Car Talk Discussions and comparisions of cars of all makes and models.

2020 NSX Type R

 
Old 05-28-2019, 09:59 AM
  #1  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default 2020 NSX Type R

According to a well-placed source, Honda will bring an NSX Type R to the Tokyo Motor Show this year. The car will offer an extra 78 hp, for a total of 650 hp, and a price of roughly $200K (or about as much as a fully-loaded base model). Other additions apparently include more aggressive/obvious aero (rear wing / front splitter), revised suspension, bigger carbon ceramic brakes, etc - the typical stuff for a more hardcore model.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterly.../#74840dad32c0

RWD or eSH-AWD? No one knows but I can't imagine they'll throw away the AWD system at this point. The extra ICE power should allow it to pull hard at higher speeds (when the electric motors no longer offer propulsion) and the AWD will give it the low-speed acceleration and out-of-the-hole grip needed to get strong acceleration numbers.
JonBoy is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:14 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 654
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

This is interesting to me. Right now I have a DD and a “fun” car, but will be parting with the orange phallus soon. I’ll keep the bmw until 2022, most likely and hopefully the type-r will be a success and maybe even better than whatever is released in 2020. It would be cool to get back into a Honda sports car again.

I’m assuming it would respond to mods in the way most turbo cars would in case 650 isn’t enough, but it’s probably enough.
ealand0001 is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 670
Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

A last ditch effort to boost sales. NSX is still a flop imo.
Midnightdennis is offline  
The following users liked this post:
flexer (05-30-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 12:52 PM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,037
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Midnightdennis View Post
A last ditch effort to boost sales. NSX is still a flop imo.
Time will tell. The original NSX was originally considered a flop as well. Greater than the sum of its parts. Honda usually fails at the numbers game...
Bullwings is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 03:04 PM
  #5  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ealand0001 View Post
This is interesting to me. Right now I have a DD and a “fun” car, but will be parting with the orange phallus soon. I’ll keep the bmw until 2022, most likely and hopefully the type-r will be a success and maybe even better than whatever is released in 2020. It would be cool to get back into a Honda sports car again.

I’m assuming it would respond to mods in the way most turbo cars would in case 650 isn’t enough, but it’s probably enough.
You can get similar (or better) gains on the existing car with tune, exhaust and downpipes, I believe, but it won't have the "whole package" (and warranty) of a proper Type R. Honda's Type R models are usually "the real deal" so it'll be interesting to see how hardcore they go with this model.
JonBoy is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 05:14 PM
  #6  
 
zeroptzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out There
Posts: 15,053
Received 92 Likes on 91 Posts
Default

I can't imagine anyone at Honda expecting the NSX to turn a profit, so it likely has less to do with sales, and more to do with attracting new customers to the brand. The NSX is a loss leader, much like grocery stores sell eggs and milk at a loss you need to have a flagship car that attracts people to the brand. They need more Type R models across the line up. Anxious to see this car make it to market.
zeroptzero is online now  
Old 05-28-2019, 09:46 PM
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6,446
Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

To sound like a broken record, the original NSX was better than its contemporaries. The current NSX isn't. The original NSX also had Honda like reliability and operating costs (relatively speaking), this new NSX probably will not with the added complications of the hybrid system.

Here's hoping that when this NSX gets axed, that they repurpose the platform with just a rwd gas engine drivetrain, and therefore lowering costs. And give it a different name for all I care.

Frankly, this car would've been better suited if it was a Lexus, since there are Lexuses that reach the six figure mark, and Toyota is probably the hybrid king, makes sense they got the best hybrid in the most practical sense (Prius) and in the most extreme sense. But what has this done for Honda? Nothing.

And Type R these days means they make the best of something that no one asked for, and then overstyle the hell out of it. Watch this thing have 5 tailpipes and red striping everywhere.
TheDonEffect is offline  
The following 3 users liked this post by TheDonEffect:
flexer (05-30-2019), Justapickup (05-29-2019), Saki GT (06-01-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 05:06 AM
  #8  
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,734
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I always imagined a Type R version of this NSX ditching the hybrid AWD system and losing around 800 lb.

For Honda Type R always meant stripped down bare bones lightest weight possible.

Now it means tacky styling and more weight.
WolfpackS2k is offline  
The following users liked this post:
flexer (05-30-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:54 AM
  #9  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,298
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Default

So, another insider (who has given a lot of accurate information over the years) says:

GT3-style aero package
Lose front eMotors
ICE 600-650 hp and rear eMotor 50hp
3300 pounds (give or take)

In which case, it'd be a pretty crazy car with power/weight similar to a Ford GT.
JonBoy is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by JonBoy:
ealand0001 (05-29-2019), WolfpackS2k (05-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 08:22 AM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Doh!!
Posts: 112,641
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
To sound like a broken record, the original NSX was better than its contemporaries. The current NSX isn't. The original NSX also had Honda like reliability and operating costs (relatively speaking), this new NSX probably will not with the added complications of the hybrid system.

Here's hoping that when this NSX gets axed, that they repurpose the platform with just a rwd gas engine drivetrain, and therefore lowering costs. And give it a different name for all I care.

Frankly, this car would've been better suited if it was a Lexus, since there are Lexuses that reach the six figure mark, and Toyota is probably the hybrid king, makes sense they got the best hybrid in the most practical sense (Prius) and in the most extreme sense. But what has this done for Honda? Nothing.

And Type R these days means they make the best of something that no one asked for, and then overstyle the hell out of it. Watch this thing have 5 tailpipes and red striping everywhere.
Agreed about the new NSX being lesser than the old one.

However, there's another force at work to make the new one a market failure: Market force.
in 1990's, there was one competitor for the NSX, the 348. One can argue about the 911TT so perhaps there were two.
in 2016-9, there were 458/488, Huracan, 650S, 570S, GT3, 911TT, GT2, R8, i8, AMG-GT, and some others.

When one buys a high-end car, (s)he desires a certain cachet and NSX has to compete in a market flooded with choices. All of the other marques arguably have higher name status than Honda/Acura. If I were in the market for a high-end sports car, I would not look at the NSX unless it's heavily discounted.

Last edited by S2020; 05-29-2019 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
S2020 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
flexer (05-30-2019)

Quick Reply: 2020 NSX Type R


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands