Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2019 Miata press event

Old 07-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by GuthNW
Here’s a question: Does anyone think that there is a “Chuck S equivalent” on a Miata forum somewhere?
Yes.

Join miata.net, they are ALL Chuck S.

That's why there are a ton of Miata forums. Miata.net was cranky old dudes who bloviate on every topic, Clubroadster was pretty normal folks with a nice variety of things, Mazdaroadster was a spinoff of Clubroadster and MiataTurbo was performance/DIY dork focused.

Source: I had an NA Miata prior to my AP1.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love mazda and so happy they did this for the ND! Great job.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Because no one likes their Ferrari 360 spider mistaken or compared to on equal ground to an Alfa 4c because they are both Italian sports cars...Or an S2000 to a Miata. Especially a built S2000 that far exceeds the performance of a stock S2000, which a lot of us own and have for years and wear and know it like a glove, understanding how great the chassis is stock and excepting of mods that propel it to super car performance levels, every time we get in it and push it. Therefore Its not surprising why a passionate tuning minded s2000 enthusiast would be repelled or confused by excitement for a inferior roaster on a s2000 forum. Then one argues mpg, cup holders and blue tooth and eyes further gloss over...

I'm happy for you miata fans that the uneventful power plant now makes it up to 7500rpm giving you more time to wait for something exciting to happen.

I totally get being a general car enthusiast, I love many and no one can argue much when one desires a change to a different platform due to some of the ergonomic compromises of the s2000 or wanting something larger/v8 better performing out of the box etc. But moving to a inferior but otherwise same ergonomic platform does create some confusion. Something to keep in mind.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-21-2018 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:52 PM

^Someone doesn't realize modified ND & modified S2000 run very similar lap times.

The S2000 is a great car. NO ONE DENIES THAT.

The ND is just a product of 2015/6 & has elevated the standard for affordable sports cars. For those seeking what the S2000 alone can offer, it is still the better option (I am one of those people), in most cases, the ND Miata is as good or better.

(I can't wait until a less modified ND passes you btw)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
^Someone doesn't realize modified ND & modified S2000 run very similar lap times.

The ND is just a product of 2015/6 & has elevated the standard for affordable sports cars. For those seeking what the S2000 alone can offer, it is still the better option (I am one of those people), in most cases, the ND Miata is as good or better.

I'm not talking about sanctioned/limited rule racing, or dodging cones in a parking lot. I'm talking about the full unlimited capability's of the car. The S is wider/longer and stiffer and more stable = better platform. Id put it up against any supercar on a big track in proper modified spec. The Matias platform capability is simply just not as high. Thats ok, a lot of more expensive cars cant touch the S on a lot of courses. The Miata does well for its price point.

I hope you have a lot of time, you will be waiting a while for that.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-21-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:31 PM
Community Organizer

I'm not talking about sanctioned/limited rule racing, i'm talking about the full capability's of the car/unlimited. The S is wider/longer and stiffer and more stable, accommodate much wider rubber, engine can take much more boost/power capability headroom = better platform in every way. The miata is just not as serious of a machine, its a toy in comparison. Toys are fun though .

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I'm not talking about sanctioned/limited rule racing, or dodging cones in a parking lot. I'm talking about the full unlimited capability's of the car. The S is wider/longer and stiffer and more stable = better platform. Id put it up against any supercar on a big track in proper modified spec. The Matias platform capability is simply just not as high. Thats ok, a lot of more expensive cars cant touch the S on a lot of courses. The Miata does well for its price point.

You’d put an S2000 against any supercar on a big track? Your username really speaks for itself...
The following 2 users liked this post by ssbfgc:
LUV2REV (07-24-2018), TrumpetTitan (07-23-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky

The ND is stiffer than an S2000.

Dude a modified S2000 can't even tough a well sorted Corvette. You're wearing HUGE blinders.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Overall I tend to appreciate cars for what they represent in the timeline of automotive history. I have no doubt that I could drive a NA Miata and find different things to like and enjoy about it. The same goes for something like a Triumph TR6 or say a Honda S800. None of them would provide the same experience as the S2000, but that's okay. Outright performance is not everything to me. All of these cars are just markers in the evolution of the sports car, as is the S2000. Historically speaking, for the time period that the S2000 was being built it was a fairly significant car. In my mind the percentage of cars that can make such a claim is relatively small. I consider the Miata to be one of these cars as well, just for different reasons. From the sounds of it, the upcoming changes to the Miata make for a great story. It's hard to look at them negatively when they represent some of what drew me to the S2000 in the first place.

When it comes to buying cars and motorcycles, I've made my choices based purely on what I like, not what others like or think. Therefore I don't have any insecurities when it comes to S2000 ownership. Nothing that Mazda does with the Miata is going to change how I feel about the S2000. I don't care if someone mistakes my S2000 for a Miata. Nor do I care if at some point down the road most people feel that a Miata is superior to a S2000. Surely some already feel this way. If I didn't enjoy the S2000 as much as I do then maybe this kind of stuff would bother me, but I doubt it.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:27 PM
Community Organizer

The ND is stiffer than an S2000.

Dude a modified S2000 can't even tough a well sorted Corvette. You're wearing HUGE blinders.
Didn't realize this was a comedy forum. Did you read that somewhere?

Last edited by s2000Junky; 07-21-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 Miata press event