Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2016, er, 2017 Acura NSX aimed at Ferrari 458 for the price of Audi R8

Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I do have some stereotype views of those in a beat up Honda with large wings in the back, ill fitting body kit, stickers on the sides, and lights underneath the car. If that makes me "simply inobservant" than guilty as charged. When I see a dusty new dually with a driver in a cowboy hat and western gear, I assume he may have a ranch or horses. If I am bad person to think that, so be it.
And I don't make assumptions about the people driving such cars, because I've met quite a variety of different people driving otherwise similar cars. And having lived in Dallas for a while, I can tell you that a person there wearing western gear driving a dually is as likely to be a rancher as not.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
That's what I am getting it. If it's not absolute, it's shades of grey that we are guilty of... Members are professing absolutes to say they are not prejudicial... To say one's thought process is devoid of prejudice is quite unique. We have some outstanding high moral people here without prejudice; me not being one of them...
I said that but also said that I can go beyond that basic instinct and buy what i want and not think all black folks are criminals and white cops kill innocents.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:03 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
It's nothing to do with morality, rather its a simple recognition of reality. Think of every single person you've met who drives a Honda - are they all exactly the same people to you, or near enough the same to make you expect every other Honda owner you'll ever meet will be the same as well? If so, you're simply inobservant. Sure, it's amusing to make fun of Corvette drivers as being gold-chain wearing whatevers, but if you actually meet Corvette drivers you'll realize they're as diverse as anybody else. There are several people on s2ki who at various times owned S2000s and Corvettes, sometimes at the same time. What sort of stereotype would you draw about them? When QUIKAG sold his S and purchased his Vette, do you think he suddenly became a different person?

I know enough different Corvette owners, BMW owners, Subaru owners, Porsche owners, etc. etc. etc. to know there's nothing predictive of their personality based on their car choice.
Weeell... Bmws on the highway with mr Bluetooth headset yelling at people driving the limit in the slow lane.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

It's nothing to do with morality, rather its a simple recognition of reality. Think of every single person you've met who drives a Honda - are they all exactly the same people to you, or near enough the same to make you expect every other Honda owner you'll ever meet will be the same as well? If so, you're simply inobservant. Sure, it's amusing to make fun of Corvette drivers as being gold-chain wearing whatevers, but if you actually meet Corvette drivers you'll realize they're as diverse as anybody else. There are several people on s2ki who at various times owned S2000s and Corvettes, sometimes at the same time. What sort of stereotype would you draw about them? When QUIKAG sold his S and purchased his Vette, do you think he suddenly became a different person?

I know enough different Corvette owners, BMW owners, Subaru owners, Porsche owners, etc. etc. etc. to know there's nothing predictive of their personality based on their car choice.
And I don't make assumptions about the people driving such cars, because I've met quite a variety of different people driving otherwise similar cars. And having lived in Dallas for a while, I can tell you that a person there wearing western gear driving a dually is as likely to be a rancher as not.
Agreed with the above*.
However, this is done by a lot of people enough times that there are certain preconception about drivers of certain makes.
BMW drivers are self centered.
Prius drivers are slow environmental freak (I ride a bike to work so I am too a environmental freak).
Exotic drivers are compensating for (ahem) egos (not commenting on truth of this)
Civics with big wings are immature law breakers.

*an aside. Not pointing finger at anyone but subconsciously, we do make judgement of people's choice of attire, car, friends, etc.
A lawyer wearing shorts meeting a new client will less likely land a new client. Ditto physician.
A realtor driving up in a newish Lexus or an Audi will impress seller more than a 25-year-old rusted out Accord.
in each case, the appearance has no bearing on the skill of each profession but we all have to play to society's expectation.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-24-2018)
Old 01-13-2019, 03:29 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

170 cars in 2018.
By contrast, the long-in-the-tooth 2005 NSX achieved 248 sale units (nearly 50% better). One can only hope that they depreciate a bit so a common man can get his hands on one.

https://jalopnik.com/2018-s-list-of-...uge-1831640195
https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers
Old 01-13-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
170 cars in 2018.
By contrast, the long-in-the-tooth 2005 NSX achieved 248 sale units (nearly 50% better). One can only hope that they depreciate a bit so a common man can get his hands on one.

https://jalopnik.com/2018-s-list-of-...uge-1831640195
https://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers

There should be a bunch of the 2017 cars that were leased that will come off.

Valuations will be interesting as the cars are rare (pushing up price) and the cars did not have a steady following (pushing down price).

I have had mine over 2 years and like 9200 miles and it is a fantastic toy.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I expect they will drop in value a lot, until there becomes a growing group of folks who want the last super car Honda ever produced.

Similar performance, Nissan sold 538 cars in 2018 Nissan GT-R US car sales figures

So Jon, while you were right, the NSX 2.0 did JUST beat out the GTR by a fraction around short tracks, it seems my prediction of a complete flop before it ever hit the market were correct. Sadly we both lost in the long run. Had Honda only made a small v10 with a manual.

R8 927 in 2018 Audi R8 US car sales figures
Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

What's frustrating is they did so much right. The tech works quite well, and blends seamlessly into the driving experience which is not an easy task. It looks great. It's quite comfy. Great chassis. Great legacy and name to follow, even if the new car accomplishes similar goals in a different way. Owners seem to love the car.

The problem is, they held back a bit too much with the power. Any car that does low 11s stock is plenty fast - I drove one, and it was crazy fast. But that's only as quick as the slower of its rivals, at a similar price. You just can't come to the market with what is in most people's minds an inferior badge (or at least one with less pedigree and cachet), a very Honda-like interior and (IMO) engine note, and merely be competitive. People will just look at it as "interesting" and move on to that Ferrari/McLaren/Porsche of their dreams, even if they have to get it used.

The brand-new, purpose-built 3.5L TT V6 only makes 500hp stock with the help of Cosworth. No one doubts that it could easily, reliably make a lot more (Ford GT makes 147hp more, same displacement/layout). They also limited the stock launch control to something like 2k rpm. The 911 Turbo can do dozens and dozens of launch control takeoffs in a row, why can't the NSX have a bit more aggressive setup? For very little extra cost, they could've made an NSX with say 650hp that takes off hard, slays track times, and really shows off its unique torque vectoring capabilities. Instead, by being conservative, it's just a footnote.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

It didn't
- hit numbers
- sound right
- priced for sale
- options that made sense
- wasn't marketed correctly

It was a complete flop from a product stand point
The following 2 users liked this post by rob-2:
mosesbotbol (01-14-2019), WolfpackS2k (01-16-2019)
Old 01-14-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
It didn't
- hit numbers
- sound right
- priced for sale
- options that made sense
- wasn't marketed correctly

It was a complete flop from a product stand point
All that being said, I wouldn't mind a used one still under warranty for like 70-80k.