Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 07-21-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Small markets have higher prices and they are an island far away from where most cars are made.

Would be interesting to know Chinese and Japanese car prices.

Nsx is american made
Old 08-25-2017, 03:27 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

They've "sold out" here in the UK, so more to come: Another 50 Honda NSXs on the way to the UK by CAR Magazine
Old 10-05-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Why would you pay for a car that wasn't optioned the way you want, when you could order it (for the same price) exactly the way you want?
because discount
Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

^^^

Saw Bridgewater Acura posting this on Reddit of all places.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:33 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

And I was right.... over priced flop
Old 10-05-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

There is an NSX test drive event tomorrow at some hotel around here for "guests of the hotel/restaurant" (still trying to figure out what that means - if I get out of work early maybe I'll grab a Coke at the restaurant). They're having 3 cars there.

The base price of $156k is actually not terrible IMO. That's kind of between R8 V10 and R8 V10 Plus, and closer to a typically-optioned 911 Turbo while undercutting the Turbo S. I think the problem is, they tried a Porsche move by making only carbon brakes available at launch, then charging $1,200 for floor mats and much more for a bunch of C/F add-ons that don't really enhance performance. That ballooned the prices to ~$200k. Then dealers started ordering them and slapping a premium on them on the showroom floor. Well guess what? The few people interested in spending $200k on an Acura are going to want the exact color combo, options, wheels, etc. they want, not whatever the dealer has in stock.

So I think they made a good car at a fair base price. Greed and stupidity on both the dealer front and on options led to this current issue, which is not a good look at all. Once a car is discounted by tens of thousands of dollars, it's hard to make people want to pay close to retail again even if you make improvements. That's why you never see the best luxury brands like Louis Vuitton having a sale, and it's extra damaging when you're trying to build your brand from more humble beginnings.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

For all my criticisms of the car, the value of the base price is not one of them. Great car at $150,000.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
So I think they made a good car at a fair base price. Greed and stupidity on both the dealer front and on options led to this current issue, which is not a good look at all. Once a car is discounted by tens of thousands of dollars, it's hard to make people want to pay close to retail again even if you make improvements. That's why you never see the best luxury brands like Louis Vuitton having a sale, and it's extra damaging when you're trying to build your brand from more humble beginnings.
Once the discounts start it's hard to stop them. Dealers need something to show prospective buyers, so they need inventory and sometimes dealers have no choice than buying inventory they know is not right for their market. Our local Aston dealer has been caught short on inventory and then fills the showroom floor with a color car that would only appeal to small percentage of buyers in FL, not MA... I don't think I have seen a customer NSX car on the road yet. For all the McLaren's and Ferrari's that are around; there should be more NSX. The NSX buyer is likely someone who was in college at the time the last NSX around (and wanted like everyone else did), so they are all ears when it comes to the sales pitch. Honda hasn't done a good job on the launch for a car that is actually really nice.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

So I actually drove one for about 30min on Fri. on some city streets and tight, twisty backroads.

Acura held an event at a local nice hotel with 3 NSXs there. It didn't seem to be very well-publicized, as I found out through a Facebook event which was published by the hotel (complete with lots of syntax errors). I guess they were doing more of these at other spots during the weekend. I showed up and drove one right away, no waiting.

Impressions from my brief drive:
-Car looks awesome in person. They had two in the deeper red and one in silver, all with lots of the carbon options. The red ones especially looked fantastic!

-Interior was kind of a letdown. It looks alright (mine was red/blk) but the nav graphics look lower-res than my wife's last-gen C-class and my last-gen 3-series. Just feels like a Honda/Acura interior applied to a supercar. Was pretty turned off by the slam of the door and the cheap shiny black plastic interior door handles.

-You sit super low and the front fenders stick up into your view like the old NSX. Feels pretty wide on the road because of the latter. Getting back into my M3 felt like a truck, felt a good 6" higher after the NSX. You also had to be quite careful on driveways - I'm surprised they didn't fit the option for a front axle lift system given the mission of "everyday supercar."

-Engine doesn't sound like much more than a standard Honda V6 at normal speeds, and better but short of "great" when you push it.

-Power-wise, it is blisteringly fast. I was only able to floor it in 2nd/3rd a few times from about 30-55mph, but holy crap, it gets up and GOES. The hybrid stuff really makes sense in this instance - throttle response was simply immediate with no lag at all in summoning big power, even at 2.5k or so. For those saying it should have had more power, should have been sub-3 seconds to 60... I left with the impression that this is way more power than I'd know what to do with on the street. Puts it down with no drama at all as well. Very impressive.

-The overall integration of the hybrid stuff is fantastic. Transition from all-electric to gas engine is imperceptible, and brake-by-wire feel is right up there with the best I've driven (Porsche Cayman). The Quiet Mode was pretty cool and I was able to do basic in-town driving on electric-only.

-Didn't get to push too hard in the corners, but it felt direct, flat, etc. just like you would expect.

-The most impressive part aside from the hybrid integration was the ride. It rode incredibly well, probably better than my stock Comp Pkg M3 w/adaptive dampers even in Comfort mode. The twisty road we were on had some bad pavement and it was never jarring at all.

Overall I left very impressed, but not quite in love. Although I haven't driven an original NSX, that is closer to what I like than the new one (N/A, RWD, manual, small, lightweight, sounds great, communicative). The NSX has expertly made a supercar that is cool and different in applying hybrid technology to it, and I do think in many ways it is a better and more interesting car being a hybrid. But in terms of interior and sound, the latter which is especially important to me, it fell short for me.

I'm still a fan and hope it does well, and would still probably take one over a 911 Turbo just because I think it's more interesting and looks better. I did learn that I literally do not want that much power on the street - I could only floor it for a brief moment between corners, which to me is more frustrating than fun. Something with the power:weight of my M3, or slightly better at the most, is plenty for me.
The following 4 users liked this post by white98ls:
ishtori5 (10-17-2017), JonBoy (10-10-2017), mosesbotbol (10-10-2017), WolfpackS2k (10-10-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll maybe buy a slightly used one for 80k in 3 years. Ha.

Honda, listen to your fan base. Hit up a track event that's honda heavy and hear us out.

Jon, can you finally fly the white flag on this one? This car could be one of the worst halo car flops, ever.