Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bavaria's little burner

Old 11-02-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Bavaria's little burner

"For all the BMW haters out there, consider this fair warning. Starting next spring there are going to be a lot more roundels on the road, just to piss you off. That's when BMW's new 1-series coupes will start to hit the streets, and they'll be driven by a new generation of young, fashionable, and utterly despicable upwardly mobile types. The rest of you, dust off your Ronald Reagan lunchbox and rent a copy of Wall Street, because small Bimmers are gonna be back in style like it's 1987 all over again." -Motive Magazine

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/bmw/0...135i/index.html

I've read at least 10 different ''first drives'' and must say that I am impressed for the most part from what I've read. I cant wait for the road tests. This thing is going to be an absolute ROCKET. I have to remind myself that the U.S. spec 1 series will have ambers in the corner or the lenses as featured below:

Old 11-02-2007, 09:57 PM

M1 should be sweet to play with
Old 11-02-2007, 10:20 PM

I don't understand what the difference is between this car and a 335 coupe.

Both cars weigh the same. And no, 50 pounds don't make a difference.

The only advantage on the 135 is price.

Please, someone explain to me the performance advantage of a 135 over a 335.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jacques79,Nov 2 2007, 10:20 PM
I don't understand what the difference is between this car and a 335 coupe.

Both cars weigh the same. And no, 50 pounds don't make a difference.

The only advantage on the 135 is price.

Please, someone explain to me the performance advantage of a 135 over a 335.
Its not that hard. The difference is 200lbs. I've been following this car for a VERY long time. I knew it would have the twin-turbo engine before anybody on here. Trust me when I say the cars curb weight is 32xx. In fact, dont trust me. I will weigh mine on 2 different scales when i get it. ''Derryck's'' 335i sedan came in at 3390lb. IMO, the 3series looks better but this suits my needs. This is smaller and every way.

The car has 6 piston brakes, the 3 does not.

The car has 18inch wheels standard, the 3 does not

The car has an M tuned suspension, the 3 does not

Any more questions?

Go to BMWUSA.com and download the online US Brochure for the 1 series. It will say the unladen curb weight is 3373lb. There is an asterisk at the very bottom. They tacked on 75kg for the driver. Minus the 75kg and your in the ballpark of what the vehicle really weighs.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It certainly doesn't look as good as a 335i thats for sure. I hope it looks better in person. That rocker area has always bothered the hell out of me; it looks "melted." It should be a straighter line.

Rear 3/4 view looks good...
Old 11-02-2007, 11:10 PM

It's aite.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onehots2k,Nov 2 2007, 10:42 PM
Its not that hard. The difference is 200lbs. I've been following this car for a VERY long time. I knew it would have the twin-turbo engine before anybody on here. Trust me when I say the cars curb weight is 32xx. In fact, dont trust me. I will weigh mine on 2 different scales when i get it. ''Derryck's'' 335i sedan came in at 3390lb. IMO, the 3series looks better but this suits my needs. This is smaller and every way.

The car has 6 piston brakes, the 3 does not.

The car has 18inch wheels standard, the 3 does not

The car has an M tuned suspension, the 3 does not

Any more questions?

Go to BMWUSA.com and download the online US Brochure for the 1 series. It will say the unladen curb weight is 3373lb. There is an asterisk at the very bottom. They tacked on 75kg for the driver. Minus the 75kg and your in the ballpark of what the vehicle really weighs.
LOL you're taking it personally

So slightly bigger wheels and stiffer suspension...wow...You can order both those things on a 335.

What does BMW state for the curb weight of a base 335? Not what someone weighed the car in for, but what BMW officially state?

I'm not saying the 135 isn't great for the price compared to the 335: in fact it's a good deal compared to the more expensive 335.

What bugs me is that everyone thinks this 135 will blow the 335 out of the water because it's so much lighter than the 335....
Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 AM

I actually like the looks of this car better than most current BMW's. The flame surfacing is more subdued, and the designers have done a good job of making the
A and C pillars look slim--very 70's. The roof line recalls the 2002 but with a hint of almost an Italian coupe (Alfa?) at the rear.

I venture to guess that it is very space inefficient however. The rear seat leg room may be only useful for a briefcase at best.

I think that it would look a little nicer if it were wider. At least in the pictures, the car looks a bit thin and top heavy. Like most current BMW's, the car's look will be very dependent on the right tire and wheel combination. Probably larger tires and wheels will be necessary to fill out the wheel wells.

The 3 Series coupes notwithstanding, this is the best looking BMW in quite some time.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:54 AM

BMW officially states the curb weight for the 335i as 3582. They officially state the curb weight of the 135i as 3373.

Sorry if it seems I'm taking it that way. I dont expect it to blow the doors off the 3 but I do expect it to perform slighty better. At best it should rip 60 in 4.6seconds versus the 335i's 4.8seconds.

They both should be great in their own right. In the 3 you get more elegance and space, and the 1 will have a more compact and sporty drive. From what I've read you can actually hear the engine in the 1 versus the 3.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by triman54,Nov 3 2007, 03:43 AM
Like most current BMW's, the car's look will be very dependent on the right tire and wheel combination. Probably larger tires and wheels will be necessary to fill out the wheel wells.
You nailed it Triman!! I think I've narrowed down my wheel choice to these: Their forged and weigh about 18lbs.

Quick Reply: Bavaria's little burner