Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bye bye H1

Old 05-12-2006, 01:02 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I place H1s in the same "mental category" that I do Ariel Atoms: very very cool, but worthless aside from one very specific trait. If I lived in a place where I could use the Hummer as intended, I think it would be a blast to own one (just like the Atom), but for 99% of the rest of the time, it's worthless.

That said, you really have to wonder what fate awaits the H2 and H3 now. As long as they had that vague relationship to the H1, they had some heritage and credentials. Now, a Hummer is going to be a rebadged, bodykitted Chevy truck/SUV. Very sad way for one of the strongest American brands to go out. A lot of people didn't LIKE what the Hummer stood for, but at least they KNEW what it stood for: big, strong, go-anywhere trucks. Now, the Hummer brand will be like a lot of other American ones: relatively directionless, not really standing for anything, not really knowing what it wants to be. That's sad.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can drive an H1 on the street, as well as off-road or very rough surfaces. You can park it in any parking lot, and on any stret. The only time you might not be able to park it on the street is where parking is parallel, and no space is long enough. That's a pretty restricted situation. It can carry at least 3 passengers and a ton of cargo.

You can drive the S2000 on the street, but not off-road. You can park it in any spot big enough. You can carry only one passenger, and a limited amount of cargo. The areas you can drive an S2000 are limited to paved roads or relatively smooth surfaces.

Seems like the H1 is way more versatile than the S2000.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:31 PM

One SUV down about 40 to go, right Bill?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by kpxguy411,May 12 2006, 02:55 PM
Or Kuwait
Or West Texas. Very handy to have on a big ranch. Goes almost anywhere, hard to stick and that tire inflation feature is very handy where almost everything that grows has thorns.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:36 PM

I'll say it again (to raise my post count):

The S2000 or any roadsters "limitations" on use is smaller, than the Hummer's or other large SUVs extra-usage.

Meaning, when I buy a roadster I know I am probably going to use it to its fullest potential in all areas.

When some people that buy Hummers or other large SUVs they aren't going to use the most of their vehicle. Conversely, the practical reasons why they buy SUVs can be otherwise fufilled in a smaller vehicle.

This is needless waste and therefore useless. If you use the car for its purpose that's great, but here in SoCal, most are merely status symbols.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good riddance!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,May 12 2006, 01:57 PM
you gotta read my sig man. Also I think it is one of those words that has two spellings depending on where you are from.
Haha yea just givin' ya a hard time.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by IheartS2ks,May 12 2006, 03:36 PM
I'll say it again (to raise my post count):

The S2000 or any roadsters "limitations" on use is smaller, than the Hummer's or other large SUVs extra-usage.

Meaning, when I buy a roadster I know I am probably going to use it to its fullest potential in all areas.

When some people that buy Hummers or other large SUVs they aren't going to use the most of their vehicle. Conversely, the practical reasons why they buy SUVs can be otherwise fufilled in a smaller vehicle.

This is needless waste and therefore useless. If you use the car for its purpose that's great, but here in SoCal, most are merely status symbols.
sory, but that is just dumb. You are saying that since the potential uses for the S2000 are smaller than for an H1, you tend to use 100% of the car's potential, so therefore, the utulity of the S2000 is greater. That's nonsense.

There is likely no car more limited in utility than a roadster like the S2000. Suggesting an S2000 is more practical or useful than an H1 is just being incredibly dense. Yes, the H1 is far more vehicle than most people will ever use. That doesn't make it less useful or practical. And your assumption that the H1 you see on a city street is never used for anything other than a daily commute is one hell of an assumption. The person who buys one buys one to drive at least part time on city streets, otherwise they'd have bought a tractor. Even the military drive their hummers on the street. Are you suggesting they don't need them either, just because they sometimes don't have any need to use the full capabilities of the vehicle? If some family or business has need of the kinds of things an H1 can do, even if it is only a few times a year, then they need a vehicle like it. You can't always get by on something less.

If you drive a roadster, you have nothing to say to someone who drives an H1. Glass houses and all.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we seriously comparing the H1 to an S. This is one of those places we could use SteveC

It all depends on where you live and what you do. I have never in my life needed to go offroad except to "go muddin" with my hick friends. Hence, why I have an S and not an H1.

How many owners of H1's actually use it for going through five feet of water, breaking through sand dunes, pounding its way through heavy brush, or any other thing it was built for????

How many S owners use it to run the twisties, cruise with the top down, and plain enjoy driving it????

Seems like a simple answer to me!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

horses for courses, I think the saying goes. Or tool for the job.

Quick Reply: Bye bye H1