Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Any Honda Pilot owners here?

Old 05-09-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't FWD on something as big as a Pilot be almost dangerous?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,May 9 2010, 01:32 PM
Hang on a second. They make a FWD Honda Pilot? Is that a new thing? When I was working at the dealership, I don't recall there being any FWD Pilots.
A lot of misinformation going on here.

As far as I know, there has been only ONE available drivetrain for the Pilot, and it's a part-time AWD, which means in normal situations, it drives the front wheels but when it detects slippage, the AWD system kicks in instantly. It also has a button to push to activate the AWD system when you're stuck. In normal operation, driving just the front wheels saves gas, when 4 wheels are not needed. We average ~20mpg.

The Pilot didn't win C&D's 5Best Trucks/SUVs several years in a row for nothing; and countless of praises from other magazines.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes there is a FWD Pilot. No it is not dangerous.

/end threadjack
Old 05-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Well, I'll be damned. Starting in 2006, FWD-only version was also an option. When I bought mine, there was only AWD, called the VTM-4.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.,May 9 2010, 01:32 PM
Hang on a second. They make a FWD Honda Pilot? Is that a new thing? When I was working at the dealership, I don't recall there being any FWD Pilots.
I was thinking the same thing. My sister got one when they came out and I never recalled seeing one. Interesting to know they added it later.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:35 PM

My wife has a 2010 FWD Pilot and it's not dangerous. LOL. It's perfect for her driving around town and on the highway, which is all we do with it. It's a 2nd generation, but we haven't had any problems with it. She loves it and I like finally having something big to haul stuff around in.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Wife drives a FWD 2009 Pilot with close to 30k miles. Bro in law has a 2005 FWD model and closing in on 100k miles. Both never had an issue. LOL at FWD being dangerous. Drive one and it drives and handles like a car. Turn in is actually quite quick for SUV this size. Only fulltime AWD I'm aware of is the Subaru Tribeca. Everything else is only FWD or FWD biased. If AWD or 4WD, it's the higher trim lines.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ FWIW The newer BMWs have RWD based AWD and Landcruisers have had full time AWD since the early 90s.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 AM

We have an 06 Pilot with 72,000 miles on the clock, and we've never had a problem. The engine is super smooth, better in fact than the engine in my partner's BMW X5, at least in my opinion. The only thing that I have a problem is that I think that the seats are not the most comfortable, but I am spoiled because my daily driver is a Passat. The other thing that I have against the Pilot (and this is increasingly true of many Japanese products) is that the tactility of the interior plastics is rather hard. The dash top reminds me of the sort of plastics that American manufacturers put in trucks and SUVs throughout the 90 and into the early 2000s. But Honda is building this vehicle to a price point. Given the size and weight of the vehicle, it's mileage isn't bad. We have an EX-L, front wheel drive, and the cylinder deactivation system is undetectable.

I will also tell you another plus about the Pilot. We had an 04, and it was hit while my wife was driving it. The accident occurred in I-4 in Tampa, and it was a fairly high speed collison. The vehicle did two 360s, never flipped, and while every body panel was bent and distorted, none of the doors openned. It did a great job in that accident, and when the vehicle was totalled we immediately replaced it with another Pilot. That kind of gives you an indication of where I stand on the Pilot.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an original owner of a MY04 EXL with ~97k.
I've not had ANY issues with the car. It is rock solid...knocks wood.
The tranny was an issue for some early models. Look up 'Flashing D'...it was some type of gear sensor. I would get another one, if they weren't so f'ing ugly now. Plus they are slightly larger and garages in NYC hit you up for an oversized vehicle.
Piloteer.org has decent information about the Pilot.

Quick Reply: Any Honda Pilot owners here?