Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 California Aftermarket Exhaust

Old 01-10-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

If your shit is loud enough to get pulled over for and it tests above 95dB the problem might not be the law, it might be that you're an asshole and don't realize it
The following 5 users liked this post by Chibo:
Bullwings (01-10-2019), cbehney (01-11-2019), Feezy (01-14-2019), jetrep (01-14-2019), vader1 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
If your shit is loud enough to get pulled over for and it tests above 95dB the problem might not be the law, it might be that you're an asshole and don't realize it
Oh! Now I know who the law was made for!
Old 01-10-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by vicrc
Oh! Now I know who the law was made for!
95dB at 3k rpm is really loud already, something that tests that high will pretty likely be well over 100dB at higher revs. Sorry, I don't want to hear that and no one else does either, it is physically painful.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

95dB at 3k rpm is really loud already, something that tests that high will pretty likely be well over 100dB at higher revs. Sorry, I don't want to hear that and no one else does either, it is physically painful.
Agreed and agreed.

I find the vast majority of aftermarket exhausts obnoxious, whether on a 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl etc. Doesn't matter if they're high revving or not.

The only reason I want an aftermarket exhaust on my S2000 is for weight savings, but other than that, I don't want any additional noise over what I currently have. As it stands, with the OEM exhaust, my interior gutted out for safety (roll bar, etc.), and hardened rubber motor and transmission mounts, my car is too loud (85-90 db in the cabin). That's enough to cause hearing damage over sustained periods of time. I always drive it with ear plugs. I bought a bag of 200 that I keep in my glove box.

If i'm not at the track, I really don't want to hear your loud ass obnoxious exhaust. I don't care what car it's on - GT3RS or riced out civic.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

What absolutely cracks me up is that it's currently a heavier fine to be loud than it is to speed. You guys are a different level of stupid if you think that sounds right. The libs are strong in here.

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Agreed and agreed.

I find the vast majority of aftermarket exhausts obnoxious, whether on a 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl etc. Doesn't matter if they're high revving or not.

The only reason I want an aftermarket exhaust on my S2000 is for weight savings, but other than that, I don't want any additional noise over what I currently have. As it stands, with the OEM exhaust, my interior gutted out for safety (roll bar, etc.), and hardened rubber motor and transmission mounts, my car is too loud (85-90 db in the cabin). That's enough to cause hearing damage over sustained periods of time. I always drive it with ear plugs. I bought a bag of 200 that I keep in my glove box.

If i'm not at the track, I really don't want to hear your loud ass obnoxious exhaust. I don't care what car it's on - GT3RS or riced out civic.
How ****ing old are you... Maybe it's time to retire and move to the mountains. Should trains and subways be banned? Should we halt all forklift and jackhammer productions as well? Maybe your neighbor should shoot his dog so it doesn't cause any hearing damage to you. Should we slap a $1000 dollar fine on the loud WOOP WOOP tires that lifted trucks have?

There's excessive and there's tuner friendly. Currently, the punishment doesn't fit the crime is all I'm saying.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by eight
What absolutely cracks me up is that it's currently a heavier fine to be loud than it is to speed. You guys are a different level of stupid if you think that sounds right. The libs are strong in here.

How ****ing old are you... Maybe it's time to retire and move to the mountains. Should trains and subways be banned? Should we halt all forklift and jackhammer productions as well? Maybe your neighbor should shoot his dog so it doesn't cause any hearing damage to you. Should we slap a $1000 dollar fine on the loud WOOP WOOP tires that lifted trucks have?

There's excessive and there's tuner friendly. Currently, the punishment doesn't fit the crime is all I'm saying.
Some are acting like the secret police are out pulling over ricers by the thousands and putting them in camps. There is a difference between kinda-loud-so-just-get-over-it and super obnoxious.

I don't hear what would be offender of this kind of thing very often, but have no problem if the 5-0 pulls them over to get them to tone it down. And eight, I am not picking on you here just saying this stuff in general about loud things.

I just got back from visiting my wife's father in Honolulu. Houses are packed close together and windows are always open. He is getting up there and in poor health. He does not sleep well and it really effects the poor guy. Across the street from him is some guy with a big motorcycle with straight pipes on it and a jacked up pickup with a loud aftermarket exhaust. Both are wake the neighborhood loud. My father in law is startled awake by this dude regularly and is having trouble getting any kind of sleep even without the several-times-daily interruption from this guy. He probably thinks he is super cool and his rides are awesome, maybe he does not care in a neighborhood full of really old people who he is affecting or maybe he would feel bad about it. That block is Mr. Motorbike and about two dozen 80 year old tiny Japanese people too worried about going to say something to the giant loud dude.

But you have no idea what affect you are having on people and until you see an exhausted 80 year old who is too scared of the tattooed guy who moved in next door to say anything, You never know if he would be sympathetic or a total douche. I watched him fire up his motorcycle in the street and rev the darn thing for five minutes as loud as he could (and this thing was super loud Harley loud) before putting it into his garage and then fire up his loud truck and drive off. My father in law did not want me to go say anything because he thought it would start trouble. Sometimes you don't know the house you drive by has a guy recovering from cancer surgery, who spends four days a week at the hospital getting dialysis, is always weak and needs to get some sleep and some person is driving through the neighborhood five times a day with some screaming sh*t can exhaust shaking the poor old guy awake. Wherever you are, there is probably someone who is desperate for a few hours of peace. You are going beyond just being annoying, you are really causing them harm you can not see unless you know what is going on in their house.

You are not always just turning a couple heads with the coolness of the loud pipes, you might be harassing everyone in your neighborhood without even knowing it. When I was in my 20s and bought my first house I used to play my stereo loud thinking nobody could hear it. It did not seem that loud to me inside the house A neighbor once talked to me about it months after I had been doing it saying it shook their bedroom wall from my sub. I felt like a dick, apologized and never did it again. I got the sports exhaust on my Cayman and like to open the flaps on the highway once in a while, but once I get off the freeway, or anywhere near someone's neighborhood, the system gets turned off and it is nowhere near as loud as some random Invidia.

Last edited by vader1; 01-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Some are acting like the secret police are out pulling over ricers by the thousands and putting them in camps. There is a difference between kinda-loud-so-just-get-over-it and super obnoxious.

I don't hear what would be offender of this kind of thing very often, but have no problem if the 5-0 pulls them over to get them to tone it down. And eight, I am not picking on you here just saying this stuff in general about loud things.

I just got back from visiting my wife's father in Honolulu. He is getting up there and in poor health. He does not sleep well and it really effects the poor guy. Across the street from him is some guy with a big motorcycle with straight pipes on it and a jacked up pickup with a loud aftermarket exhaust. Both are wake the neighborhood loud. My father in law is startled awake by this dude regularly and is having trouble getting any kind of sleep even without the several-times-daily interruption from this guy. He probably thinks he is super cool and his rides are awesome, maybe he does not care in a neighborhood full of really old people who he is affecting or maybe he would feel bad about it. That block is Mr. Motorbike and about two dozen 80 year old tiny Japanese people too worried about going to say something to the giant loud dude.

But you have no idea what affect you are having on people and until you see an exhausted 80 year old who is too scared of the tattooed guy who moved in next door to say anything, You never know if he would be sympathetic or a total douche. I watched him fire up his motorcycle in the street and rev the darn thing for five minutes as loud as he could (and this thing was super loud Harley loud) before putting it into his garage and then fire up his loud truck and drive off. My father in law did not want me to go say anything because he thought it would start trouble. Sometimes you don't know the house you drive by has a guy recovering from cancer surgery, who spends four days a week at the hospital getting dialysis, is always weak and needs to get some sleep and some person is driving through the neighborhood five times a day with some screaming sh*t can exhaust shaking the poor old guy awake. Wherever you are, there is probably someone who is desperate for a few hours of peace. You are going beyond just being annoying, you are really causing them harm you can not see unless you know what is going on in their house.

You are not always just turning a couple heads with the coolness of the loud pipes, you might be harassing everyone in your neighborhood without even knowing it. When I was in my 20s and bought my first house I used to play my stereo loud thinking nobody could hear it. It did not seem that loud to me inside the house A neighbor once talked to me about it months after I had been doing it saying it shook their bedroom wall from my sub. I felt like a dick, apologized and never did it again. I got the sports exhaust on my Cayman and like to open the flaps on the highway once in a while, but once I get off the freeway, or anywhere near someone's neighborhood, the system gets turned off and it is nowhere near as loud as some random Invidia.
Oh I totally understand that you'd want peace and quiet when you're at home. I drive my S maybe 80 miles/year on the streets and that's just to get it to my local shop and I don't feel like loading it to tow it or I feel like taking it to Starbucks one Sunday morning. HOWEVER, if you're telling me that it sounds correct to place a heavier fine on someone with a loud exhaust than the texter-driver's of the world, the Kia optima doing 100 on the freeway in mid traffic on a Wednesday, the guys doing 50 in a school zone, I can't sit here and pretend that you are intelligent (EDIT: don't take that the wrong way). Because that's exactly what happened. It's a bigger punishment to have a loud car than it is to put other's in risk of safety. A loud car is causing an inconvenience. What you described right now about the elderly, I completely understand. But when you break it down; loud speakers, loud car, loud bike, loud ANYTHING is disturbing the peace. That gentlemen was disturbing the peace. A completely and separate offense. It's counter-intuitive to think that in THAT situation, the problem is with the car and not the owner. That person is WRONG, not the car community.

Now, let me extend an olive branch out there: if today they raised the fine on speeding, texting while driving, etc. (basically moving violations), then I would not be on this side of the fence currently. SAFETY should be first. What I see here, is California looking to get more money out of an already under-spoken & politically voiceless community.

I do not want to be misunderstood here. Loud exhausts belong elsewhere, not the streets. But my main point is --- THE PUNISHMENT DOES NOT FIT THE CRIME.

EDIT: tbh, I really have no idea why I am even voicing my opinion on this. I seriously never drive the S haha. This really doesn't affect me. The fact that it got passed is just adding more to the fact that I hate this backwards state.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

But my main point is --- THE PUNISHMENT DOES NOT FIT THE CRIME.

EDIT: The fact that it got passed is just adding more to the fact that I hate this backwards state.
If you have money to buy and install an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you have money to pay for a fine. What do you think is an APPROPRIATE punishment?

Also, I'd like to think of the state as progressive, which is why tech comes out of here. The state alone is the 5th largest economy in the world and has overall $25 billion budget surplus. It seems like "backwards" works...

Edit: I also, I have mild tinnitus, I'd like to prevent that from getting worse. I wear ear plugs and in general, wear PPE where available and recommended. You're not a dork for wearing PPE. It's easy to overlook in your teens and 20's. It starts catching up with your in your 30s. In other cases, it's detrimental not to.

Finally, loud =/= fast... How old are YOU?

Last edited by Bullwings; 01-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
If you have money to buy and install an obnoxiously loud exhaust, you have money to pay for a fine. What do you think is an APPROPRIATE punishment?

Also, I'd like to think of the state as progressive, which is why tech comes out of here. The state alone is the 5th largest economy in the world and has overall $25 billion budget surplus. It seems like "backwards" works...

Edit: I also, I have mild tinnitus, I'd like to prevent that from getting worse. I wear ear plugs and in general, wear PPE where available and recommended. You're not a dork for wearing PPE. It's easy to overlook in your teens and 20's. It starts catching up with your in your 30s. In other cases, it's detrimental not to.

Finally, loud =/= fast... How old are YOU?
So according to your logic. @vader1 was being kind of a dick with his subwoofer at his place and was disturbing his neighbors. Should the state place a fine for anyone with an obnoxious home theater system based on that thinking? Maybe he should be allowed to keep his home theater system because he bought it and uses it appropriately, which he already confessed he did. If he was continuing to be a dick after the neighbor's spoke their concerns to him, then yea, he should be fined for his actions not because he has a nice Bose surround sound.

If I wanted to limit these kinds of behavior, I'd do just that. I would penalize those that project those types of behavior. Speeding & exhibition of speed should be a much higher offense than it currently is. If you or anyone involved with the shutting down of public roads in order to have an exhibition of speed should go to jail. Not get detained and slapped with a $400 speeding ticket. You should drive like a normal person whether your car is normal or not. Why the double standards?

And finally, to say that loud =/= fast, I get it. But at a certain point it definitely is and can be. After all that, you still think that that's a point you want to make lol. You've completely misunderstood my meaning. Let's not divert this intellectual conversion we're having to something as primitive as that.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

HOWEVER, if you're telling me that it sounds correct to place a heavier fine on someone with a loud exhaust than the texter-driver's of the world, the Kia optima doing 100 on the freeway in mid traffic on a Wednesday, the guys doing 50 in a school zone, I can't sit here and pretend that you are intelligent (EDIT: don't take that the wrong way). Because that's exactly what happened. It's a bigger punishment to have a loud car than it is to put other's in risk of safety. A loud car is causing an inconvenience. What you described right now about the elderly, I completely understand. But when you break it down; loud speakers, loud car, loud bike, loud ANYTHING is disturbing the peace. That gentlemen was disturbing the peace. A completely and separate offense. It's counter-intuitive to think that in THAT situation, the problem is with the car and not the owner. That person is WRONG, not the car community.

But my main point is --- THE PUNISHMENT DOES NOT FIT THE CRIME.
I think you make some good points here and would not argue with your point the fines might be a little stiff. I went to court on doing 40 in a 30 and my fine was $250 when I was a teen. The person before me in court was caught with a baggie of coke in their car and had a ton of priors according to what the prosecutor was saying and they got a $50 slap on the wrist. Its not always perfect.

Quick Reply: 2019 California Aftermarket Exhaust