Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Audi S4 test drive

Old 12-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Audi S4 test drive

I had a quiet Saturday last weekend, and decided to check out the B8 S4 at the local Audi dealer. I got to drive a loaded car with options including Drive Select, 19" wheels and the seven-speed DCT box.

I found the interior modern looking and functional. All the buttons, stalks and switches just felt right to the touch. The seats were nicely formed, supportive and comfortable.

I spent the entire drive with the transmission in manual and Drive Select in Dynamic mode. Steering was well-weighted, but not especially communicative. Audi did a great job making this 4,000lb machine feel like a much lighter car in its responses. I didn't push any big cornering loads during the test drive. Even so, I could tell the S4 was a more agile and athletic car than my E55.

I loved the DCT transmission. Call for a shift and an instant later there's a satisfying burble accompanying the selection of the gear. This thing shifts fast and smooth.

I only had a few opportunities to mat the throttle during the drive. Acceleration was respectable, but nothing that got me very excited. I'm sure the S4 is quicker than the Evo/STI, but the smoothness and linearity of the power delivery makes the speed undramatic.

I liked the S4 a lot. While it's a solid performing car and would make a great daily driver, it's not very a thrilliing drive.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. What was the msrp loaded?
Old 12-27-2009, 03:08 PM

Good review. I drive a B5 S4 Avant (2002) and agree with many of your points. I haven't driven a B8 but I have driven the B6. The B5 is definitely the most fun from an enthusiast's point of view; It is the easiest to upgrade, with the turbochargers giving the most bang for the buck. When the turbos kick into full boost it has a really strong surge that the smooth V8s really lack. They are fast but don't feel fast. The steering feel is pretty numb on all Audi models IMO.

My mom has an A3 with the 2.0T and DSG (same engine/tranny combo that can be had in the 2.0T VW GTI) and I really like driving the DSG type gearbox. It's a good car to have when you live in the city and deal with traffic often. Put it in auto when you're stuck in traffic, and put it in manual when you're looking for some fun. I can imagine an S4 would be just as much fun!

Thanks for the review!
Old 12-27-2009, 03:53 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by psychophd,Dec 27 2009, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the review. What was the msrp loaded?
It was in the high $50k's.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:48 PM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by waltk88,Dec 27 2009, 02:58 PM
I'm sure the S4 is quicker than the Evo/STI, but the smoothness and linearity of the power delivery makes the speed undramatic.
Actually, the STi is just as quick to 60, maybe a **** hair quicker to 60.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good feedback on the S4 test drive.

I noticed you said the S4 is not thrilling to drive, but do you consider the E55 thrilling?

If so, what makes the difference?

I've yet to drive the B8 S4, but I've put miles on an E55.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had to choose between the SC6 S4 and V8 S5. It was a very tough decision. In a lot of ways I wished I'd picked the S4, but I'm still very happy with the S5. I think the new S4 is slightly the better performing vehicle while the S5 brings it in the sound and looks department. 4 doors and better gas mileage sure are convenient though.

I had the S4 sideways on one test drive. That AWD system just locks in and, like the STi, makes a mediocre driver a good one.

And I would have to agree with your assessment of the S4
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend of mine received one of the first new S4s in the country and seems to like it very much. and raved about the transmission. I kind of tossed around the idea of one until I saw it and was bored to tears. Now, on the other hand, the S5 has my full attention, and (ironically enough) took my focus away from trying to find a nice E55 or E63. While I was in L.A. a few weeks ago I saw a BEAUTIFUL white S5 with dark tinted windows and the factory wheels accented with white to match the car and fell in love. Right now the S5 seems to be leading in the looks department over at Audi when it comes to cars most people can reasonably expect to own (hence why I am leaving out the R8). I have yet to drive one. But if it drives as good as it looks, a white S5 may be finding a home with me very soon.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 AM

The B8 S4 has bested the 335i in about 75% of comparison tests, which is no small feat. Granted, the current 335 is a bit long in the tooth, however, no other manufacturer has been able to do this except Infiniti with the G, however, that was was based on a value comparison, which IMO is BS.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1,Dec 28 2009, 08:45 AM
I have yet to drive one. But if it drives as good as it looks, a white S5 may be finding a home with me very soon.
If you're expecting an awesome package -- build quality, style, comfort, power -- and not balls to the wall brute force/power, then you'll love the S5. There is no more complete package out there for the money IMO.

Make sure you get the Bang & Olufsen and Drive Select!

Quick Reply: Audi S4 test drive