Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Corvette Stingray: The Review

Old 02-22-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

The C7 (base convertible) I drove felt far more responsive and gave more feedback than the C6 Grand Sport I drove before. The car felt 100% better and more confidence inspiring, with better steering feedback (especially) and a better sense of what the car was doing, as a whole. The C6 GS was ultra-capable but it felt isolated from the driver (to me).
Old 02-22-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The C7 (base convertible) I drove felt far more responsive and gave more feedback than the C6 Grand Sport I drove before. The car felt 100% better and more confidence inspiring, with better steering feedback (especially) and a better sense of what the car was doing, as a whole. The C6 GS was ultra-capable but it felt isolated from the driver (to me).
Drive a C7 Grand Sport.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I hope to, eventually. Best value on the market right now, except possibly a GT350 or even a Camaro SS 1LE, neither of which look nearly as good...
Old 02-22-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I hope to, eventually. Best value on the market right now, except possibly a GT350 or even a Camaro SS 1LE, neither of which look nearly as good...
Same here. I'm considering selling the exige for the GS. Love how it drives and looks.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Excellent review! Just some comments after having owned a C6 Corvette with an LS3 engine and Z51 package and manual transmission, now a c6 z06, and having driven a c7 z51 with 7mt

Originally Posted by s2k_suzuka
  • The door locks are electronic. You press a button to open the door from either inside or outside. Same thing for the rear hatch.
Believe it or not there are Vette owners who perished due to this. But there are manual release latches for both doors and the trunk, located on the floor

• Other Corvette drivers wave at you. It is a good feeling. But I don't feel like driving the car aggressively simply because it does not fit the profile of Corvette drivers, who are on average sixty years old and just cruise along.
Lol I definitely agree with this, though I drive my Vettes really hard anyways (with appropriate mechanical empathy)

Gearbox and clutch
  • I don't remember missing gears so often in another car. I was often selecting 4th instead of 6th or 5th instead of 7th. After two days and 300 miles, I still kept missing gears. The gear selection is indicated on the dash and I can see why- you won't be sure otherwise if you got the right gear. Also 7th gear is so far out to the right and doesn't have a positive click when engaged
I am not sure if this was how you were shifting the car, but with all Vettes you have to shift with your palm "above" the shifter so you use the centering spring in the shifter to guide each gear into gate. E.g. for a quick 2nd to 3rd just basically move the shifter in a "forward" and "slight right" motion and it will slide into the next gate, same with 4th to 5th, and 6th to 7th. In my previous JDM cars (I had about 8 Japanese performance cars before getting into the Vettes) I usually shifted with my palm behind the shifter, kind of pushing the gear into gates that way. Doing this in the Vette will result in a lot of mis-shifts...it definitely took me a while to learn this in my C6 at first. The Vette's shifter vibrates quite a bit especially when that big V8 is revving near redline, so it's very easy to force the shifter to the "limbo" spot between the shift gates and miss shifts that way. I didn't have any issues even speed-shifting in the Stingray's 7mt when I drove it spiritedly. Of course it'd be nice if the shifter was more precise like in the S2000

Steering
  • The steering is precise but you get the feeling that the car is not working very hard even when you are going pretty fast in the corners. It is hard to judge its limits
Biggest complaint regarding the Vettes for me, even the Stingray though improved is still a bit vague and disconnected feeling. It took me quite a few trips to the canyons to properly learn my Vettes' behaviors
Old 02-23-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 2014 C7 Z51 M7 for close to 3 years now. Overall it's been a fantastic car and I still love driving it any chance I get. It's been the most fun car I've ever owned.

It has had to have a few warranty fixes and TSB's but nothing that I would call excessive.

Miles: 18,000
Typical MPG: 16
Tires replaced at 14000 (The fronts wore quicker that the rears, apparently quite typical)

TSB's/Recalls

Rattling roof (new redesigned latches)
Fuel Fill Pipe Anti-Siphon grid out of place
Jumps out of Gear in 1st/Reverse
Front Airbag Tensioner Non deploy

Warranty work

Tiny oil leak from sump (ended up being a bad weld on the inlet line)
Bubbling along the windshield top edge (Windshield replaced)
Intermittent Fuel Gauge with CEL codes eventually being thrown (Had to replace the fuel sensor and pump in one of the fuel tanks, apparently this was a common problem with C6's)

I have decided that I'm keeping the car for quite some time and bought a 5year/60k GM extended warranty at the end of last year.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

, dd OR O0THE RWAIE, NOW..[QUOTE=Marioshi;24106782[/QUOTE]HAT ARE YOU DRIVING ss
My birthday is on Christmas. Belated congrats, man. What are you driving now, DD or other?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I recently drove an automatic, base model C7 convertible. While it was excessively powerful, super fast in a straight line, and sounded pretty darn good, it just wasn't for me. It had chrome wheels (ugh... I know there are other OEM options), lacked some interior fit and finish (although improved by GM standards) and felt big and bulky. Enjoyed the experience though.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

I didn't read much of the thread so excuse me. Everything else aside, the first post talking about orange peel..

I literally spent almost 40 hours wetsanding and polishing my buddies white c7 stingray. GM paint has some of the worse factory orange peel I've ever seen. Like the op said, it looked as bad as tiled showers in the bathroom.

Not something you should expect from a 70k car lol. The sad part for me is hes selling it for the 2019 midengine c8 in bright green or orange. So Im sure ill be back in his garage for a few more weekends when it arrives... -_-
Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Received 1,185 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by Deckoz
I didn't read much of the thread so excuse me. Everything else aside, the first post talking about orange peel..

I literally spent almost 40 hours wetsanding and polishing my buddies white c7 stingray. GM paint has some of the worse factory orange peel I've ever seen. Like the op said, it looked as bad as tiled showers in the bathroom.

Not something you should expect from a 70k car lol. The sad part for me is hes selling it for the 2019 midengine c8 in bright green or orange. So Im sure ill be back in his garage for a few more weekends when it arrives... -_-
Can you show us before and after pics?