Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

AP1 vs Lotus Elise.....

Old 08-03-2015, 09:18 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default AP1 vs Lotus Elise.....

I don't mean to open up a which is better kind of debate. I do realize the Lotus is much lighter and probably more nimble feeling.? I am just begining to look for my first S2k and waffle back and forth between the AP1 and 2. The reason I bring up the Lotus is that I was fortunate enough to borrow one from a trusting friend a couple of years ago. I drove it for a month and put 3k miles on it through the twisting WV mountains. It was an amazing experience which reignighted my lust for the more attainable s2k. I have never driven or ridden in any S2k. The Lotus limits revs to 8500rpm (I think)but it doesn't have a clearly marked redline. I know the 0-60 time is a bit faster in the Lotus but I figure most of it is off the line due to the nearly 1000lbs less weight. I know one of the main complaints with the AP1 is the lack of torque. Is it more pronounced than in the Lotus? I was fine with the Lotus for around town. Plus it is not going to be a daily driver (though I will likely drive it a lot ..lol). I haven't driven very many other interesting modern sports cars so the Lotus is my only really good point of reference. If the S2k is even 90% as awesome as the Lotus I will be thrilled. Besides I think I would rather OWN a Honda.

Thanks

Jon
Old 08-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Elise uses Toyota's engine from the Celica GTS, the 2ZZ-GE which is similar in style to the F20.
Don't quote me on the numbers, but it makes 190hp and I think 130lbs of torque. While I've never driven an Elise, I would assume that with the weight difference, the in-town driving aspect of the two cars would be very similar. I think your 90% Fun Factor comparison is probably pretty close to accurate in most cases.

Having been an Ap1 owner for 7 years, I never felt the AP1 was a pain due to the lack of torque. It was my DD and I was fine.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
I know one of the main complaints with the AP1 is the lack of torque.
All depends on who you ask and many have a torque fetish. Never had problems with torque and I DD'd my S2000 for a number of years.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lack of torque is a bit exaggerated. Traffic is not going to leave you behind and you should have no problems merging onto the highway. I can still go up a mountain easily in the s2000. I might be at 5,000 rpm in fourth gear, but just like the mustang next to me, we still made it to the top.

But in a quarter mile, I think the lotus clocks at 13.4, whereas the s2000 clocks at 14.1? That's almost a second faster. Big difference.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:03 PM

I agree with everyone else. Fun factor should be very similar as both cars were designed with the drivability in mind. Obviously the power range for the s2k is above 6K, so it is expected that the lower band won't have much torque. I still find it go-kart like. You will be happy.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have been driving a 2004 Cr-v with manual transmission and a painfully slow 1994 Suzuki sidekick with Mud tires and a lift so I am not exactly addicted to torque..lol. I'm sure it will be fine. I can't wait to find one to test drive with the 9k rpm redline. I know a lot of folks on the forum are seasoned sports car veterans who have driven and owned all kinds of cars so their idea of fast is "faster" than mine. To me the Lotus was very fast while some complain of lack of power so I guess its all what you're used to. I could tell that the Lotus was more of a twisty road, great handling car than and all out top speed kind of car. A lot of fun could be had without grossly exceeding the speed limit if at all. That is what i like. I don't need a super high powered highway rocket to tempt fate with like a corvette Z06...lol. I figure even the AP1 is fun out of Vtech compared to what I'm used to now.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:34 PM

No offense ,but I think s2000 is better car for many reasons. My favorite car ever(maybe 997/GT3) ,top on my list and left behind all super cars as NSX,Lotus,Skyline/GTR,rx7 and so(for all of them I have valid reasons).
Lotus is amazing car ,but... to lose weight you have to give up something. Difference in price also can be taken into consideration. Well invested money in s2000 will surpass Lotus.
So few key words here: Maintenance , DD (you said NO ,but get inlove with a car and will become your DD) , Starting price , Tuning options (great market for s2k) , Comfort.
Drive both of them , and you will know
S2000 is not a drag or drift car for me its much more
Old 08-03-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a friend with a 2004 lotus elise sport, which is a track focus elise. It is faster than my S2000, noisier and getting in and out is much more difficult. It is also more expensive to keep up . I would not compare either the ap1 or ap2 to it. I would opt for the ap2 adn i did.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dzenky
No offense ,but I think s2000 its better car for many reasons. My favorite car ever(maybe 997 turbo PDK/GT3) ,top on my list and left behind all super cars as NSX,Lotus,Skyline/GTR,rx7,3000gt,300zx(this is my second place list) and so(for all of them I have valid reasons).
Lotus is amazing car ,but... to lose weight you have to give up something. Difference in price also can be taken into consideration. Well invested money in s2000 will surpass Lotus.
So few key words here: Maintenance , DD (you said NO ,but get inlove with a car and will become your DD) , Starting price , Tuning options (great market for s2k) , Comfort.
Drive both of them , and you will know
S2000 its not a drag or drift car for me its much more
Definitely no offense taken. I am happy to hear opinions that favor the S2000! I'm about to turn 40 and grew up in a Honda family starting with a 1981 Accord when I was in first grade. I would much prefer to own the Honda. It seems more like a daily drivable car that would be reasonable to maintain. I would not be afraid to put miles the S2k as opposed to the likely more finicky Lotus that I would be afraid to rack miles on in fear of maintenance costs and difficulty in self servicing.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Received 192 Likes on 101 Posts

I own a 2007 S2000 and a 2005 Lotus Elise (and a third non-descript daily driver) and I'm happy to share my experiences if you have specific questions. Feel free to PM me.

Which should you get? It really depends on what you want to do with the car, the environment in which you will be driving it, how much money you want to spend (both on the vehicle purchase as well as maintenance -- not to mention insurance), and what your overall expectations are.

The short of it is that, between the two, the S2000 is the one that brings me the most joy in my particular circumstance. That may not be the same for you. Like I said, feel free to PM me if you have specific questions or for the longer explanation of why the S is the one that makes me happier.

Quick Reply: AP1 vs Lotus Elise.....