Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying a used Telsa; considerations?

Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

i8s have huge depreciation - not sure if it is because its a fashion buy or because its a typical BMW in many ways (not really a standout, just a badge), but in another year I wouldn't be surprised to see them under $50k, and early Tesla Model Ss for under $30k, assuming the 3 ever gets production volume up.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:31 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

What does Consumer Reports think of the Tesla now?

In my 40 years in engineering plastics I touched the auto companies on many,many programs. Bottom line is that the drive train is only a fraction of the engineering and development of a vehicle.

Major manufacturers spend billions on body, suspension, interior, comfort, etc AND the manufacturabilty of same. Even then, because vehicles are complex assemblies with thousands of parts there are still issues. Many fewer than years ago because of advances in manufacturing and quality systems.

Seems to me that Tesla offers a simpler and powerful drive train. but has many challenges in building a tight,quality.reliable vehicle even at an $80k price point. At a $40K price point as in the Tesla 3 the challenges are multiplied which may be why the delays continue.

Elon is playing for a buyout, in my not humble and often wrong opinion
Old 01-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
i8s have huge depreciation - not sure if it is because its a fashion buy or because its a typical BMW in many ways (not really a standout, just a badge), but in another year I wouldn't be surprised to see them under $50k, and early Tesla Model Ss for under $30k, assuming the 3 ever gets production volume up.
I've actually taking a liking to the BMW i3 with range extender. Those are decently priced used these days, if you can find one. 72 mile on a charge and 150 with the range extender, RWD. It seems like a nice city commuter.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
I've actually taking a liking to the BMW i3 with range extender.
i3 is utterly brilliant design inside and out. Just amazed how beautifully they engineered the interior decor and how the whole package just works for a great utility car. Some of my friends think I am crazy to say that, but they just can't look beyond HP and 0-60... They can't see that BMW's best pens had their hand on creating this car. Would much rather buy an electric from BMW, MB, Honda, Toyota.... than Tesla.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
i3 is utterly brilliant design inside and out. Just amazed how beautifully they engineered the interior decor and how the whole package just works for a great utility car. Some of my friends think I am crazy to say that, but they just can't look beyond HP and 0-60... They can't see that BMW's best pens had their hand on creating this car. Would much rather buy an electric from BMW, MB, Honda, Toyota.... than Tesla.
It really is a sharp car. I was impressed with it's design as well. I am surprised it hasn't been posted about here in Car Talk when discussing electric options.

From Edmund's

The i3 features a mechanical undercarriage and battery housing constructed of lightweight aluminum, while the upper body structure is carbon fiber. This combination keeps the i3's weight down by hundreds of pounds compared to other electric cars, and less weight translates to improved efficiency and quicker acceleration. With its 170-horsepower electric motor driving the rear wheels, the i3 can scoot to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds, which is impressively quick for an EV. The i3's relatively light weight and low center of gravity also contribute to nimble handling characteristics and strong braking power.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The market doesn't agree with you. You can buy one for 14-15k with under 20k miles. They are turds.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
The market doesn't agree with you. You can buy one for 14-15k with under 20k miles. They are turds.
The 2014-2016 models had the small battery and short range of 72 miles or so. That is a big reason why it depreciated a lot. If you're able to find one with a range extender, they're in the 20k+ range. 2017 introduced the larger aH capacity battery at 90aH. This brought the EV to around 100 miles per charge, and with range extender, to 180 miles. The latest models, now go beyond that, and BMW is introducing an S version. 2018 models with range extender get around 250 miles per charge, which is about on par with some regular gas powered cars.

All media that I have read so far seem to love them, with the exception of Motor Trend. It is just a car you have to know what to expect. It doesn't have the longest range, but it does have style IMO. For urban commuters like myself, it would suit my needs.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:19 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by North Star
The 2014-2016 models had the small battery and short range of 72 miles or so. That is a big reason why it depreciated a lot. If you're able to find one with a range extender, they're in the 20k+ range. 2017 introduced the larger aH capacity battery at 90aH. This brought the EV to around 100 miles per charge, and with range extender, to 180 miles. The latest models, now go beyond that, and BMW is introducing an S version. 2018 models with range extender get around 250 miles per charge, which is about on par with some regular gas powered cars.

All media that I have read so far seem to love them, with the exception of Motor Trend. It is just a car you have to know what to expect. It doesn't have the longest range, but it does have style IMO. For urban commuters like myself, it would suit my needs.
Problem is a lot of urban commuters live in high rises/lofts with no easy way to charge these things every day. In my opinion anything under 200 miles of range per charge is a joke. As far as style, it looks like an angry lunchbox on wheels and the interior came straight out of an ikea catalog.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Or wait for the all new Honda Insight. Not much is known about it at this time like if it has an electric only range but it seems almost ready to be unveiled officially...hopefully at the NYC auto show. Interior and exterior looks to be pretty good.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future...insight-hybrid
Old 01-29-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT
I like them. Not sure if they'll drop from 90K in 1 year. If they do, I'll pick one up.

Quick Reply: Buying a used Telsa; considerations?