Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The big shifting of the car world

Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Anyway, where does that leave us driving enthusiasts? It will become a hobby of sorts where we were park our old, non-autonomous vehicles at driving tracks/parks/schools where we can swing by on the weekend or after work/school to go flog our cars with steering wheels and brake and throttle pedals around a track.
Bob Lutz agrees with you. He said the same thing on autoline.tv a few months ago. Enthusiasts with ICE cars will get their cars towed to a race track and drive it for the day, then have it towed back home.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:26 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Oh you want to drive to work? That's something people look forward to, sitting on the highway in traffic? Suburban folks are more boring than I knew.
Yeah not really. You're the one talking about what people need and where they should live out of necessity. I was countering that. I hate my morning commute, and it infuriates me that with the huge influx of new tax paying residents to my county that the local government is far too incompetent to properly plan for it, and spend their new revenue to alleviate these issues. I much preferred my subway commute when I lived in NYC.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:04 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Oh you want to drive to work? That's something people look forward to, sitting on the highway in traffic? Suburban folks are more boring than I knew.
It's more a matter of not being dictated to. I don't like my commute. I like even less being subjected to the best intentions of do-gooders who claim to know more about how I should live my life than I do.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mr.E.G.:
JWN6264 (12-05-2018), ninetysixyenko (12-17-2018), vader1 (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:31 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
It's more a matter of not being dictated to. I don't like my commute. I like even less being subjected to the best intentions of do-gooders who claim to know more about how I should live my life than I do.
Ha ha ha. +1,000. Post of the year.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I am going to refer to savage geese and his recent youtube video regarding GM and the sign of the times. There is no question, I agree with what he and turbowski say. Reliable full time autonomy will not be happening in the northern winter states for a very long time (as in 20 years or more). Autonomy will be only for larger type cities for mass transit on a personal scale. GM should have been allowed to fail back in the late 2000's and not been bailed out on your dime.

enjoy- I sure did.

darcy
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Yeah not really. You're the one talking about what people need and where they should live out of necessity. I was countering that. I hate my morning commute, and it infuriates me that with the huge influx of new tax paying residents to my county that the local government is far too incompetent to properly plan for it, and spend their new revenue to alleviate these issues. I much preferred my subway commute when I lived in NYC.
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
I guess I'd rather be able to live in a world with a livable environment than continue destroying everything.

Different value systems I guess. Keep killing the planet for your kids
The following users liked this post:
CMK (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 81 Likes on 60 Posts

I guess I'd rather be able to live in a world with a livable environment than continue destroying everything.

Different value systems I guess. Keep killing the planet for your kids
Let me grab a chair, if you're going to preach. Did you get your liberal arts degree in Forest Raking? I hear your buddy's big on that.
WolfpackS2k (12-05-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Let me grab a chair, if you're going to preach. Did you get your liberal arts degree in Forest Raking? I hear your buddy's big on that.
Being able to work from home and not having to deal with a commute is excellent. The fact that it's an effective step towards minimizing our impact on the environment makes it even better. These are absolutely things we should all push for. We all have a hobby that is objectively bad for the world we live in, why not try to minimize that impact in other areas of our lives?

Unless you want to continue to sit in traffic to trigger the libs. By all means continue as society moves forwards
CMK (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by silvio1522
Dude what? Are you seriously repeating his drivel that has been disproved by everyone?

Originally Posted by JamesD89
Being able to work from home and not having to deal with a commute is excellent. The fact that it's an effective step towards minimizing our impact on the environment makes it even better. These are absolutely things we should all push for. We all have a hobby that is objectively bad for the world we live in, why not try to minimize that impact in other areas of our lives?

Unless you want to continue to sit in traffic to trigger the libs. By all means continue as society moves forwards
Exactly. I obviously like cars, but liking cars & being able to see the clear negative impact are not mutually exclusive.
CMK (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 09:48 AM
CMK

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Why wouldn't car people appreciate the fact that many thousands (millions!) of people who hate driving and are objectively terrible at it would suddenly become a non-issue, holed up in their commute-mobiles? There was an interesting article I read about how driving enthusiasts, already a tiny minority, would be able to reclaim the quiet backroads and would be able to spend more time at dedicated tracks.
TsukubaCody (12-04-2018)

Quick Reply: The big shifting of the car world