Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Best Dashcam to place on glove box facing forward?

Old 10-30-2017, 12:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Best Dashcam to place on glove box facing forward?

So I recently got into a situation and I am having to have my whole car resprayed. Some of you would have seen those threads. My car is currently at the bodyshop getting a full respray.

I think now is the best time to get a dashcam (I definitely want to avoid more claims on my policy specifically if I'm not at fault). Any hoo most of the ones I have seen are designed to be mounted by the rear view mirror.

I want to get one that can be mounted above the glove box (behind driver). I used to have a go pro Hero mounted in that location and I think the view was good. Here is a screen capture of footage capture from that POV. I want suggestions for a discrete cam that I can mount in the same spot. I mean to permanently mount it. having a view screen is not required. I am looking for a 1080p camera with reasonable frame rate with less wire clutter. If it can sync to my phone great. if I can hook it up to the cigarette lighter in the arm rest fantastic as well. recording parking footage is not necessary (I keep the car garaged at both home and work). i haven't decided if I want rear camera as well but the budget is about $200 (but I am flexible).

Suggestions are appreciated. If you already have a dashcam in that location, I'd be most interested in hearing about it.

Old 10-31-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend putting it up against the windshield. You may struggle to pick up details and will also have a hard time getting a camera to get the lighting right with a dark interior and a bright exterior (Although some do have WDR built-in). Most of the budget cameras are now really good - I would just read some Amazon reviews and give a few a try.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:35 AM

Review: Blackvue Wi-Fi HD Dash Cam

This guy seems to have it mounted exactly where I want using the Blackvue camera. however he mentions a custom mount! Not sure what that would be. I tried reaching out to the author but the article is old so not sure I'll hear back. Any one else using the blackvue? can that be rotated 180 degree if I use the mount that came with it.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/
Old 11-01-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

The SJCam 4000 is about $60 on Amazon and is a gopro knockoff. It has a dashcam mode and fits about a million mounts and also comes with several in the box. Excellent cheap gopro wanna-be for the price and it is highres enough to capture whatever you want to capture.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kasher_khan
Review: Blackvue Wi-Fi HD Dash Cam

This guy seems to have it mounted exactly where I want using the Blackvue camera. however he mentions a custom mount! Not sure what that would be. I tried reaching out to the author but the article is old so not sure I'll hear back. Any one else using the blackvue? can that be rotated 180 degree if I use the mount that came with it.
Blackvue cameras are great. I have 2 in my father's TL. Look at the level of detail you see on the actual vehicles (plate #s etc) are not great compared to having it on the windshield, just a thought if you're really trying to use it as a dashcam vs studying your hand placements on the track.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

you may want to be careful as the camera will capture vehicle speed as well. You may not necessarily want that...
darcy
Old 11-02-2017, 12:52 PM

That camera is well reviewed. I will consider it. Do you have any pics of it mounted in your car?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
you may want to be careful as the camera will capture vehicle speed as well. You may not necessarily want that...
darcy
Its pretty easy to figure out speed based on time and distance though.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here’s my garmin dashcam 45 1080p and connects to my phone.

Quick Reply: Best Dashcam to place on glove box facing forward?