Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 NSX Type R

Old 06-12-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

You can add $50K in options, nearly, to an NSX. It's hardly a "one size fits all" vehicle spec...
Old 06-13-2019, 04:46 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

it's just not enough car for the money guys. That's why it's not selling. It's not enough of any one thing. When the Vette comes out (I can't believe I'm saying this) NSX is going to look even more like a mistake. They're going to get the design right and have a v8 with the right sounds and performance. Not sure why Acura hasn't figured out how get that v6 to sound better... others have.
The following users liked this post:
cbehney (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
it's just not enough car for the money guys. That's why it's not selling. It's not enough of any one thing. When the Vette comes out (I can't believe I'm saying this) NSX is going to look even more like a mistake. They're going to get the design right and have a v8 with the right sounds and performance. Not sure why Acura hasn't figured out how get that v6 to sound better... others have.
Not selling well doesn’t mean anything. There’s been plenty of amazing cars that didn’t sell well. It’s more than enough car for the money. Actually drive the car, plenty of dealers are happy to let you beat on them.
It’s easy to judge a car by specs without having driven it.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by jasonjm
Thats why Acura doesn’t get it. You can run up the price of a regular 911 with options...
The first year cars were all $200k with options. That’s why they didn’t sell well. It’s not worth $200k. There are too many other options at $200k.

The current dealer inventory has been all base cars with Msrps around $165. After discounts your paying $125-$145k.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Not selling well doesn’t mean anything. There’s been plenty of amazing cars that didn’t sell well....
Gonna need examples.
“amazing” as in: most people agree this is a great car. You citing your cousin saying “the Ford Pinto is the greatest car ever” doesn’t count.
also, “plenty” is more than 3-4.
Right now I cannot think of one.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
Gonna need examples.
“amazing” as in: most people agree this is a great car. You citing your cousin saying “the Ford Pinto is the greatest car ever” doesn’t count.
also, “plenty” is more than 3-4.
Right now I cannot think of one.
To make this argument easy, the Integra Type R, S2000 CR, mkiv supra, FD RX7, jaguar xj220, Audi quattro, Audi TTRS, etc etc.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:16 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
To make this argument easy, the Integra Type R, S2000 CR, mkiv supra, FD RX7, jaguar xj220, Audi quattro, Audi TTRS, etc etc.
That’s a mix of limited production units and questionable cars though.

Ive driven them all and would tell you that price point is also a factor. When you give me a $165-200k car I’m expecting to be wowed.

The best recent example is the prior gen Ford GT which was better then the sum of its parts and I would debate more car then the NSX 2 is.

the NSX is missing that special factor - it doesn’t sound right, have a manual, isn’t light or have an interior space that is vastly better. The exterior design is its best feature. Keep in mind that performance wise it’s basically a GTR.

Even the s2000 when it came out wasn’t well received and outsold the NSX. The new NSX compares how to old sales figures?

i think sales figures matter in none limited production. I think it’s a shame Honda didn’t have more balls with this car and do what others have been able to do - build a truly special car. No one on their development team is a car person. It’s obvious cause they built the most bland but technically cool car possible. Even when launching it they weren’t proud to speak to its specs.

the R8 formula proves people would buy an expensive v8 or v10. Those cars with manuals hold their value.

you can’t claim they launched their new hybrid awd with it either. That was on the RL prior.

NSX is a near car, it’s an 80k car not a 180k car. I’m sorry to flat out disagree with current owners and I’m sure it’s hard to accept those realities. They had to discount the car to move inventory within the first few years. Then Viper reprice they issued credits and did it moving forward.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:20 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
They all sold well. There was no discount to be had in order to sell whatever they had in stock. There were dealer mark ups for a few of these.
In contrast, the NSX has 50k discount.
not sure TT-RS is universally considered an “amazing” car.
This is S2ki so some will see the CR as an amazing car but, again, most will see this as a regular S2000 with a body kit and parts delete (not upgrade). Most special edition cars have parts and power upgrade.

Last edited by S2020; 06-14-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:50 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
They all sold well. There was no discount to be had in order to sell whatever they had in stock. There were dealer mark ups for a few of these.
In contrast, the NSX has 50k discount.
not sure TT-RS is universally considered an “amazing” car.
This is S2ki so some will see the CR as an amazing car but, again, most will see this as a regular S2000 with a body kit and parts delete (not upgrade). Most special edition cars have parts and power upgrade.
Oh well ok then. I'll just disregard why the MKIV supra and xj220 got axed, why no other type r was sent stateside until the CTR, how even on these boards people were talking about getting their CRs at discounts.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
That’s a mix of limited production units and questionable cars though.

Ive driven them all and would tell you that price point is also a factor. When you give me a $165-200k car I’m expecting to be wowed.

The best recent example is the prior gen Ford GT which was better then the sum of its parts and I would debate more car then the NSX 2 is.

the NSX is missing that special factor - it doesn’t sound right, have a manual, isn’t light or have an interior space that is vastly better. The exterior design is its best feature. Keep in mind that performance wise it’s basically a GTR.

Even the s2000 when it came out wasn’t well received and outsold the NSX. The new NSX compares how to old sales figures?

i think sales figures matter in none limited production. I think it’s a shame Honda didn’t have more balls with this car and do what others have been able to do - build a truly special car. No one on their development team is a car person. It’s obvious cause they built the most bland but technically cool car possible. Even when launching it they weren’t proud to speak to its specs.

the R8 formula proves people would buy an expensive v8 or v10. Those cars with manuals hold their value.

you can’t claim they launched their new hybrid awd with it either. That was on the RL prior.

NSX is a near car, it’s an 80k car not a 180k car. I’m sorry to flat out disagree with current owners and I’m sure it’s hard to accept those realities. They had to discount the car to move inventory within the first few years. Then Viper reprice they issued credits and did it moving forward.
Good thing I used a subjective word like amazing.

Many of those cars aren’t truly limited production. It’s not like the 1M that stuck to a specific count. The TT-RS wasn’t hard to find, and the second gen had absolutely no markup unless you lived in California. Porsche (Definitely Ferrari as well) says everything is limited production these days and then always builds almost enough to meet or slightly exceed demand.

Ford GT is the prime example. S2000 CR was a great car. The first gen NSX, the Gen V viper, every lotus lol, 4C,

Again, go drive the car before you judge it. Going by sales and reading specs isn’t really fair.

Quick Reply: 2020 NSX Type R