Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Automatic Transmission

Old 07-16-2005, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's really nothing wrong with automatics on sporty cars, given they have the "manual" feature (a la steptronic, tiptronic, etc.) those trannies offer the best of both worlds: you can drive it casually around town to get from point A to point B, or you can control the gears (to an extent) if and when you choose to drive spiritedly. manuals, although more ideal for spirited driving, does not allow one to drive it in "automatic" mode, if and when the driver does not feel like having to manipulate the shifter and clutch pedal, and trannies like SMG may appear to be the best of both worlds, are jerky at best in "automatic" mode and requires constant finessing of the trottle, which can become annoying when one is only concerned with driving from point A to point B. the bottom line is that cars are first and foremost a means of transportation, and although in an idea world, everyone will have a manual sportscar for fun, and an automatic sedan or wagon for everyday practicality, reality is that most people do not have that luxury.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by steven975,Jul 16 2005, 03:55 PM
sometimes I think the only reason that manuals still exist are because drivers in europe and japan want them so they can save some gas!
if i am not mistaken, the MPG for an auto tsx his greater than that for a manual tsx. go figure...
Old 07-16-2005, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Jul 16 2005, 05:25 PM
there's really nothing wrong with automatics on sporty cars

I Strongly Disagree
Old 07-16-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't mind the fact that automatics shift automatically, it is that they feel totally disconnected because they send their power through a torque converter.

SMGs also shift automatically, but they are actually connected to the drivetrain. IMO it is a much more satisfying experience.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Jul 16 2005, 07:26 PM
if i am not mistaken, the MPG for an auto tsx his greater than that for a manual tsx. go figure...
Actually, as a general rule, MT's are more fuel efficient than an AT. Usually due to the extra gear.

-Matt
Old 07-17-2005, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cobreth,Jul 16 2005, 10:04 PM
Actually, as a general rule, MT's are more fuel efficient than an AT. Usually due to the extra gear.

-Matt
i KNOW that is true as a general rule, but i was merely pointing out an exception. also, it really isn't true that autos have less gears than manuals. mercedes offer 7-speed autos, if i am not mistaken, and there is yet a production manual tranny (that i know of) that has 7 gears, SMGs not included. so, again, as a general rule, it's true manuals have more gears than autos, but there are exceptions.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Silverstreak HX,Jul 16 2005, 07:20 PM

I Strongly Disagree
well, care to elaborate, aside from banging your head and holding up a BS sign??
Old 07-17-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by steven975,Jul 16 2005, 09:54 PM
i don't mind the fact that automatics shift automatically, it is that they feel totally disconnected because they send their power through a torque converter.

SMGs also shift automatically, but they are actually connected to the drivetrain. IMO it is a much more satisfying experience.
i know SMGs can shift automatically, but my experience with SMGs is that, even in auto mode, you have to feather and finesse the throttle to keep the car smooth, and for someone who is in the mood to just drive from point A to point B with as little fuss as possible, it may feel irritating. in manual mode, an SMG will be way more desirable than a steptronic auto tranny, but in auto mode, an auto tranny does a better job, but that's just my opinion. actually, a tranny that i really like is audi's DSG (whatever they call it). the shifts are quick, and it does not require finessing the throttle to keep the car smooth.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by frank b,Jul 16 2005, 01:56 AM
Welcome to America. A/T sells, no question.....
We don't know how to drive sticks. Look at the ratio of manual /auto Mercedes sold in Europe vs US. Vote Bush.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on the subject, does anybody know if the slk 55 amg is an automatic or a manual but no clutch pedal and just paddles like the bmw m3??

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission