Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Anyone own an early 90's Corvette ZR1?

Old 04-05-2019, 06:57 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Anyone own an early 90's Corvette ZR1?

A nice example just came up for sale near me. Black 1990 with 11,121 miles on it. I'm just curious if there are any ZR1 owners here who can comment on parts availability with the LT5 engine and any other things that I may need to know. I am researching it but it would be nice to hear from actual owners.

I am interested in this car because it is the car that got me into being a "car guy" back in school. I can still remember buying every magazine that featured it and I even had a cool cutaway poster on my wall.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 04-05-2019 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

driven both a c4 and c5. c4 is a straight line boat. If you are looking for driver experience like a bigger S... c5 or c7...

just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

The C4 is also plagued with electronic issues and the interior ergo is pretty bad. That said, those cars are cool and nice to put away as part of a collection, seems that the right ones are appreciating. I get wanting a car you have sentimental attachment to, but I'd go for a C5 Z06.
The following users liked this post:
Emil St-Hilaire (04-06-2019)
Old 04-05-2019, 11:06 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah the C4 ZR1's are cool but only to guys that know what they are. The engines being such "limited production" I would think there would be an issue finding parts.

TheDonEffect has it right, a C5Z has a more bulletproof engine and is better looking IMO. The C4 really looks outdated today.

Don't let that discourage you though. If that's your car, that's your car. Get it and enjoy it.

I know what it's like realizing make a dream car reality. Did it last year with my Viper!
Old 04-05-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to look at it Saturday. Apparently it has been gone through after being bought from an estate of his deceased father, i.e. all fluids changed, belts, tires (age, not wear). All of this was supposedly done by a retired BMW master mechanic who did everything to bring it back to life. It does have an electrical issue with an airbag sensor and the speakers (or radio, not sure) don't work from years of just sitting idle. Asking 19.5k

I haven't driven a C4 for years but I do remember them being harsh. The only other Corvette I have driven was a 2014 Stingray.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 04-05-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Lusted after one of those when they were new.

Just saw one sell on Barret Jackson for $11k.

Problem is the engine which is complicated to the point of being unreplaceable. Additionally, it was outsourced to Mercury Marine(?) so its not even a GM engine.
( I pursued the some specialty thermoplastic business in the timing chain assembly, even that was unique. This is NOT a Chevy small block).

They're cheap because when the engine expires, all you've got is an Vette with a big ass
Old 04-05-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
The only other Corvette I have driven was a 2014 Stingray.
That's what I drive, a 14 C7 Stingray vert. See my sig. I love it!
Old 04-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I remember driving in my uncle's Corvette decades ago and I was in love with it. Then when it was my time to buy one I test drove them and thought they were just terrible, they just didn't age well, and that's what happens when you plan on buying based on sentimental value.

Get a newer model Corvette and you will be miles ahead.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by gerry100
Lusted after one of those when they were new.

Just saw one sell on Barret Jackson for $11k.

Problem is the engine which is complicated to the point of being unreplaceable. Additionally, it was outsourced to Mercury Marine(?) so its not even a GM engine.
( I pursued the some specialty thermoplastic business in the timing chain assembly, even that was unique. This is NOT a Chevy small block).

They're cheap because when the engine expires, all you've got is an Vette with a big ass
You make a great point and that is what initially worried me about the car. I knew about the LT5 being outsourced and I could see myself being stuck when something breaks with either parts not being available or having to waste time searching and searching.

Originally Posted by The Raptor
That's what I drive, a 14 C7 Stingray vert. See my sig. I love it!
I felt like I was in an F16 fighter jet when I drove a coupe. My friend let me have it for an afternoon a couple of years ago and it is an amazing car.

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I remember driving in my uncle's Corvette decades ago and I was in love with it. Then when it was my time to buy one I test drove them and thought they were just terrible, they just didn't age well, and that's what happens when you plan on buying based on sentimental value.

Get a newer model Corvette and you will be miles ahead.
I agree here also. I have driven a C4 before and even then I was underwhelmed. I think I am just blinded by the ZR1 tag right now. It was a supercar to teenage me back in the day. I am still going to go look at it just to know what they are like in person since I want to be sure. I don't think this car will sell quickly. I am still keeping my S2000 and whatever I get will be an extra toy.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 04-06-2019 at 06:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

FWIW even the regular c4s with the original lt1 engines were a bit problematic. The ls engine was just superior in every objective measurement. First some reason vettes in general seem to suffer from some level of electrical issues and the c4 was probably the worst.

They were capable though largely because of the ratio of body size to tire size.

Quick Reply: Anyone own an early 90's Corvette ZR1?