Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Acura TSX or Lexus IS300

Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acura TSX or Lexus IS300

so I am about to have a baby around next May and I am in a search of a bigger car. I was thinking of either the Acura TSX or Lexus IS300 (Altezza). What do you guys think?

It is an effort of having more space and lowering car payments.

Thanks
Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 AM

I bought an IS300 when they first introduced the manual tranny option and the car was underwhelming. I bought it with the intention of modifying the car but the amount of body roll, lack of power and the ridges on the dash always bothered me about this car. It was solid and had Toyota/Lexus quality and was RWD but just didn't do it for me. I'm currently on year 3 of my 2007 TSX 6 speed and while it's certainly not a fast car it handles well and the engine is at least eager to rev. It is comfortable...quiet and relatively fun to drive. It's a great car just lacks some power and since mine is an 07...there aren't any after market FI options due to the ECU not being cracked by Hondata. I will keep my TSX til the wheels fall off...great car.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 AM

thanks for the input. that was my only hesitation on the IS300, Lexus doesn't seem to make cars that handle or theyre soft. I'm used to BMW handling.

But if you we're to add aftermarket suspension I wonder if it makes a difference
Old 10-05-2010, 07:24 AM

Just a different perspective: I drove both the TSX and the IS300 back in '04 and ended up buying the IS without hesitation. The TSX seemed underpowered by comparison, the FWD was annoying, and the interior didn't seem as quality and quiet to me. I found the handling in the IS300 to be more neutral than the TSX; I thought both had a good bit of body roll. You can absolutely tighten the IS up with some suspension mods, although I haven't personally bothered. I actually find the IS to have BMW-like handling -- much closer than the Acura or the Infiniti G35 anyway.

6 years on, it's still dead reliable and fun to drive.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:27 AM

TSX. While underpowered in my opinion, still a fun car to drive with a lot of luxury. The IS300 is severely out of date.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its going to be your only car, you might want to look at other cars as well.

I have two kids, and the only thing I can tell you is that kids require a lot of crap to go with them ... That + rear facing child seats take up a lot of space!

Find someone that will let you borrow a rear facing car seat and try to fit that thing in the Lexus and the TSX. From what I can remember, the Lexus does not have a lot of rear seat space.

Just food for thought.

J
Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Thanks R1 for the input
Old 10-05-2010, 09:29 AM

I know noone wants to hear it but Minivans are freaking amazing. I just rented one twice this year and its unbelieveable the amount of utility AND comfort you get for the price. Plus its generally better MPG than SUVs
Old 10-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts

Get a Miata, then you can track it on the weekends and your kids can track it when they grow up.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 AM

I just can't get myself into owning a minivan lol

Quick Reply: Acura TSX or Lexus IS300