Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

AWD to be in 30% of cars by 2015

Old 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default AWD to be in 30% of cars by 2015

http://www.freep.com/article/20110428/COL14/104280377/Mark-Phelan-AWD-helps-sell-luxury-Ford-GM-use-systems-build-top-brands?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Interesting article - awd will be in 30% of cars soon, is a big driver in the luxury market.

Ford and General Motors have turned to all-wheel drive to boost the appeal of their Lincoln and Cadillac luxury brands.

Customers believe it improves performance and safety. They accept higher sticker prices and lower fuel economy to get those benefits.

About 50% of the CTS models Cadillac sells have AWD.

"All-wheel drive will take on an even bigger role as we introduce new models," said Jim Vurpillat, Cadillac global marketing director. "It will probably exceed 50% of our total model line."

All-wheel drive traditionally appealed to buyers who were concerned about driving in bad weather. Today, it's associated with advanced technology and overall vehicle sophistication and capability.

"It gives people confidence," Vurpillat said.

Lincoln offers all-wheel drive on every model it sells. About a quarter of MKZ sedans leave dealerships with AWD. Nearly three-quarters of MKT crossover wagons get the option.

"AWD is a core part of what we offer," said Lincoln director of product development Scott Tobin. "People see value in the option, both for its benefits in adverse weather and because it provides better performance and handling in normal conditions."

About 30% of vehicles sold in the U.S. will have AWD by 2015, said Paul Lacy of consultant IHS Automotive. "The trend is driven by the growth in all-wheel drive cars and crossovers," Lacy said.
More mainstream cars offer AWD systems

Some of the growth in all-wheel drive will continue to be at luxury brands, where AWD's cost and fuel consumption are less of an issue.

However, mainstream cars like the Ford Fusion and Chrysler 300 increasingly offer AWD, as do all Subarus.

"All-wheel drive enhances traction for all-weather capability and provides better stability, cornering and control at high speeds," said Mircea Gradu, Chrysler director of transmission and driveline engineering.

Audi invented the modern all-wheel drive luxury car, and it remains a leader. About 80% of the vehicles Audi sells in the U.S. feature its iconic Quattro AWD system.

"For us, it's more than a system to improve driving in bad weather," Audi of America product planning chief Filip Brabec said.

"We believe having control of all four wheels is better than only two. As a driver, you're just a little less likely to get into trouble. All-wheel drive expands the envelope of control."

That's particularly true for brands that start their vehicle engineering with front-wheel drive platforms, like Audi and Lincoln. It's very difficult for a FWD car to match the performance and handling of rear-drive models like the Cadillac CTS, and most BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Infiniti and Lexus sport sedans.

"People with luxury cars want AWD. Front-wheel drive is almost a dirty word to them," said Frank Markus, technical director of Motor Trend magazine.

Adding all-wheel drive addresses that problem and delivers better bad-weather handling than many rear-drive cars.

"The car is simply a better-balanced vehicle with AWD," Lincoln director of product development Scott Tobin said. "The driver discovers the benefits very quickly."

All this comes at a cost. AWD systems can add more than $1,000 to a vehicle's price. They also typically knock about 1 m.p.g. off a vehicle's EPA fuel economy rating.

Despite that, AWD's growth is likely to continue. Auburn Hills-based supplier BorgWarner bought Haldex for the Swedish supplier's expertise in AWD systems for upscale sedans and luxury crossovers.

"All-wheel drive provides performance attributes customers want," BorgWarner product business director John Barlage said. New systems that are lighter and more efficient are reducing the fuel-economy penalty, he said.

In addition, Haldex developed an electrically powered rear axle that combines AWD's performance benefits with hybrid-style technology to improve fuel economy 20%.

Contact MARK PHELAN at phelan@freepress.com or 313-222-6731.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Funny how they're going to meet the insane CAFE requirements but still introduce AWD and sell 30% of vehicles that will lose 5-10% powertrain efficiency because of it...

Good luck! I've yet to see a pickup or SUV that added AWD and only lost 1mpg because of it, especially if it's full-time AWD vs selectable 4WD (like a pickup usually is).
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Funny how they're going to meet the insane CAFE requirements but still introduce AWD and sell 30% of vehicles that will lose 5-10% powertrain efficiency because of it...

Good luck! I've yet to see a pickup or SUV that added AWD and only lost 1mpg because of it, especially if it's full-time AWD vs selectable 4WD (like a pickup usually is).

I have a very hard time believing this article, mostly b/c of what you're saying WRT to CAFE standards and what not.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, so it looks as though Acura kinda knows what it is doing with it developing SH-AWD as opposed to developing RWD.

So if lack of RWD isn't the problem with Acura, what is? No V-8?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:42 AM

Big schnoz!

Actually, the MDX and TL and TSX all sell well. They definitely need improved styling, though. Also, most of their vehicles are still FWD so they do ultimately suffer in handling and putting the power down. The SH-AWD equipped vehicles are great...but then you still potentially have bad looks to turn people away.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AWD is really kind of dopey unless you realize why they want you to have it, trust me, they don't assume everone lives in the snowbelt. A normal 200HP doesn't need traction control or AWD, but put 350HP in a car and all of a sudden your rear wheels can't do their job that well, so they choke it down with traction control to 200HP. So now we have an extra 150 HP you paid for and you aren't allowed to use, hence AWD, it allows you to have your extra 150HP up front and not use as much traction control. The real question is why do most people need 350HP in a sedan when 99% of them never drive their vehicle anywhere near its abilities. Again to sell cars. Horsepower sells cars, traction control and AWD allow more HP in a car that really doesn't need it.

All I know is I have an Audi A5 with the small motor and I can tell you it needs neither quattro or TC, my other car is 400HP bigblock vette with niether AWD and TC and I enjoy doing rolling smoking burnouts so I am glad it doesnt have them.

Unless you have a rally car or you live in the great white north, AWD and TC are a waste.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of any AWD car that would meet the CAFE standards... I think that AWD and TC have become necessary because people have become too bad at driving. The general population has no idea how to drive. Almost no one knows how to correct if the car slides a little, so the car has to do it for them. I have had several people tell me that driving in the snow and ice would be near impossible without TC, ABS, and AWD. If you have snow tires, you can almost get by with 2WD, as long as it is FWD... Well that is obviously not true as people did it for a long time without any of those things. I LOVE driving in the snow. My snow car this past winter was a track modded miata, with no ABS, no TC, and an LSD. I had people tell me that I was crazy for even trying, yet I never once found a hill that I couldn't get up on the first try, and the only time I ever got stuck was in a foot and a half of un-cut snow, when I stopped to get out and take a pic...

I guess that my point is, that AWD is not necessary, and it will never meet the CAFE standards. My personal opinion is that 2014 is going to come, and the CAFE standards will not be enforced. I mean more than half of the cars in production don't pass, and won't pass. There will be no "fun" cars, and no one will buy the new super-econoboxes. I predict that if CAFE is enforced, that used cars will be worth more than new ones, because the majority of people don't want to drive hybrids and smart cars...
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM

It's not about the individual cars, though. It's about the entire lineup and the average fuel economy of a major manufacturer.

Personally, I see them building cars to pass the CAFE tests at acceptable fuel efficiency levels, not necessarily building cars that get real world mileage that reflects EPA numbers...
Old 05-06-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by fishfryer
AWD is really kind of dopey unless you realize why they want you to have it, trust me, they don't assume everone lives in the snowbelt. A normal 200HP doesn't need traction control or AWD, but put 350HP in a car and all of a sudden your rear wheels can't do their job that well, so they choke it down with traction control to 200HP. So now we have an extra 150 HP you paid for and you aren't allowed to use, hence AWD, it allows you to have your extra 150HP up front and not use as much traction control. The real question is why do most people need 350HP in a sedan when 99% of them never drive their vehicle anywhere near its abilities. Again to sell cars. Horsepower sells cars, traction control and AWD allow more HP in a car that really doesn't need it.

All I know is I have an Audi A5 with the small motor and I can tell you it needs neither quattro or TC, my other car is 400HP bigblock vette with niether AWD and TC and I enjoy doing rolling smoking burnouts so I am glad it doesnt have them.

Unless you have a rally car or you live in the great white north, AWD and TC are a waste.
I can attest to the benefits of AWD especially in the rain and snow. I can tell a big difference at 40MPH with AWD compared to FWD and RWD, stability. I will admit, on a day to day basis, not so much.....but there are times when it rains cats and dogs where I live and I can continue to drive normally, safely, quickly, just like it was dry. We got ice and snow this year again and again the AWD benefits were easy to see and feel.
You might not need it every day but the minority of the time when I actually need it....it has justified the extra expense. I am sold on AWD.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:48 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

If I drove somewhere that got a lot of snow I'd rather own a second set of wheels with snow tires on them. That way I can use them when I need them, instead of some AWD car that lugs around it's AWD hardware 24/7. It's a better financial decision.