Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Another Baby Driven Car Decision

Old 11-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm. Tough spot to be in. I guess to answer the question about the S2000 first, does not getting to drive the S2000 bother you? I have friends who kept their S2000s after having kids, and I think to them, they still enjoy having them, even if they don't get to go out in them that much. They enjoy working on them, washing them and keeping them looking nice, and the kids even enjoy spending time with dad working on the car (best way to raise car enthusiasts, right!?). For these guys selling their S2000 wasn't even an option. And honestly, there isn't a better car to keep, as the values on S2000s seem to have hit the bottom of their depreciation curve and S2000s are pretty cheap to keep going (Honda Reliability!) If you enjoy having it and can deal with not getting to drive it as much, you should probably keep it (assuming parking, cost, etc are not prohibitive factors).

Having said that, I really enjoy driving, and for me, keeping a car that I don't drive has never been an enjoyable prospect. I don't really have the space for it, I don't really enjoy the cleaning and upkeep the way some people do. Also, I would rather drive something fun everyday than drive something boring during the week and something fun on the weekends. But there are no wrong ways to do it. If having a fun car for the weekend makes more sense to you, that's what you should do. Will getting the boy in and out of the car seat in the back of a coupe be a chore? Probably, but if it's just for fun, it's probably no big deal. BUT DEFINITELY check to make sure the car will work with your carseat. I was suprised at how many back seats (I was looking exclusively at cars with 4/5 doors) did NOT comfortably fit a rear facing kid seat.

If you can live without the convertible, you could definitely combine your IS300 and S2000 into one fun daily driver, something with 4 doors that it easy to get him in and out of. These include:

Subaru WRX/STI
VW GTI/R
Focus ST/RS

There are probably a number of number of sports sedans that would work too, I just don't find them to be nearly as frisky as the hot hatch options. YMMV

Last edited by Marioshi; 11-07-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:38 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Response on your WRX S3 question:

I havent driven the S3 yet so no experience there.

WRX/STi: I've driven several 2015+ WRX and one 2016 Sti:

The WRX is a good daily driver, its a sporty sedan that is quick. It can be as boring or fun as you want it to be.

The STi while much different than the S2000 has some things in common with the S IMO. The STi is wonderful and makes perfect sense WHEN you are driving it spiritedly. The clutch, the stock tune, the fast revs, the whole package really just acts like it wants to be raced all the time. The clutch is pretty grabby, the throttle is super sensitive, the suspension is stiff. It's great when you're on your favorite backroad. The car handles wonderfully, steering rack is quick, shifts are short and direct, the turbo is a little laggy but it really just adds to the drama of driving the car which I really liked. The downside is the car is kind of extreme to daily drive. Not something I'd want to drive downtown with or sit in traffic with either, just like the S. The S is great when you're flying down your favorite road, not so much trying to daily drive it IMO.

Personally, I am probably going with a loaded WRX for a few years. Maybe the S3 once I test drive it it may win me over.

Imagine yourself in the pouring down rain with the door open to a coupe trying to contort yourself getting the kid out of the car. You both will be miserable after that experience. Also coupes usually have long doors, do you have room in your garage to have the door fully swung open to get yourself and child in the car? I can't reiterate enough how much a coupe is just not worth the hassle if you're going to take the kids in it every day. Finally, read this article:

2013 Ford Mustang GT: Will It Baby?

Scroll down and see what this guy had to go through in a fairly roomy Mustang coupe... and do note that was for a forward facing carseat. The rear facing will be 10x worse.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:42 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

A subi will rattle pretty quickly and turbo lag on STI is bad. Cabin size is good.

if I was to do it again I would get a Jeep SRT for daily and keep a sports car. Jeep has some serious go, will stop and corner like you wouldn't believe. Awd for snow and good crash rating:
Old 11-08-2016, 06:00 AM

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Wait...so you have a Lexus IS and an S2000, and you're thinking of getting rid of the S2000 for another sedan? Wouldn't you be a lot happier with the S2000 to take out on the weekend, and something larger as a daily/baby hauler? I'm fully unqualified to offer baby advice, being married, nearly 40, and childless-by-choice, but I would imagine a taller CUV/SUV would be significantly easier to load/unload a baby in the backseat. In addition to two sports cars (Cayman and S2000), we have a Mazda CX-5 as our third vehicle, and I find I'm perfectly happy tutting along in that one. New ones start in the $25k range...
Old 11-08-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my 2008 IS-F with rear facing car seats w/ no issue; not sure in glancing through if that would be an option. It's tough to find 4-door fun cars (I had a 2006 STI before the IS-F) but maybe also look if you get lucky finding a good deal on something like CTS-V or maybe even a Charger SRT8? Once I hit 90k miles, and both the kids were in front facing seats, I switched it for a 2015 Mustang GT (wanted to keep the power and couldn't afford much out of pocket w/ trade) and don't mind the 2-door aspect even with 2 full size carseats in the back.

Good luck in your decision, though I will say the 128/135 will be TIGHT if the seats even fit in the back.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Hmmm. Tough spot to be in. I guess to answer the question about the S2000 first, does not getting to drive the S2000 bother you? I would rather drive something fun everyday than drive something boring during the week and something fun on the weekends. BUT DEFINITELY check to make sure the car will work with your carseat. I was suprised at how many back seats (I was looking exclusively at cars with 4/5 doors) did NOT comfortably fit a rear facing kid seat. If you can live without the convertible, you could definitely combine your IS300 and S2000 into one fun daily driver, something with 4 doors that it easy to get him in and out of. These include:

Subaru WRX/STI
VW GTI/R
Focus ST/RS
Thanks for the words of wisdom, Marioshi. I would call my issue more of a first-world problem than a tough spot. I could afford to keep my S2000 around, but I'm a practical person who's not fond of paying insurance, local property tax, registration fees, emission and safety checks, etc. for a car I don't use often. On the other hand, part of me really does like having a pristine toy on the garage. It might sound strange to some S2000 fans, but I've really become attached to my IS300, because it is a little quirky (being a somewhat rare SportCross) and I did a lot of my own work on it when I bought it, so it means a little more to me. Plus, the exterior is pretty ratty, so it's really nice to not worry about where I drive and park it. Finally, I like a little variety, so complementing my weekday wagon with something dissimilar (like the S2000) has appeal for me.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Dizings2k
The STi while much different than the S2000 has some things in common with the S IMO. The STi is wonderful and makes perfect sense WHEN you are driving it spiritedly. The clutch, the stock tune, the fast revs, the whole package really just acts like it wants to be raced all the time. The clutch is pretty grabby, the throttle is super sensitive, the suspension is stiff. It's great when you're on your favorite backroad. The car handles wonderfully, steering rack is quick, shifts are short and direct, the turbo is a little laggy but it really just adds to the drama of driving the car which I really liked. The downside is the car is kind of extreme to daily drive. Not something I'd want to drive downtown with or sit in traffic with either, just like the S. The S is great when you're flying down your favorite road, not so much trying to daily drive it IMO.

Imagine yourself in the pouring down rain with the door open to a coupe trying to contort yourself getting the kid out of the car. You both will be miserable after that experience. Also coupes usually have long doors, do you have room in your garage to have the door fully swung open to get yourself and child in the car? I can't reiterate enough how much a coupe is just not worth the hassle if you're going to take the kids in it every day. Finally, read this article:

2013 Ford Mustang GT: Will It Baby?

Scroll down and see what this guy had to go through in a fairly roomy Mustang coupe... and do note that was for a forward facing carseat. The rear facing will be 10x worse.
Great insight Dizings! I really appreciate the comparison between the STi and S2000, as I've never even sat in an STi. Hopefully, that will change at some point, though it has been harder than expected to arrange a test drive with all the craziness around our house with the new baby. You also paint quite the picture about loading a child in the rain, especially since our garage is super narrow. I keep coming back to the idea that I would only drive any new 4-seat convertible on sunny days, but maybe that won't even be enough. I'll probably look like a weirdo, but I'm thinking about having my wife sit behind me during a test drive of the 135i. She is very petite, but I don't expect she will fit, though I think it might be a good litmus test of any car we consider.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
Wait...so you have a Lexus IS and an S2000, and you're thinking of getting rid of the S2000 for another sedan? Wouldn't you be a lot happier with the S2000 to take out on the weekend, and something larger as a daily/baby hauler? We have a Mazda CX-5 as our third vehicle, and I find I'm perfectly happy tutting along in that one. New ones start in the $25k range...
Hi Jeff. None of the original cars I mentioned are sedans, though I see how somebody could think that since I mentioned the STi but didn't caveat that I only like them as hatchbacks. I have been very happy taking my S2000 out on weekends, but that never happens anymore unless I make a solo errand run, which aren't much of a thrill. I like CX5s and even recommended one to my parents, but my wife and I are perfectly happy with how my IS300 and her Fit handle baby duties... so far.

Last edited by ndfan; 11-08-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by secondreality
I drove my 2008 IS-F with rear facing car seats w/ no issue; not sure in glancing through if that would be an option. It's tough to find 4-door fun cars (I had a 2006 STI before the IS-F) but maybe also look if you get lucky finding a good deal on something like CTS-V or maybe even a Charger SRT8? Once I hit 90k miles, and both the kids were in front facing seats, I switched it for a 2015 Mustang GT (wanted to keep the power and couldn't afford much out of pocket w/ trade) and don't mind the 2-door aspect even with 2 full size carseats in the back.

Good luck in your decision, though I will say the 128/135 will be TIGHT if the seats even fit in the back.
I have considered IS-Fs, and I think that it might be a good option if I decide to get rid of both the IS300 and S2000. Ultimately, I have found sporty 4-door cars (like the IS-F, CTS-V, Charger SRT) to be less nimble than I prefer. I tend to prefer lighter "momentum" cars, though I think we're finding those are fairly incompatible with baby seats! Plus, I don't think any of the aforementioned sedans would fit in my garage, which would be fine if I got one with exterior flaws (like my IS300 currently does).
Old 11-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ndfan
I have considered IS-Fs, and I think that it might be a good option if I decide to get rid of both the IS300 and S2000. Ultimately, I have found sporty 4-door cars (like the IS-F, CTS-V, Charger SRT) to be less nimble than I prefer. I tend to prefer lighter "momentum" cars, though I think we're finding those are fairly incompatible with baby seats! Plus, I don't think any of the aforementioned sedans would fit in my garage, which would be fine if I got one with exterior flaws (like my IS300 currently does).
You must have a tiny garage if you can't fit an ISF in it. Honestly you're not going to find something 'lightweight', 'nimble', that can fit a baby seat comfortably/easily that will fit in your garage. I would just keep what you have.

Quick Reply: Another Baby Driven Car Decision