grand though, hmmmm a new M2 competition or 1997 front driver? Not a close call for me. But someone will have the desire and the cash to pay a premium for it.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<somebody who would pay 60k for that. But only if I was very well off in life. What I would do for a DC2R...
Old 09-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
That is a very cool car in mint condition that I would not pay more than $17,000 for personally, and then I would drive it daily and pile on the miles. It never did that much for me in the first place but you can get better performers today pretty easily although I am sure it is a lot of analog fun.

Kind of cool to see a car that old hardly touched and in original shape though. For $60 grand though, hmmmm a new M2 competition or 1997 front driver? Not a close call for me. But someone will have the desire and the cash to pay a premium for it.
The guys with E30 M3's said the same thing 20 years ago too, older 911's too.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
The guys with E30 M3's said the same thing 20 years ago too, older 911's too.
Yeah, but sometimes that is the "greater fool theory". Just find someone who is a bigger fool than you who is willing to pay more for it. E30 M3's are overrated. I can see the 911 values a little bit. But classic cars have had their ups and downs. You can pay $60k for an Integra and then have the bottom fall out of the market. Besides, I don't have the kind of cash to buy cars and sit on them without enjoying them. When you enjoy them, you drive the value right out of them. If somebody wants an old E30 with 97,000 miles, good for them. But any low miler, top value car needs to be stashed away if you want it as an investment, and when you look at how much they return, (unless we are talking Ferrari's here) you are better off in the stock market.

Let's say you buy the Integra for $60k and ten years from now you get $90k for it and during that time you have some costs as well. Storage, insurance, registration, and you put another 1000 miles on it. Or instead you put the money in stocks and instead of $90k you have $120k over the same ten years. You may be able to avoid capital gains with the car but you are still behind the stock market. They both have risk . Making the person out to be a genius who tied up their money in a car to make less than the market is not really being Warren Buffet. Unless you can get the appreciation AND still drive the car and put on miles, it is pointless to me. It takes up cash and garage space that could be used for me to put something I can enjoy everyday.

But yes, I know, some people like to have something rare, and this would be it. If you are that guy and have the money, go for it. But this car as an investment? There are far better investments. Nearly every car is a bad investment. I prefer the niche enthusiast vehicle that will hold value but still allow me to drive it. I bought an MR2 turbo for $10k sold it a decade later for $7k. I bought an S2000 for $21k sold it a dozen years later for $17.5k. I plan to have a similar experience with the Cayman. And I drive them all without worry and enjoy them greatly.

But I am sure there is someone in Silicone Valley that was a riceboy as a teen and the Integra Type R was their number one dream car and he is now making a half mill per. He can ring the register and finally get the car he always wanted.

Last edited by vader1; 09-28-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying there are people out there (with money) willing to pay silly prices for some models, justified or not.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

car just sold for $58,000........$63,800 with fees

Quick Reply: 1997 Integra Type-R Barrett Jackson today!