Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura TL experiences?

Old 07-28-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Jul 28 2006, 01:47 PM
Just for comparison sake I would drive a Lex 350, and maybe even a Legacy GT.

The Legacy gets zero points for snob appeal but is an absolute blast for the money and a limited has a rather nice interior and awd as a bonus.

I've only been in TSX's a few times and never behind the wheel but I think they are underrated by too many people for not having nine million horsepower. Its a heck of a nice car.
The Legacy sucks gas (premium) like a fiend compared to the Lex and Acura. Well, let me rephrase that, if you don't drive it like a turbo car (i.e., full throttle starts, wot, etc) then you'll get decent mileage. Stomp on the pedal and engage the turbo and watch that fuel needle go down.

Both the Lex ES and IS are great cars with typical Lex build quality. If going for the G35, then wait for the new gen. Either you'll get to drive a much better looking G or can deal like mad on the leftovers.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:02 PM

One thing I can say with certainty about the TL: it is a GORGEOUS car (esp. with a factory body kit)!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 PM

I didn
Old 07-29-2006, 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=y2ks2k,Jul 28 2006, 01:29 PM] I didn
Old 07-29-2006, 02:39 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My comparo stats:
Little sister has an 05 TL Auto Navi, sister in law has a G35x, wife drives an 05 RL.

One year ago we were shopping for a TL for my wife as the transmission on her American built Element had to be replaced. After doing tons of research, the TL was the clear winner on paper in the $30k midsize luxury segment due to the sheer amount of features provided for the price. We were about 10 minutes from pulling the trigger until we took it for a test drive and it felt 'loose' and strangely cavernous. I also had informed her that the TL was built in the states and she had a sudden change of heart. We regrouped, checked out a bunch of other cars (gs300awd, g35x, m35x, fx35, and the rl). Left with the RL and am very happy with the decision because we strongly believe we dodged a bullet.

I had recommended the G35x to my sister as she had recently sold her POS audi and was looking for something a bit more reliable to roll around in. But after borrowing my sister inlaw's car while she was on holiday for two weeks, we immediately realized how bland and uninspiring the car was. The interior was executed poorly, as was the external styling. The G35C imo, is one a very beautiful design, and it's a shame that the same sleek line didnt make it to the sedan.

After the two weeks, my sister was convinced that she wanted the TL. I was quite happy for her as I knew that the TL was a great car and would serve her well for the next 5 years and beyond. But to her dismay, problems have been springing up, but with most being centered around build quality and poor material selection.

The car creaks, squeaks and cracks over normal undulations in the pavement. I've spent hours upon hours trying to pinpoint each rattle. Equipped with a panel puller, sticky felt tabs, lithium grease, and leather strips, I had remedied 5 rattles, but new ones would rear their ugly heads in different temperatures, different roads, and at various speeds. She's pretty much given up and now drives with the sunroof open and/or the radio cranked. The car had pulled to the right since the day she bought it. Acura had claimed that they performed two alignments, and swore up and down that it was fixed. My guess is that they adjusted the toe to straighten the steering wheel and rotated the tires, but never performed an alignment because the car began to track right again after a few hundred miles.

My sister is a petite asian woman in her 30's who does not beat on the car and certainly should not be leaving butt prints on the leather nor have the bolsters crack! The dealer had refused to replace the drivers seat even with less than 15k miles stating that it was due to excess cornering and normal wear evidenced by the uneven wear on the tires.

Other than those gripes, the car is absolutely wonderful. The bluetooth, navigation (though the RL's navi screen is much nicer ), mix of sport and luxury, looks, and driving enjoyment make it easy for my sister to deem these irksome annoyances as trite, whereby if this were my car, I'd be down right livid. This, plus our Element have made me quite wary of any Honda built outside of Japan.

Anyways, She's still very happy with her 'white knight', and have convinced her friends to pick up TL's as well.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:24 PM

The dealer kept telling me it was a "rare car"...

yet there were 6 of them on the lot
Old 07-29-2006, 06:14 PM

There's no doubt the TL is one sexy car. Too bad that design sense didn't have any influence up and down the Acura. ladder.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:23 AM

As someone said I think it depends on what generation of TL we are talking about. Second generation TL's did have their share of transmission problems, but I don't hear about that as mush with the latest gen. Also, isn't the G35 similar to the 350Z which also has a history of transmission problems?

My buddy test drove both an 05' g35 and tl. He actually said the tl felt faster (especially off the line) and the shifter was much smoother and more precise. He did say the g35 handled better. In the end it will depend on your prioties, but I would bet on the acura if you are concerned with long-term reliability and everyday practicality. On the other hand you could wait to see what the upated g35 has to offer.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 AM

this is quite disapointing. so much negative feedback on the TL and pretty much a common theme, lots of rattles. I was expecting favorable feedback, being an Acura and its not exactly an econo car. It seemed so much more put together than the G35, but apparently not
Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 AM

I dunno, my experience with an Acura TL was quite positive. I had a loaner, didn't actually own it.

Maybe the problems you guys encountered developed over long term...but even then, my friend's TL seems to have no problems, either. I guess it just varies from person to person.

When I drove it, I loved the interior, and I thought the fit and finish was of Acura standard. What isn't Acura standard is my RSX, which does rattle here and there.

Quick Reply: Acura TL experiences?