Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Alfa Giulia base model....

Old 04-05-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
Short version, there is a board that approves any employee increases. Many on the board think the employees make too much and have stiffed everyone that works here with no pay raise for as long as five years at a time. I am near the top of the group and I make more than the people on the board and more than most of my coworkers. I don't want to fan the flames of "the employees make too much" and have what I drive impact my coworker getting or not getting a raise by giving the board members the impression we are all just fat and happy.

I am fine keeping the car on the down low as far as work is concerned. You can drive a decent car, just not over the top flashy. If you drive in a new full size pickup that costs $55k, nobody takes notice. If you drive in a used Porsche that cost the same eyebrows go up. Its all perception, but I am ok with it. In a few years when I am closer to retirement and the car will have a street value of $35k or so, then it will be fine. Its the nameplate that would bug people.
That stuff is so annoying but very real. I got some flak for getting my M3 at age 32. People just assume it's an M3, it looks pretty new, so it must be $$$. I mean it's not a cheap car, but people don't consider A) cars are my #1 passion, I don't spend a lot of money on much else, B) I made $5k selling an E39 M5 I had for 6.5 years, and $1k selling my S2k after 3.5 years, and those allowed me to buy the M3 with cash - unlike most of them who probably buy or lease a new, normal car every 3-4 years, constantly having payments while never owning something outright.

I bet a $10k '97 Boxster would raise more eyebrows than a brand new $70k Land Cruiser that depreciated the entire value of the Boxster on Day 1. People are idiots.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
People are idiots.
Sadly, all too true. Especially anything auto related.

Its the same with the S. I bought it used. Its probably one of the least expensive cars in the work parking lot. Their average Accord, pickup, or minivan cost their owners more than I paid. Forget the Bimmers and the like. Yet people act like its some extravagance, an irresponsible indulgence. Pointing out this fact does little to alter their perception.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

Its the same with the S. I bought it used. Its probably one of the least expensive cars in the work parking lot. Their average Accord, pickup, or minivan cost their owners more than I paid. Forget the Bimmers and the like. Yet people act like its some extravagance, an irresponsible indulgence. Pointing out this fact does little to alter their perception.
The S2000 is the cheapest car I have owned in terms of actual cost of ownership. What else could you want?

1. Virtually no depreciation, and possible appreciation (made money on mine after taking it from 47k to 70k in 3.5 years and tracking it a few times)
2. Dead reliable
3. Affordable consumables like modestly-sized brakes and tires
4. Decent fuel economy
5. Simple design - very little to go wrong, esp. with electronics
6. Can be purchased anywhere from under $10k on up

Not many cars of ANY type, let alone sports cars, will cost you so little to own and operate. And likely no brand new cars other than the rare freak $$$ sports cars that appreciate (911R, GT3/4, etc.).
Old 04-05-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Random q, but have you ever driven a Chevy SS? Understated but I think the driving experience is akin to a 5-Series, without the badge issue, but with a proper stick.

Otherwise, you could always drive this to work as it check all the boxes:

Spoiler

- German
- Makes you look like you need a raise
Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy

I pointed this out to a (prior) co-worker who had a brand-new half ton in the parking lot. I asked him what his truck cost...then told him what my S2000 cost, along with my old beater pickup (combined, about $10K less than he'd paid). I told him I chose to spend my money differently than him (two used vehicles rather than one brand new one) and that I spent less as well. He didn't have much to say after that about how I must be doing "pretty good".
Old 04-05-2017, 05:04 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT

- German
- Makes you look like you need a raise
I LIKE IT!

Not afraid to try the SS, just have not driven one yet. They will run out of new ones before I am ready so I'd have to find a used one. Need to make another year of payments on the Cayman before I am ready to pounce.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I LIKE IT!

Not afraid to try the SS, just have not driven one yet. They will run out of new ones before I am ready so I'd have to find a used one. Need to make another year of payments on the Cayman before I am ready to pounce.
Check out MT's video of the SS... featuring my old M5! My friend who I sold it to is friends with Jason Cammisa, and let him borrow it for the shoot
Old 04-06-2017, 11:00 AM

Cool.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Just drove the base engine AWD version. A lot to like.

If I bought one, I would get RWD because it is lighter and I thought the AWD intrudes too much and by that I mean you get 0 feeling of RWD bias that I could notice. In my Xdrive Bimmer, it feels RWD most of the time and only shifts power forward at slip. I was told by the sales manager during straight line sprints the Guilia AWD is only 65% power to the rear and in corners it can go down from there. The car did not feel very fast. It has power and 300 torques but it did not feel that quick. I never felt pushed back in the seat even though the car was gaining speed at a decent clip. The transmission felt lazy for the first few miles and then started to snap off shifts later. Maybe it has a cold cycle but the car felt far livelier at the end of the drive than the first several miles.

But I did like the interior very much, quite comfortable, good ergonomics and sporty feel. Nice steering wheel and GREAT seats with hefty side bolstering in the sport model. Legroom in the back looks kind of tight but front passenger comfort is pretty good. Steering had a little more feeling than my very dead-numb electric assisted 3 series, but that is not saying much. It is a very quick rack though and has a great darty feel to it which I liked quite a bit. Very quiet and comfortable at speed and cruising, supposed to have stellar gas mileage for a sport sedan. Love the Alfa 5-hole wheels. Nice leather on the seats, dash and door panels with tasteful wood trim accents. Sporty suspension that if I had my way would be one notch stiffer but a good compromise between sport and comfort.

I think it is a really nice alternative to a 328i with more sport leaning ride and steering, quicker acceleration and better interior. I can option out a nicely equipped one for about $43k where the Bimmer or Audi A4 can top $50k quickly. There are intangibles about my Bimmer I like better, it seems to feel more solid in the switchgear, door, handles etc. The Alfa trunk vibrates visibly like thin cheap metal when you slam it, but it is a lighter car. But at the price there is a lot to like about the car. Strap into the sport version seats, lower the seat to the floor and take a few corners and you will probably like the package.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I test drove one last week.

I was TREMENDOUSLY disappointed. I did not like the trans, steering or brakes in any way.

Felt more like an Accord than a sport sedan.

Quick Reply: Alfa Giulia base model....