Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 NSX Type R

Old 06-14-2019, 08:12 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020
They all sold well. There was no discount to be had in order to sell whatever they had in stock. There were dealer mark ups for a few of these.
Initially sure, but I remember discounts. The cr definitely had discounts & the TT-RS had discounts (after the initial hype).
Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Good thing I used a subjective word like amazing.

Many of those cars aren’t truly limited production. It’s not like the 1M that stuck to a specific count. The TT-RS wasn’t hard to find, and the second gen had absolutely no markup unless you lived in California. Porsche (Definitely Ferrari as well) says everything is limited production these days and then always builds almost enough to meet or slightly exceed demand.

Ford GT is the prime example. S2000 CR was a great car. The first gen NSX, the Gen V viper, every lotus lol, 4C,

Again, go drive the car before you judge it. Going by sales and reading specs isn’t really fair.
Just the NSX isn’t the older Ford GT. It does have a v8 or manual! It was also crazy performance... same power as NSX 2.0 right?!?

im glad we all have these kinds of car option. If I was to spend 200k on a car I’d get the GT3 which I think is far more car for the money.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

When I win the lottery, the exotic car I buy will need to be a real drivers car. I would love for that to be the NSX, but alas, thats not what they gave us.

The original rewrote whatit meant to be an exotic car by giving us something that was considered 'practical'. You could actually drive it around on a regular basis, and expect it to make it home on its own power every time. And for things like the AC to actually function when you needed it. Yet it was still exotic. This was a revelation for the time.

It also mostly looked the part. And was a blast for real drivers to drive it.

What seems to have not translated well is they seem to have tried to recreate that formula, only they misinterpreted the 'practical' aspect.

What they should have done is make an exotic version of the S2000 formula. Just substitute 'exotic' instead of 'traditional sports car', but otherwise same concept. Driver focused, responsive, fun, extreme, yet dd practical, incredibly reliable.

What they did instead was interpret 'practical' exotic as something easy for non drivers to drive fast. When they make a car that drives itself around a track faster than I can drive it myself, I won't want that car. I don't want the current NSX for similar reasons. I want a car rhat engages me as a driver. Challenges me. Rewards good driving. Makes me a better driver every time I drive it.

When they make that NSX again, that is where my lottery money will go.
The following users liked this post:
WolfpackS2k (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 10:32 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I think you're very confused. The new NSX is quite practical, easy to drive daily, has great visibility, etc. That's why most people are buying them - all the positives of a supercar (power, looks, speed, etc) without many of the negatives (reliability issues, overheating, etc). Add in what should be typical Honda reliability and it makes even more sense as a practical supercar.

My question is, you said they didn't make it practical but you gave no basis for that conclusion. What makes you think NSX V2 isn't practical?

Have you driven the NSX? In my mind, if Chris Harris likes it and raves about its handling, that's good enough for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 AM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I think you're very confused. The new NSX is quite practical, easy to drive daily, has great visibility, etc. That's why most people are buying them - all the positives of a supercar (power, looks, speed, etc) without many of the negatives (reliability issues, overheating, etc). Add in what should be typical Honda reliability and it makes even more sense as a practical supercar.

My question is, you said they didn't make it practical but you gave no basis for that conclusion. What makes you think NSX V2 isn't practical?

Have you driven the NSX? In my mind, if Chris Harris likes it and raves about its handling, that's good enough for me.
having said all that, do you have a good explanation as to why NSX 2.0 have a $30K discount & sells less than 1000 units/year?

remember, this is a Honda Forum. We are Honda fan boys here, not European fans.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

... remember, this is a Honda Forum. We are Honda fan boys here, not European fans.
I'm not so sure that's true any more for a big portion of those on this site.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:11 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

having said all that, do you have a good explanation as to why NSX 2.0 have a $30K discount & sells less than 1000 units/year?

Yup - poor marketing, not enough differentiation in performance, poor dealer participation and decision making (as others noted, they ordered cars with max options and buying customers wanted to choose their options), to name a few. Honda built an amazing factory to build these cars to customer spec and then the dealerships ruined that by ordering cars before the customers could spec them out. Also, many dealers aren't rated to sell the NSX (not every dealership can order them), so that hurts as well.

Bottom line - if you're going to go toe-to-toe on price, you'd better make it an experience that the customer will remember and appreciate. Anyone can drive to a Porsche dealership and drive just about any Porsche they want. Tough to do that with an NSX...
WolfpackS2k (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Because its an Acura. Most people who are buying supercars want it more for a status symbol than a raw sports car. Things like Ferrari are more of a status symbol than an Acura, even if it is a really expensive Acura. Its all about the image, not the amount of power it produces or if a manual is offered.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by cbehney
I'm not so sure that's true any more for a big portion of those on this site.
agreed. bad wording on my part. my point was we don't hate Honda on this forum. We are on this Forum because most of us own more than 1 Honda in the past 20 years. I have owned 3, and almost pulled the trigger on getting a 4th - an 02 NSX.

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Yup - poor marketing, not enough differentiation in performance, poor dealer participation and decision making (as others noted, they ordered cars with max options and buying customers wanted to choose their options), to name a few. Honda built an amazing factory to build these cars to customer spec and then the dealerships ruined that by ordering cars before the customers could spec them out. Also, many dealers aren't rated to sell the NSX (not every dealership can order them), so that hurts as well.

Bottom line - if you're going to go toe-to-toe on price, you'd better make it an experience that the customer will remember and appreciate. Anyone can drive to a Porsche dealership and drive just about any Porsche they want. Tough to do that with an NSX...
NSX has a Superbowl spot... With J Seinfeld.
Ferrari has no Advertising.
Ditto McLaren
Ditto Lambo.
Yet they don't have any problem selling.
Methink it's not the advertising.

Any Porsche?
Last time I went to check out the GT3, there was not test driving. NSX compares with GT3.
try to get a test drive with a Ferrari, Lambo, McLaren. Same thing. Not easy.
cbehney (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by PureFunction
Because its an Acura. Most people who are buying supercars want it more for a status symbol than a raw sports car. Things like Ferrari are more of a status symbol than an Acura, even if it is a really expensive Acura. Its all about the image, not the amount of power it produces or if a manual is offered.
and yet NSX 1.0 had no problem selling when it first came out. People couldn't buy one. Those who purchased paid over sticker.
they only stopped selling well after not really changing after 15 years, after the competition had moved on.

Quick Reply: 2020 NSX Type R