Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Advice on M3 vs. 335is

Old 02-14-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

E46 M3.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by fallen612,Feb 14 2010, 07:10 PM
my dad has a dinan 335i. its a quick car now. will beat a M3. He averages 23.5 mpg. he drives the car about 7k a year though. Mostly to cars and coffee, and his moms house. lol. (hes retired). but the car handles surprisingly well.
You see, I know these Dinan/flash cars are fast. But my question is "where" do they beat the M3. Maybe to 60mph but I still think the M has a higher top end. I could be wrong here. What is the quartermile and trap speeds if you dont mind me asking.

Sorry to take this somewhat OT. :-(
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's get two things out of the way:
1) I have a strong bias toward the M3
2) I haven't driven the 335is

I first drove the 335i in 12/06, when my wife and I went test driving cool cars just for the fun of it. The BMW dealer was our first stop. We liked, but didn't fall in love w/, the 335. I wasn't about to give up my S2000 for it, but asked my wife if she'd like it to replace her Jetta TDI, and she declined (not out of preference, but she's more frugal and didn't see the need). We drove a Cayman S and Z51 C6 the same day, and I ended up replacing my S2000 w/ a Cayman S the next month, even though it was a bit more than I was comfortable spending.

Flash forward a couple of years. We now have a kid, and the Cayman S was gathering dust in the garage - not a DD, but the family couldn't travel in it together for weekend fun...so we decided to check out BMW, STI, etc.

We decided to check out the 335i again, and the M3. The sales guy told us we should drive the 335i, and it was every bit as nice as I remember...torquey, competent, but missing something. When we swapped into the M3, I fell in love before we even left sight of the dealership. The engine sound alone is almost worth the difference. Add in all the other advantages (tauter, adj. suspension, M diff, nicer wheels/tires, better seats/int. materials, alum. subframes, more aggressive bodywork, etc.), and to me it feels like a totally different, and much more exciting, competent car. I ended up w/ an E90 M3, and prob. would have picked the STI over the 335i based on fun factor.

It's not a cheap car to run, and only you can decide if it's worth it. I get about 16 mpg avg. in admittedly spirited driving. The engine sounds so great, and the acceleration is so intoxicating, that I just can't drive it too conservatively. I was a bit anxious about fuel economy pre-purchase, but it's enough fun that I accept it for what it is.

If the M3 is too much of a stretch financially, consider a couple of other options. The Lexus IS-F IMO is much more desirable than a 335, and gets low 20's on the highway. They're also cheaper than the M3. Biggest downside is tight rear seating.

If you're determined to get a BMW, consider a 335D. I haven't driven one, but acceleration and torque seems very impressive, and it will get economy car-like fuel consumption. I wouldn't be surprised if it's every bit as much fun as the 335i.

I can't tell you how many times I've considered selling my M3 (mostly b/c most of my car fun is on-track in my MX-5 nowadays), but every time I take it through some twisties and rev it out, I fall back in love - it's truly a great car, w/ a combination of performance, luxury, and comfort that's hard to beat.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM

get a 335, it s a shame to tear up a M3 with so much commuting plus maintenance on the m3 is far more intensive.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Feb 14 2010, 07:40 PM
You see, I know these Dinan/flash cars are fast. But my question is "where" do they beat the M3. Maybe to 60mph but I still think the M has a higher top end. I could be wrong here. What is the quartermile and trap speeds if you dont mind me asking.

Sorry to take this somewhat OT. :-(
he has never ran his car at the track. me and him were screwing around on the road one day and he straight up left my s2k. lol. But the flash is suppose to put it at 380 hp and 420 lbs of torque. or something close for the stage 2 software. The car def pulls hard down low, but the car pulls very hard up top as well. seems to actually pull harder up top, it seems very smooth throughout the power band.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:00 PM

My experiences with BMWs are pretty bad, if you can lease one great, but owning one, be prepared to pay for repairs. I had a V8 5 series, my ex-wife a 3 series, both required HUGE maintenance costs after about 60k miles.

BUT nothing rolls like a BMW, from that perspective they are lovely cars, it just depends how important is that great driving expeirience. For me...I drive a Acura TL now, not nearly as nice as the 5, but good enough for me.

Look at tire prices on the M3, you'll think twice about good ones when they cost you $1500 every 12000 miles and at 25K per year, that is sizable money
Old 02-14-2010, 07:19 PM

One of the post mentioned how a 335i will be "faster" with mods. Well no shit guy. The M3 is a total complete package that does everything well. You can't compare the chassis and driving dynamics between the two.

Don't compare just the numbers like HP and Torque like some of these guys say because numbers aren't everything. Most of the posts I read in here are magazine and benchmark racing BS.

Go with what fits your needs. You will always open a can of worms on internet forums about car comparisons. Who cares? After all the opinions you read here...they probably don't give a shit what car you buy. They're not driving it, you are.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 PM

dont know if this is 100% true or not but this is what i heard when they made the 335i. I think it was a thread on bimmer forums. but like i said im not 100%.

they made the 335i engine and when the origionally tested it, it made more power than the m3. they had it on like 12psi or something in that range. after they discovered it was more powerfull than the M car they couldnt have a 3 series with more power. so they lowered the stock psi to either 5 or 8, i cant remember and from the factory it makes less than the M3. That is why it is so easy to pull power out of the 335, 135, and new Z4.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fallen612,Feb 14 2010, 10:24 PM
dont know if this is 100% true or not but this is what i heard when they made the 335i. I think it was a thread on bimmer forums. but like i said im not 100%.

they made the 335i engine and when the origionally tested it, it made more power than the m3. they had it on like 12psi or something in that range. after they discovered it was more powerfull than the M car they couldnt have a 3 series with more power. so they lowered the stock psi to either 5 or 8, i cant remember and from the factory it makes less than the M3. That is why it is so easy to pull power out of the 335, 135, and new Z4.
It's so easy to pull power out of it b/c it's a turbo w/ boost set at a level where BMW is comfortable warrantying it. This is nothing new to the 335i, just look at similar HP boosts available w/ the Supra Turbo, FD RX-7, Evo, STI, 911 TT, etc.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:39 PM

had two friends that were bmw techs before they got laid off, but they saw 335i in for warranty work all the time.. i forgot the exact reason.. but he persuaded me away from it

Quick Reply: Advice on M3 vs. 335is