Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

3-series vs 1-series Pros/Cons

Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 3-series vs 1-series Pros/Cons

C&D has estimated the 1-series will be about 200 lbs lighter than the 3-series. That would put the 1-series around 32xx to 33xx lbs. 200 lbs is 5% to 6% weight savings.

on the plus side the 1-series will be lighter more tossable and cheaper.

on the minus the 1-series will be smaller, may be cheaper quaity and will be lower status.

It is interesting that BMW is going to bring over the same engines as 3-series. This is just the exact thing Porsche didn't do with the Cayman (ie. Cayman and Cayman S are down 80hp and 60hp vs the respective 911 and 911 S).

People that want the performance first should buy the 1-series assuming the same/similar brakes, tranny gearing etc...

Thoughts?

200 lbs weight saving does not seem like a lot, but in todays world with cars like the GTi weighing 3200 lbs a car like the 135i which will have 300/300 it will be special (IMO).

I'm all for the 1-series, I just wonder if BMW wants to go down market more than it already is and if it's sales of the 1-series will come mainly from people that would otherwise buy a 3-series.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to nit pick but if it's 200 lbs. lighter then it could come in around 3,150 lbs. and will put down 280ish RWHP stock and over 300 lb/ft. Slap a Procede on it and you have a 370ish RWHP car that weighs under 3,200 lbs, that should be a blast to drive.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 AM
rai

This reminds me of the 'fixed roof coupe' (FRC) Corvette. It was a lighter, cheaper non-targa version of the vette, it didn't sell well since people could care less about the 4% weight saving and 4% price saving (I think it had a power reduction as well) so it was a failure GM ditched the concept of an entry level vette in favor of the top level Z06 and the rest is history.

I have to think GM didn't want the FRC to be too big a seller that would take away from the more expensive previous base vette. In other words they wanted to sell the targa and verts to the same people that bought them in the first place but bring in value buyers with the FRC. They didn't want to shift the normal vette buyers down to the FRC.

BMW has to want to bring in more people with the 1-series not move the 3-series folks down to the 1-series.

I'm sure the 1-series will be a good seller, but I'm fairly sure the 3-series will sell more and BMW wants the 3-series to sell more.

I looked at the early WRXs and tho I liked the idea (ie. good performance at a good price) I just couldn't get over the interior cheapness on a $20K car. I wonder what if anything will be lower quality for BMW to still be able to sell the higher level 3-series.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:45 AM

I personally love the 3-series. As a person in my early 20's I dont see the need for the extra space and expense if there is a similar, smaller, less expensive BMW out there. Thus the reason I have placed a deposit on a 135i.

I dont expect to get any status bump because of the badge. In fact, I believe this car will give the 3 series more appeal since its not the bottom of the barrel anymore.

On another note, I've read some dealer feedback and they say its not as small as we think. Mostly positive results from them though.

I know one thing if for sure. This car is going to steal plenty of sales from owners of other cars you wouldnt expect. Just to name a few: RX-8, 350Z, STI, EVO, S2000. Troll the 1addicts forum, the pool of people very interested is incredibly diverse(the cars they drive). I expect pricing for the 135i to be near the G37 also. I dont think its a coincidence.

"I'm sure the 1-series will be a good seller, but I'm fairly sure the 3-series will sell more and BMW wants the 3-series to sell more."

Rai, thats the thing, we dont know BMW's intention. Its up to them which sells more(pricing). The 3 series will be more upscale than the 1. There has to be some form of cost cutting. Lucky for me it wasnt the hardware.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 AM

BMW's are fantastic cars, and I'm excited that my relatively broke ass will finally be able to afford a "new" model..
Old 08-09-2007, 07:51 AM
rai

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Aug 9 2007, 07:45 AM
I know one thing if for sure. This car is going to steal plenty of sales from owners of other cars you wouldnt expect. Just to name a few: RX-8, 350Z, STI, EVO, S2000. Troll the 1addicts forum, the pool of people very interested is incredibly diverse(the cars they drive). I expect pricing for the 135i to be near the G37 also. I dont think its a coincidence.

Don't forget the Cayman. I'm a big big fan of the Croc, one feature it's lower weight than most cars. It is still lower weight than the 135i but it's 200 lbs closer to the weight than it was to the 3-series.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's that light, with that much power and decent handling it would be the hot little sports coupe to own, lower prestige or not. It's going to be really small though so IMO it won't take sales from the 3 series or compete with that car at all.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sort of weight reduction isn't going to make it a whole 'nother animal. Not as if adding a 200 lb passenger to a 335i makes it a lead sled. They are going to differentiate these cars more than just by that much weight or they'd be crazy to bring it to market.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:14 AM

I know BMW has said that an LSD will not be available even as an option on the 1 Series. That's a mistake IMHO, since BMW is positioning the 1 Series as their purer, sporty coupe.

Can you get an LSD on a 335?

Andrew
Old 08-09-2007, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Aug 9 2007, 08:14 AM
I know BMW has said that an LSD will not be available even as an option on the 1 Series. That's a mistake IMHO, since BMW is positioning the 1 Series as their purer, sporty coupe.

Can you get an LSD on a 335?

Andrew
LSD is reserved for the M Cars....hint hint..
BMW claims to have incorported something similiar to an LSD but I guess we will have to wait and see how well it works.

Quick Reply: 3-series vs 1-series Pros/Cons