Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?

Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZDan
How is underrating power and torque a marketing technique? Likely they're just being extremely conservative to prevent people from getting bent out of shape when their expensive car gives them smaller-than-advertised numbers on the dyno. Which is probably why it makes advertised flywheel numbers at the rear wheels.
Marketing technique is to pay to get some nice Dyno numbers, claim 'BMW underrates' and let enthusiasts carry that 'news' through out the web by themselves.

Those dyno numbers are confirmed by Car and Driver's 1/4-mile trap speed. Running the trusty hp-from-trap-speed formula: (3537 lb) * (113mph/234)^3 = 398 hp at the flywheel, X0.85 = 339hp at the wheels, whaddya know I didn't even plan that...
Standard generation-old formulas are not reliable with quick-shifting transmissions and gobs of torque/HP in low RPMs boosting the run through 1st gear. That formula likely overstates the true output somewhat (plug in some Tesla numbers to see the extreme). I bet the Supra is significantly faster through the first 1/8 than the normal ICE ratio of 1/8 to 1/4 times.

Personally I never take the manufacturer's word on power, I go by tested 1/4-mile trap speed. It's a very good barometer of usable-power to weight.
I'd agree if they they were testing top speed. Trap speed depends a lot on the whole torque/HP curve. It is an okay approximation for engines with flat-ish torque curve through most of the rev-range.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

The question in the title of this thread is a bit too simplified. As a straight comparison who wouldn't want the Supra, more power, more comfort, better handling, better braking, and modern fuel economy to boot , hell yeah. I couldn't see how anyone could say their 10-19 year old S2000 is better than a new Supra unless you talking about smiles per dollar comparison.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:48 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I wasn't impressed with the original Supra so none of the hype makes sense to me.

Toyota is incapable of making a sports car anyway. If I wanted a coupe I'd buy the BRZ.

-- Chuck
Old 05-25-2019, 06:21 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I wasn't impressed with the original Supra so none of the hype makes sense to me.

Toyota is incapable of making a sports car anyway. If I wanted a coupe I'd buy the BRZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJQo0tZ5Jmg

-- Chuck
I'd love to have a BRZ as a second car, I like pretty much everything about it, particularly the interior, it feels just perfect to me.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
My thoughts exactly - never liked it and never was impressed by it. From that era, I liked the NSX, RX7, R32, R33 much much more. Things like the Supra, VR4, etc. seemed very bloaty, heavy and cruiser-like to me (I know the GTR is technically a "GT" ...but it's bad*ss anyways, lol).
But, the new 2020 Supra seems totally different than the predecessor, in a good way - getting away from being a GT cruiser and being more of an agile and nimble track car.

These are my fave reviews so far:
Old 05-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
The question in the title of this thread is a bit too simplified. As a straight comparison who wouldn't want the Supra, more power, more comfort, better handling, better braking, and modern fuel economy to boot , hell yeah. I couldn't see how anyone could say their 10-19 year old S2000 is better than a new Supra unless you talking about smiles per dollar comparison.
Yes, you got me, lol. It's meant to be a "loaded question" ;D

Exactly though... it's like comparing apples to A5 wagyu steak.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone that thinks the Supra isn't better and won't outperform an S2000 in every way is delusional. That's how progress works. 20 years of engineering advances tend to do this.

FWIW my latest fun car purchase was a 4 generation old car... I spent more on aftermarket than the sum of getting the current version too - a bone stock latest X will outperform what I built as well; no question. Don't care. Depreciation will be laughable if I ever have to sell so lets not even go there. Also, Nowhere near as fast or capable of my 911 [for example] but the ROI on fun to drive is why I lusted for it. Same reason I am an S2000 fanboy, the S2000 is like this. Also, who cares what magazine specs or lap time capabilities are unless you're getting paid for it.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
That is an interesting take on things. I would say that I find the S2000 preferable to the Supra. I'm not saying that the S2000 is a better car, but it is definitely a better fit for me and what I want out of a car. How many people actually own a S2000 for things like power, comfort and fuel economy? What is clear to me is that anyone who would prefer the Supra over the S2000 does not value the same things in a car that I do. Both the Supra and the S2000 offer a driving experience that can't be matched by the other car. It all comes down to personal preferences. I can understand if someone values the experience offered by the Supra over that of the S2000. But I can also certainly understand anyone who prefers the experience offered by the S2000 over that of the Supra.

I'll readily admit that I am amazed at how many people prefer automatic transmissions over manual transmissions in their cars. That might have to do with my age and it might also have to do with my being a motorcyclist where automatics are few and far between. Sheer performance is one thing and I'm not knocking it, but for many people including myself the way you interact with a vehicle and the way a vehicle responds to that interaction is more important than outright performance. Perhaps this is also due to my being a motorcyclist, but for me the S2000 experience is definitely at it's best with the top down. In my case it's not about smiles per dollar, it just about the number of smiles period.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Would people trade in their presumably paid off or low payment s2000 for a 55k+ new car. From the perspective I can't imagine alot doing that because the value for keeping the S is too good at this point.

If the s2000 were still available new, and for argument sake it offers some updates like Apply/Android CarPlay and a backup camera but with an updated price probably north of 35k sticker, would people forego that option and get the new supra. Kinda different classes of vehicles but I'd say so, the s2000 would he dated at that point, slow, only real benefit is the drop top (if you're into that) and a stick. The supra is new, alot more creature comforts, and a ton more power.

Really you could kinda make this argument already with the new ND vs the supra, because the ND is real world close to the s2000 and has alot of modern updates.

Unless of course you think the s2000 is special because it's less common and rare and therefore that somehow makes you as an individual more special, but of course Honda drivers don't think that way, they only think in terms if real drivers cars.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
True sports car chassis? It's BMW's CLAR modular platform chasis. Which is shared with the 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, X3, X5, etc etc etc.
The only vents that could be easily removed for use are the front brakes. Nothing else is "easily" removable unless you consider cutting sheetmetal with a saw "easy".
My understanding from the savagegeese videos & other reviewers is that it sits on a dedicated chassis, that was co-developed between BMW and Toyota, for the Z4 and the Supra.

Quick Reply: 2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?