Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura Integra Type R

Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
DC2 Integra Type R's are sweet but not as sweet as a K20z3 motor in a EG/EJ/DC2/EK. You can have Type R steering rack put into either and get that manual, ITR rack feel. Not to mention you can still keep AC if you want it. Not to mention peg 13s with 205 street tires.. . I used to have a 95 civic with a K20a2. pulled a 13.3s 1/4 with a 2.15 60 foot on Hankook RS2 205/45/16 tires. 2450 with driver and fuel. 210whp/160trq and WAY faster than my S2000. With not that much work, LS1 vette fast around a road course in the straights and in the turns.. .

I've owned a 2008 Civic Si coupe. Stripped, that car would be a lot of fun for sure with a wavetrac diff and high end suspension. I beat up on lots of nice cars with it durring AutoX with minimal mods. It's not an ITR though for sure without significantly more money into bolt ons b/c of the weight. Weight is so premium for AutoX but the 8th gen civic can fit/tuck 255s with the right suspension mods and wheels offsets.

I drove a JCW mini the other day. Car flat out handles with minimal mods. WOW. Feels so good.

The S2000 is a pure drivers car. IMO, build a second one OR build/buy a K20Z3 EG/EK civic and put a quiet exhaust on it to keep it low-key. Get it ensured for a higher value. Type Rs are not magic but dissapear like they are!
Everything you say is true and K20 engines are great for sure but still not a Type R.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
After the last couple of posts I had to chime in.
I have never understood the excitement over the Type R Teg. The U.S. version has always been unattractive to me, but I've always loved the EG. Dropping a Type R power plant into to my hatch has always been something I wanted to do, and after reading Berny's post why would you buy a Type R anyway? Different strokes I guess... a sleeper hatch to go with the S!
There's also no such thing as a sleeper hatch anymore.

Originally Posted by newyawkballa
Before we start comparing against the S2000, let's see how the Type-R holds up to the BR-Z/FR-S.

Let's not forget, members have had their S2000's weighed and quite a few saw figures around 2750ish. Also Ap2's are putting out 162 lb-ft of torque versus 130 lb-ft in the Type-R. Honda should have bumped the horsepower figures to 250 HP when the Ap2 was released.
That weight is about the same as an FRS/BRZ, but a bit heavier than an ITR. I've been meaning to weigh mine, just haven't gotten around to it, but it should be lower than 2500.

For those interested here's a diagram of things done to just the chassis of an ITR compared to regular Integras.

Besides that there's also the obvious stuff of suspension, brakes, motor and transmission. Then less obvious in a different abs system, no sound deadening and other stuff I'm forgetting.

Remember too, I'm not trying to tell you that the ITR is going to destroy the s2000 and anyone that thinks to the contrary is stupid. I'm just giving my personal experience and voicing why I prefer driving my ITR over my S2000. When it comes down to it, they're both great cars each with it's own experience and a thriving community.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:36 AM

When you state that you're faster than a S2000 around a track in your ITR, I think a lot of that boils down to driver. That is a completely moot point, though I do understand the appeal of being faster in an underdog car. But track times are not really a good comparison considering the S2000 is a very formidable car on the AutoCross and track (Evasive S2000, etc.)

The ITR is a special car because it really hits home when it comes to nostalgia. Driving it back when I was in high school was a dream come true. Today, after owning many S2000's, the Type R only has nostalgia left. It's a GREAT driver's car as FWD goes, but the S2000 offers the better package. It has a better transmission, RWD, modern cockpit, and an equally iconic engine.

Yes, I have driven both. Yes, I do believe the S2000 is Honda's best sports car.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:39 PM

"Are Type Rs that enjoyable to drive? Are they even more raw than S2Ks? Do you think they're definitely worth $10-$12K? Thanks in advance."

This was OP's question and some how the thread went other direction...

To answer your question, most will agree:
- Very enjoyable to ride.
- I wouldn't say "more" raw but just as raw. I guess it will be comparing NSX raw vs S2000 raw. It's a different "raw" in it's own way.
- Yes, they are worth 10-12k if you can find a well maintain one.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:09 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by BLacK FirE
FWD/AWD/RWD it doesn't matter.
It matters a LOT to me. Fundamentally different feel, even at normal, slow, around-town driving. I can *feel* the drive wheels being unloaded in an fwd car even just putt-putting around. Start driving aggressively and it just sucks.

Even if the difference in outright performance potential might not be all that great at modest power/weight levels(say, >10 lb/hp), in terms of driving enjoyment, it MATTERS. To me...
Old 12-20-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Young_R
"Are Type Rs that enjoyable to drive? Are they even more raw than S2Ks? Do you think they're definitely worth $10-$12K? Thanks in advance."

This was OP's question and some how the thread went other direction...

To answer your question, most will agree:
- Very enjoyable to ride.
- I wouldn't say "more" raw but just as raw. I guess it will be comparing NSX raw vs S2000 raw. It's a different "raw" in it's own way.
- Yes, they are worth 10-12k if you can find a well maintain one.
Thanks for your input... and for trying to get the thread refocused on my original questions.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt consider it unless you had a safe place to garage it.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:30 AM

someday you will be glad you owned a Type R, no doubt about it. If money and parking spots were not an issue, it's definitely a car that I'd own. I would not basterdize it, swap it, or cage it. Mostly stock with better shocks and added RSB with reinforcements. Minimal fender roll to tuck 225s.

If I was to start a collection of cars, it's up there in the top 10 of vehicles under 50G that I'd just have to have. White ITR, black CR S2000, Red EK hatch with K24 frank swap pushin 280whp Maybe an NSX but that bitch would have to be supercharged cuz I can't look that fly and be slower than my Hatch
Old 12-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
someday you will be glad you owned a Type R, no doubt about it. If money and parking spots were not an issue, it's definitely a car that I'd own. I would not basterdize it, swap it, or cage it. Mostly stock with better shocks and added RSB with reinforcements. Minimal fender roll to tuck 225s.

If I was to start a collection of cars, it's up there in the top 10 of vehicles under 50G that I'd just have to have. White ITR, black CR S2000, Red EK hatch with K24 frank swap pushin 280whp Maybe an NSX but that bitch would have to be supercharged cuz I can't look that fly and be slower than my Hatch

This guy gets it.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:13 AM

I love my Integra. It is one of the best car I have owned and regret selling it every time I think about it.

I had the integra for three years, AP2 for over 2 years, and now nsx for almost 4 years. I cannot wait to get back in an ITR, of course, I will not sell the NSX to get one.

The car just feels very special and easy to have have fun in. Such a reliable car and with stock exhaust please... Aww I am killing myself thinking about it. I want to buy one now but have to save money. I wish when I have more disposable income, I will be able to find a clean white ITR.

Quick Reply: Acura Integra Type R