Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 BMW Z4 driven by the press

Old 06-04-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Maybe not, but I would consider either at vastly different price points if they offered a fun experience. I have $5k to go on the Cayman and I am back in the market looking to add another car. I'd consider this, but lean Miata RF giving how this looks "on paper". The proof is in the driving of course.
Z4 was never meant to be as sporty as the Boxster, but had more elegance to it. I think that formula is still the same with BMW (and Porsche). Be curious to see when and if Alfa releases a new Spyder and how that would fit into this all.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Can't get excited about it. The six is rumored to have about 385 hp, so that should be good, but yeah, 3400 pounds +, auto only, high $60s. $50k for the four banger seems like a lot to pay for a something 1,000 pounds heavier than a Miata, way more expensive, and not really a rocket.

I think this will not sell real well, just like the last one (mostly due to the superior Porsches, and perhaps Audi TT) and BMW will say "nobody buys these cars anymore" and stop making them after a half hearted effort. I bet the Supra sells better, just due to the Toyota Supra fanboys.

And if $50k is the entry price for the four, just add at least another $8k to option it out to bare minimum. Measuring a BMW, Porsche or Audi by the base price just does not work because there are must-have-or-be-seriously-disappointed packages and they run about $4k, and you need about 2 of them.
Took the words right out of my mouth. All of them.

A roadster is supposed to be simple, light, affordable - like an S2000 or Miata. If you want something faster and more serious, a Boxster fits that bill well. This strikes me as too much weight, power, and cost - they overdid something that was supposed to be simple. And auto-only until the M version comes out (which will likely cost $80k)? Pass.

Despite losing weight vs. its predecessor (pretty much all from the elimination of the folding hardtop, it seems), this Z4 is only 200lbs less than my E90 M3... which has 4 doors and a V8. ~400lbs more than a Boxster is inexcusable.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:32 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Z4 was never meant to be as sporty as the Boxster, but had more elegance to it. I think that formula is still the same with BMW (and Porsche). Be curious to see when and if Alfa releases a new Spyder and how that would fit into this all.
That's fundamentally where BMW went wrong imo - it should have stuck with the Z3 ethos. BMW started trying to fill every niche and be MB, and now its getting increasingly beige. Profits though.

Forget the Mustang; for $60k, you can get a lighter C7 convertible that I imagine would be better all around.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:16 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

I like to hear about the power, but I don't think it's enough over the prior Z4. I'm probably not the market. For the money they'll charge you can land a GT350 or GT350R in the used market with a special motor. You got to really want a soft top for a z4.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
I like to hear about the power, but I don't think it's enough over the prior Z4. I'm probably not the market. For the money they'll charge you can land a GT350 or GT350R in the used market with a special motor. You got to really want a soft top for a z4.
GT350 and Z4 are very different cars. Could get a Range Rover Velar for the same price too...
Old 06-05-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

The first gen Z4 was a pretty solid performance match for the contemporary Boxster. Similar weight, similar power. Everything went downhill after that.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 06:21 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The last Z4 and this new one are SLK/C competitors, not Boxster competitors IMHO, despite the protestations otherwise.

“The first generation of Z4 was sporty,” says product manager Andreas Ederer. “The second generation was comfortable. This [new one] can do both. The last version was a car to drive on a Sunday afternoon. This is a car you’ll want to drive on Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon.”
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Damn,this has me thinking about another European Delivery. That'd be an easy sell to the wife.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by freq
Damn,this has me thinking about another European Delivery. That'd be an easy sell to the wife.
Are the German made Z4's US compliant? Z4's for the US had been domestic manufactured previously.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Which is kind of funny, since I owned one of the original Z4M coupes and I wouldn't describe it as elegant or playful. That car had a... brutal... feeling to it. Everything about it was super solid, strong feeling, and serious. I've never driven a Boxter (or Cayman) though.

Quick Reply: 2020 BMW Z4 driven by the press