Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

California vs DB9

Old 12-29-2017, 11:18 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
The 612 hasn't aged well to me. There's a reason they're "cheap".
Really? To me it's one of my favorite front engine designs. Conservative and timeless. What worries me are the all the 612's I see locally look their age and then some. The paint doesn't seem as high quality as the Aston's. I am stuck either way until someone buys my Aston. I have a couple who are interested. If I don't get a reasonable offer, I will just keep the Vantage. I like it a lot, but just limited with no back seat and being manual. We can't take it for long road trips and I'd like to do that in whichever car I get next.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Really? To me it's one of my favorite front engine designs. Conservative and timeless. What worries me are the all the 612's I see locally look their age and then some. The paint doesn't seem as high quality as the Aston's. I am stuck either way until someone buys my Aston. I have a couple who are interested. If I don't get a reasonable offer, I will just keep the Vantage. I like it a lot, but just limited with no back seat and being manual. We can't take it for long road trips and I'd like to do that in whichever car I get next.
I prefer the 550/575 to the 612, not sure what it is, it doesn't look quite right to me.

It could just be the the wheels of the one above, but it really does nothing for me at all. I am a Ferrari fan too

Edit: I think it's the wheels...

Old 12-29-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks good to me!
Old 12-30-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know a guy that felt the 355 he had was going to bankrupt him but he got a 612 to make his wife happy and said it was a great decision. Sounds like a major maintenance event every three years but an enjoyable car if you have children.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
How about this one?

For 90K with 29K miles.

That looks like an early one and those may have themes issues.

I would go onto Ferrarichat with the target car(s) and let the community share their insight. The think the first thing they say for almost any used F car is to get a PPI down by a reliable vendor.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I test drove both with my dad a couple years ago. The 12 cylinder Aston was so smooth. The Ferrari sounded unbelievable and the gearbox was amazing. The Ferrari was maybe too fast and the power basically unusable on public roads. On looks I'd say DB9 over California. Neither car was going to fit grandkids in the back. Both felt like big GT cars and I'm a small sportscar guy.

He ended up getting a lightly used F-Type which was certified and which I think is a better car in almost every way--for him anyway. Not quite as rare as the others and he wasn't bringing a dog.

For that money I'd get a 911 though I think they look just good, not great, and don't have exotic appeal. In terms of maintenance, resale, storage and not to mention driving I think its a better car than the others. Good luck in your search. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by ChiHonda
For that money I'd get a 911 though I think they look just good, not great, and don't have exotic appeal. In terms of maintenance, resale, storage and not to mention driving I think its a better car than the others. Good luck in your search. Let us know how it goes.
911 rear seats are too small and I don't think I'd ever buy a 911 (or any German car). So far, the Rapide is my first pick, but is all dependent on my car selling private party. If it doesn't sell; it's all good... I don't have an advertisements for my car. It's all been just a few mentions on a couple of car forums and I have received a few inquiries. As much as I could use utility of a GT, the Vantage costs me nothing to hold.

If I wanted just back seat and maintain the level of sportiness of the Vantage, I'd get an Evora 400 in automatic. Still a consideration. My friend has a white one I can get for a good deal. Has like 6k miles on it and under warranty.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:02 AM

A friend traded in his Maserati GranSport on a Ferrari California and wow is that California some car. Way more than I thought it would be. Engine is wicked, great gear box, tremendous handling for regular roads. Top down was amazing. Very impressed. Great used car buy at under 100K. Got me thinking!
Old 04-08-2019, 11:49 AM

Here's a couple of pics

Old 04-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Hard to pass on a db9, car is just ironically sexy.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (04-09-2019)

Quick Reply: California vs DB9