Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Automatic Transmission

Old 07-17-2005, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A car without a clutch just lacks soul. You can keep your SMGs and AT with triptronic ...
Old 07-17-2005, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^i am almost sure that smg's do have clutches; you just dont have to step on the clutch pedal, instead you (usually) press a paddle and it engages the paddle for you
Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Jul 16 2005, 04:26 PM
if i am not mistaken, the MPG for an auto tsx his greater than that for a manual tsx. go figure...
The EPA mileage may be listed higher for the AT TSX, but in the real world the 6MT achieves better mileage. Over on Acurazine, Sauceman has achieved over 38 MPG in his 6MT. I get 32-34 MPG every highway trip I take in my TSX, and I have a manual.

I too am amazed that 6MT TSX' are so rare. The shifter, being a longer throw version of the S2k box, is truly a dream to use. The AT, meanwhile, just saps the fun from the K24A2 (and adds like a second to the 0-60). When I bought my TSX, I had to wait 3 months for them to order the car from Japan with the MT and the color combo I wanted.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by DarkEarth,Jul 17 2005, 06:33 AM
on the subject, does anybody know if the slk 55 amg is an automatic or a manual but no clutch pedal and just paddles like the bmw m3??
Automatic
Old 07-17-2005, 11:07 AM

My daily driver is a manual.

The only automatic I have is my SUV.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We live in a time that technology surpassed human capabilities. Manual transmissions are nothing but a novelty now. They are slower than a good automatic (ie BMW SMG) and serve absolutely NO purpose other than a good burnout. I for one, love manual, and for a road car would never purchase an automatic gearbox, but if I were to purchase something like a Ferrari, the F1 paddles are the only way to go.

Manual transmissions on sportscars are "ricey" so to speak (If a good auto is available)......take a car like the m3....

SMG vs Manual, SMG is faster in every sense of performance...faster track times, launch control flings your car off the line better than you ever could...so using this knowledge, its like getting an exhaust that makes the s2000 lose 10hp. There is NO conceivable reason to get a manual in cars like these other than burning out and showing off to your buddies.
Todays automatics, especially the Ricardo 7 speeds, audi twin clutch DSGs, AMG trannies, are not the automatics of yore (which some old 3 speeds were great as well.)

90% of todays cars given equal hp and tq....most drivers cannot shift as well as the autobox can. S2000 drivers are usually on the better spectrum of shifting, because they have to be....shorter throws, higher redline, faster thinking. (S2000 drivers are not exclusive to this, just an example)

Bottom line is, dont knock the automatics, because the SL65 sitting next to you at a light runs 11.4 stock.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jul 17 2005, 07:29 PM
We live in a time that technology surpassed human capabilities. Manual transmissions are nothing but a novelty now. They are slower than a good automatic (ie BMW SMG) and serve absolutely NO purpose other than a good burnout. I for one, love manual, and for a road car would never purchase an automatic gearbox, but if I were to purchase something like a Ferrari, the F1 paddles are the only way to go.
Except for the fact that you are incorrect in this fact. The BMW SMG, Ferrari F1, etc. are not automatics. They are SEQUENTIAL MANUAL GEARSHIFTS. They are manual as they have no torque converters. Gearboxes liek the "regular" BMW Steptronic & Porsche Tiptronics are automatics.

I don't mind SMG's, or for even better technologies the new Audi DSG. Wish the Europeans would see fit to give us launch control (took it out in latest F430).

One thing I haven't seen here is that Americans seem to spend much more time in traffic. In LA it's something like 2.0 hours a day. A manual would be a bear in this. I think that is THE reason we don't see manuals as prevelant. The manual is a dying breed. The upcoming 997TT will have a DSG soon (vs current model is manual vs. Tiptronic). So now you have Ferrari, Porsche, & BMW with some kind of Manu-matic gearbox offered (vs. Auto-manual).
Old 07-17-2005, 04:25 PM

^ like i said, todays sequentials have their quirks, mainly requiring attention to drive smoothly in auto mode. until manufacturers install software that will make driving in auto mode as effortless as a traditional auto tranny, trannies like SMG will be sought after mainly by enthusiasts.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:56 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My opinion is I'd rather have a 3-pedal sportscar than any slush-box or SMG. Why do we even drive sports cars? I drive a sports car for fun not b/c I need to be the fastest guy on the street. If a 6-speed 3-pedal car is more fun than a SMG or DSG then you can shove those computers you know where.

So the SL65 or SLR are quick with slussies who gives a damn? They'd be quick with MTs as well, 600hp will do that.

I'd never buy a Ferrari with a SMG.

Now maybe a big car like a sedan or a Bentley Conti coupe I'd like a snappy DSG. But true sports cars: Z06, Elise, S2000s, BS, 911s etc.. I'll shift myself thank you.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by rai,Jul 17 2005, 04:56 PM
My opinion is I'd rather have a 3-pedal sportscar than any slush-box or SMG. Why do we even drive sports cars? I drive a sports car for fun not b/c I need to be the fastest guy on the street. If a 6-speed 3-pedal car is more fun than a SMG or DSG then you can shove those computers you know where.
fun is all relative. hypothetically speaking, can you see youself having more fun behind the wheels of a manual honda civic dx or an m3 with SMG?? if you say the latter, then you are admitting that having fun behind the wheel has more to do than just having 3 pedals at your feet. sure, you may feel that a manual m3 will be more fun to drive than an smg m3, but still if you chose the smg m3 over the manual civic, then you are saying to yourself that having 3 pedals alone is not enough for having fun behind the wheels.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission