Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Back to BMW!?!? M3? 135/335? Good grief...

Old 04-05-2011, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back to BMW!?!? M3? 135/335? Good grief...

Howdy Folks!

As nobody problems remembers, I was considering a change from the S2K (I don't think I can break the "3 Year Cycle") to a Porsche Boxster S. I checked out a 987 first and second gen, the latter being a PDK tranny (which I dug on quite a bit). Part of my logic was to get a car that the Wifey© could also drive - yes, I realize she could learn a manual, but she'd probably never feel comfortable and with clutchless setups, I don't feel like I'm giving up that much ... I don't think ...

No doubt the BS it's a terrific car, and maybe I'm too crass to appreciate the subtle nuances of the Porsche experience, but I was a little underwhelmed. Part of it I think stems from the looks - I went into the test drives thinking "My S2K looks much better", so that probably diluted the overall satisfaction. I also felt like the straight line performance wasn't much of a bump. Some I'm sure, but maybe the gearing, sound, etc., didn't translate to that much "effective difference".

The final deal killer was the extra money for a car that still had limited use for my whole family, i.e., still a small two-seater, though with PDK it opened up the driver options.

So I kind of back-burnered all this, thought I might take up SOS on their next GP, well that came and went, and I didn't pull the trigger. Just wasn't into it for several reasons, not important at any rate.

So I started getting the itch again several months later, especially in lieu of spending any more money on the S. (I'm still unsatisfied with my stereo and a few other small things ...)

One brand I said I wouldn't revisit anytime soon was BMW, but now with my current reqs list, I find it's fitting the bill more than any other brand:
  • Convertible
  • Performance/Sports, engaging to drive
  • Nice, well appointed interior
  • Available in a single/dual clutch "clutchless" config (not buying another car the woman can't operate)
  • Rear seating (that'll scratch a bunch of options off the list, but makes it infinitely more flexible with the tiny person)
  • Warranty (either new or CPO)

I'm actually thinking along the lines of a 2008 (CPO'ed) M3 Convertible with the DCT gearbox. So then we get and/or keep: convertible, 4 seater, wifey usable, improved safety, outstanding performance, etc. It's actually way more appealing to me vs. the Boxster S I was mulling over.

I realize the rear seating on a 3 series (and moreso the 1) isn't very roomy (we had a previous gen 325Ci), but we're talking about maybe 3 years ownership and the 3rd person will only be about 6-7 by then, or the very occasional adult for driving somewhere within 5-10 miles.

If I didn't want to ante up the premium for the M, a 335i might be interesting, JB Stage III and you're at M3 levels of power (a good more TQ actually), but there's been an issue with the HPFP the turbo motors (sounds kind of hit or miss) and it would be missing some amazing driving dynamics [offered in the M]. I'm also not sure about the tranny options, I don't think DCT was available till recently, and I won't do a traditional auto (and getting another manual would nullify one of the reasons for the change).

A 135 convertible is an interesting choice, especially a DCT with the M-Sport package. You've got an easily upgradeable motor, terrific handling, lower price (vs. an M car) and a pretty decent weight savings with the soft top vs. the retractable hardtop which affects everything: handling, braking, acceleration.

We'll see, not in a rush and still have a little bit of a sore spot over BMW (owned a Z3, 325Ci and X5 4.4i). If there was a more local dealer, it would really dilute my crankiness toward the brand.

Looking forward to comments, questions and input
Old 04-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only other convertible I can think of that will seat 4 and be somewhat performance oriented is an S4 cabriolet. You can get those manual or auto. They are a good deal heavier than the S4 sedan though.

Jaguar has a luxury-sport convertible in the XK or XK-R (supercharged).
Old 04-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STi convertible? Murano convertible?

All kidding aside, am I understanding that you want to replace the S? Can I ask why not get something that's maybe peppy and has luxurious attributes without entering sports car or luxury pricing, and keep the S? Maybe something like a slightly used TL(-s)? Just seems like a bit of a hosh-posh shopping for a 4 seater that's supposed to replace a sports car. Then again maybe you're tired of the sports car experience, but if you're not, I think you're going to have a huge hole in your heart making that switch.

Otherwise, I can't see anything else in that price range that has the characteristics you're looking for. I think the 1/335 or 1/3M variants are probably going to be your best bets, and you're looking in the right direction.

Then again you could always do a convert Mustang GT; make everyone happy, and probably still be able to keep the S, and have plenty of power under your right foot for some fun?
Old 04-05-2011, 03:38 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Jaguar XK looks great and is a beast. That said, I keep coming back to an M3 as the best 'all around' car I can find. Yes, a Mustang GT does similar stuff but it's definitely not as nice overall (looks or otherwise).
Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Jaguar XK looks great and is a beast. That said, I keep coming back to an M3 as the best 'all around' car I can find. Yes, a Mustang GT does similar stuff but it's definitely not as nice overall (looks or otherwise).
Those XK's do look pretty nice huh? Would be nice to get the XKR version, 550hp. It's looks are almost on par with the Aston's. I love 'em.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The M3 vert is just too heavy and i think takes away too much from what the car is intended. Its also big $$$. Personally i'd get a 2 seater and put the family in a proper family vehicle or just keep the S2k. The vette vert is a great 2 seater, i think given the chance i would consider more closely over my coupe version especially in gs form.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by North Star
The only other convertible I can think of that will seat 4 and be somewhat performance oriented is an S4 cabriolet. You can get those manual or auto. They are a good deal heavier than the S4 sedan though.

Jaguar has a luxury-sport convertible in the XK or XK-R (supercharged).

Considered the Audi, maybe the S5, but not overwhelmed with what I've read, plus that brand has even less options in terms of dealers/support. Jag is totally off the list.

Originally Posted by whiteflash
All kidding aside, am I understanding that you want to replace the S? Can I ask why not get something that's maybe peppy and has luxurious attributes without entering sports car or luxury pricing, and keep the S? Maybe something like a slightly used TL(-s)? Just seems like a bit of a hosh-posh shopping for a 4 seater that's supposed to replace a sports car. Then again maybe you're tired of the sports car experience, but if you're not, I think you're going to have a huge hole in your heart making that switch.
Good points. I just don't want to support a 3rd vehicle, I've done that a few times, and most recently the Lexus had to sit outside, wound up with a car cover (PITA), the extra insurance, potential damage from hail, etc.

Originally Posted by JonBoy

Mustang is pretty much off my list too. Plus - and this is an important missing option - it's only available in a manual or slushbox.

Originally Posted by importluva
The M3 vert is just too heavy and i think takes away too much from what the car is intended. Its also big $. Personally i'd get a 2 seater and put the family in a proper family vehicle or just keep the S2k. The vette vert is a great 2 seater, i think given the chance i would consider more closely over my coupe version especially in gs form.

We have a nice family vehicle, that's also our boat/beach ride, so we're covered in that capacity. I've owned 4 Vettes, and very seriously considered a 5th vs. the S, but wanted to try something different. The Vette basically does nothing for an upgrade except put me in a slightly nicer/faster ride: 2 seater, no PDk/DCT type option, etc.

Your point about the M3 Vert being heavy is a consideration of mine. The powered hardtop is awesome but adds a good bit of weight, and reduces the trunk space a good bit.

Great input everyone!
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by [DT
;20433992]Good points. I just don't want to support a 3rd vehicle, I've done that a few times, and most recently the Lexus had to sit outside, wound up with a car cover (PITA), the extra insurance, potential damage from hail, etc.
Can I ask what is in your stable currently? Is the lexus still? Why not replace that with a more "fun" family car? And what about an E350/550 Cabriolet ?
Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 AM

I also was looking at a 335i...you can get a lot of performance with COBB Access Port or JB Stage III...but question is, does that void warranty? Or in other words, would they deny your warranty claim if something broke? This has been one of my dilemmas.

As far as the auto thing, this company sells a kit to adapt a steering wheel with paddle shifters to your auto 335i. You can use SSG or SMG/DCT style: http://www.burgertuning.com/paddleshift.html

Can use any of these:
BMW Sport Steering Wheel
BMW M3 Thick Multi-color Stitching Steering Wheel
BMW Performance Steering Wheel
BMW Performance Steering Wheel (Non-Electronic)
BMW M-Tech Thick Perforated Leather Steering Wheel
Hamann & Custom wheels also available.

My thoughts also were that everything is a premium on the M3 unless you have a good mechanic friend...and once that warranty is out and something breaks, it would probably be more expensive. The 335is have no-cost maintenance first 4 years/50K miles so if you don't upgrade the brakes to a BBK or anything, or upgrade to performance pads, they will replace all your pads/rotors. You can also pay around $2K anytime before the 50K and extend the no-cost maintenance another 2 years/50K or something. But if you are planning a lot of upgrades, this may not be that great of a deal. But even with just an intake/exhaust/downpipe/intercooler upgrade, you can probablly get another 50 hp, at least according to numbers manufacturers post. Bottom line, if you don't want to do a lot other than a couple bolt-ons and wheels this is probably a great way to go.

Anyways, let me know if you have any other questions, I've been doing lots of research on 335is and A4s.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Can I ask what is in your stable currently? Is the lexus still? Why not replace that with a more "fun" family car? And what about an E350/550 Cabriolet ?

The Lexus is gone, I had it when I had my Supra, since the latter wasn't usable as a DD and I was working downtown. The woman had her Z3.

Right now, we've got a 4Runner (Ltd, V8, 4x4), which is the family vehicle, tow, beach, foul weather, hauling, etc. Love it and can't imagine not having it. I've also got my S which replaced my Z06.

Since the tiny person is getting older and may be at pre-K, etc., and the wife occasionally does some consulting out of the house (I work at the homestead, but also occasionally work out of the office, or fly), and our current logistic issue is:

The woman can only drive the 4Runner (auto)
The person in charge of our little G has to have the 4Runner

Plus all the potential issues with things changing, who picks up who and when.

I won't lie and say the move is totally to assist in all this, like I said in opening post, I tend to get a little bored with a car after ~3 years, unless I continually modify it and I'm just not into pumping huge dollars into the aftermarket (which is why I bailed on the SOS GP). I'd rather buy more "factory" car (if that makes sense)

Originally Posted by clarkster009
I also was looking at a 335i...
Good info.

Yeah, it seems pretty easy to get another 100HP out of the N54/N55 motors (and even more TQ), with minimal bolt-ons, which is kind of the status quo for factory FI cars. Everything is pretty easily reversible as I understand, for "easy" can still be a PITA. I mean, if a power window isn't working, do I want to spend 2 hours putting the car back to stock on the off chance they run some kind of diag which reveals an aftermarket piggyback ECU[?]

I found some video/images of the hardtop vs. the trunk. It looks like the trunk loses The HT is nice, it really finishes up the car, makes is basically a coupe, more secure, etc., but the hit on the trunk space and weight, I'm still not sure about.

As far as the gearbox, I think only a DCT would satisfy me (vs. a regular slushbox, paddle shifters or not).

Quick Reply: Back to BMW!?!? M3? 135/335? Good grief...