Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2012 Ford Edge Sport

Old 04-30-2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Fixed.

The EcoBoost motors just haven't proven to be that fuel efficient yet, particularly in the Explorer (which uses the same 2.0T) and F-150. Part of the problem may be that they initially put them in their heavier vehicles but it'll be interesting to see how they do in smaller cars. Very few forced induction vehicles appear to be getting their EPA ratings consistently, especially the ones claiming higher fuel efficiency than competitors with larger normally aspirated motors (BMW recently had to down-rate their new 3-Series with the 2.0T motor).

Yes you're definitely right on this one. All automakers have been getting better at cheating the EPA testing with tall 6th gears and such for highway cruising. Very few of the cars nowadays will reach their highway estimates. It seems to be a better to just say you'll average slightly higher than the city estimate. And yes, particularly in these high power turbocharged models. The very small displacement turbo econoboxes seem to be doing ok though.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by Niteshade' timestamp='1335662156' post='21652129
The looks are deceiving because inside this is bigger car than you would think when looking at the exterior.
It must be as big as a fricking football stadium on the inside, because it looks bloated and ENORMOUS to me (to the point of absurdity)!

I'd infinitely rather have a 5-spd '05 Legacy GT wagon than any huge/tall-ass SUV.

I don't know about that... the legacy GT wagon screams the same thing for me except add in grocery getter meets soccer mom can't afford mini-van.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Zoidberg
Also with the 2.0 liter ecoboost engine, you get 21city/30hwy mpg while still having 250hp in that 3700lb car.

I was very interested in the 2013 Ford Focus ST with the same engine, but only weighing 3100 lbs. 250hp, 30+mpg, Recaro seats. Yes please.

... But then I bought an S2000...
I'm interested in the Focus ST too... for a daily!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by slusoccer00
I don't know about that... the legacy GT wagon screams the same thing for me except add in grocery getter meets soccer mom can't afford mini-van.

Hey, if that soccer mom was opting for a turbocharged, AWD, manually-shifted grocery getter...sounds hot .

To me, this SUV is all about compromise for the sake of appearance. An SUV "Sport" is still just an SUV...nothing sporty about a 4500lb curb weight. You're paying extra to get questionably large wheels and half the towing capacity of a car like the Honda Pilot. If it sucks as an SUV it better be great as a sports car (which I'm guessing it also sucks as). If ithere is diminished utility and it's still not sporty...what is the point?

Yes the Legacy GT wagon is a grocery getter, but it's a half ton lighter, same cargo capacity as the Ford Edge, more towing capacity, and will give you a better "sport" experience (even while returning better MPG probably). And if it's still too soccer-momish I'm sure someone like Cobb tuning could help
Old 05-01-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by slusoccer00
"Same thing"? You serious?

'05 Legacy GT wagon is a lightweight, low-slung, trackday-worthy sports car compared to the Edge "sport".
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM

It looks pretty decent but it's a stupid car. You're giving up all kinds of compromises for the look of an chunky SUV.

I'm still struggling with what to buy now that I have a baby on the way and this is the kind of crap that there is to choose from. Why does everyone who wants to spend less than $30k on a car insist on an overweight SUV that will never go offroad instead of a decent car?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I had a Ford Edge Limited (fully loaded) for a week, and all in all I found it to be a very disappointing car. It looks nice due to the styling on the outside and all the electronics and screens on the inside, but it really ends there, unfortunately.

The car feels like a boat vs. a crossover (crv, rav4, tucson have much better steering response). You just feel like you're "floating." Some people will like how smooth it is, but I thought it was way too smooth. It also feels very big. The acceleration off the line is real slow (perhaps a very tall first gear?), but cruising/etc it's fine. Also, the dash (at least w/ the limited) is confusing as hell. They have buttons/screens EVERYWHERE, and it takes some getting used to. You can access the same features in different areas w/ different buttons, which just makes it very confusing. Perhaps you'd get used to it in time, but I just found it incredibly cluttered as if you're in the cockpit of an airplane. Also, if you're considering one, make sure you get it WITHOUT the "Sony" stereo. You can't comfortably turn the dial on the stereo because the shift lever is directly in the way (it's an incredibly dumb design flaw I couldn't stand). All in all, a very disappointing car imo. Has a lot of "bling" to make you interested, but after spending some time in it, I definitely prefer the wife's Tucson. It drives like a boat, that being the worst thing of course.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
I had a Ford Edge Limited (fully loaded) for a week, and all in all I found it to be a very disappointing car. It looks nice due to the styling on the outside and all the electronics and screens on the inside, but it really ends there, unfortunately.

The car feels like a boat vs. a crossover (crv, rav4, tucson have much better steering response). You just feel like you're "floating." Some people will like how smooth it is, but I thought it was way too smooth. It also feels very big. The acceleration off the line is real slow (perhaps a very tall first gear?), but cruising/etc it's fine. Also, the dash (at least w/ the limited) is confusing as hell. They have buttons/screens EVERYWHERE, and it takes some getting used to. You can access the same features in different areas w/ different buttons, which just makes it very confusing. Perhaps you'd get used to it in time, but I just found it incredibly cluttered as if you're in the cockpit of an airplane. Also, if you're considering one, make sure you get it WITHOUT the "Sony" stereo. You can't comfortably turn the dial on the stereo because the shift lever is directly in the way (it's an incredibly dumb design flaw I couldn't stand). All in all, a very disappointing car imo. Has a lot of "bling" to make you interested, but after spending some time in it, I definitely prefer the wife's Tucson. It drives like a boat, that being the worst thing of course.
Thanks for your input - we are probably going to get the new Santa Fe Sport when it comes out. I've heard the audio system in the Edge Sport can be bit confusing.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I had the previous generation Edge for 5 days as a rental car a few years ago and hated it. Slow, horrible gas mileage, bad handling and a cramped interior. Any vehicle that large and heavy should have more interior room in my opinion.

Why on earth would anyone consider any SUV that isn't designed to go off road? I don't plan on every buying an SUV but if I had to (for whatever reason) I would buy one that is off road capable.

That being said I rented a new Durango 6 weeks ago and, for what it is, loved it. Plenty of interior space, peppy engine, good interior build quality, good looks and it actually handled well enough for me to start hating the seats for their lack of lateral support (I continually felt like I was sliding off the seat in hard turns).
Old 05-02-2012, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by bloodzombie
It looks pretty decent but it's a stupid car. You're giving up all kinds of compromises for the look of an chunky SUV.

I'm still struggling with what to buy now that I have a baby on the way and this is the kind of crap that there is to choose from. Why does everyone who wants to spend less than $30k on a car insist on an overweight SUV that will never go offroad instead of a decent car?

Congratulations btw!

I dunno maybe some people value technology, looks, or whatever else floats your boat rather than a point A to point B car. It's sorta like why buy an S2000 when it's never been tracked/raced when logically we all should have bought something more gas efficient to get us where we need to go. Each have their own reasons why they buy what they buy.

I liked the looks of the Ford Edge Sport especially in white. Am I going to use it (or another SUV) off-road? Probably not. But I may take it up to the Georgia Mountains and I would feel much safer with my family in this in comparison to my wife's current Sonata. I also live in Tampa, FL and it's a little nice to have a vehicle that's a little elevated around the city streets when it rains and with updated technology (05' Subaru Legacy GT wagon doesn't have this... )

Could I use the Subaru wagon? Yes! Be a little more fun than a overweight, safety technology machine? Yes!

Ever since I was a child, my parents had that god awful station wagon with the wood paneling, I told myself I'd never own a station wagon especially when a wheel fell off while riding on a lengthy bridge in PA, caused 2 accidents. Am I missing out, maybe but whenever I see a station wagon all I see an overgrown growth at the end of the car. As cool as the CTS-V Wagon is, I will never like them. Consider me poisoned/traumatized by this:

Quick Reply: 2012 Ford Edge Sport