Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Camaro SS vs Mustang GT Track

Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive numbers for a 3,900 lb brick but I don't care. It's too damned big, too heavy, with poor sight lines, and it's not that attractive. I'm still having problems with the concept of a 4,000 lb pony car.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:38 AM

I'm still rolling from the 14.7sec. 1/4mi. times. Ah yeah, MotorTrend and their complete moron fanboys add flavor to the universe. The flavor of piss and ignorance, but flavor nonetheless. L
The two cars might run similar 1/4 times somewhere uphill from Denver, but the trap speed is in favor of the lighter, less powerful car. let's not even talk about tires. Lets talk about a car that weighs very close to 4000lbs. with driver. Vs. a car that makes as much power, is lighter, and costs less. This is the first test that gave the Camaro the win vs. a Mustang. WTF cares? Its not like they are clones and people only buy the one that is fastest according to MotorTrend tests. Well, except Scot.

They are two different cars. The only people who give a shit about MotorTrend tests are people like Scot, people unable to exercise their own intelligence because of a congenital disability that renders magazines the final arbiter of all decisions.

What I find funny is MotorTrend tries to pretend it's readers are clamoring for this test. The reality is nobody cares. I own a Mustang and don't care who owns a faster car. I bought my car knowing full well that I could buy a Camaro for similar money and have a faster car. And I didn't care and bought a Mustang. There's always a faster car. the Mustang and Camaro are different cars and always have been different. Only people who have no f'ing clue think there is some rivalry there. That's actually how we separate the posers from the enthusiasts.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:45 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
I'm still rolling from the 14.7sec. 1/4mi. times.
Typo, they both did 12.7 in the 1/4, at 111.8 for the Camaro, 111.9 for the Mustang.

the trap speed is in favor of the lighter, less powerful car.
Actaully, given the same power/weight and the same aerodynamics (Cd*A), trap speed should be slightly in favor of the heavier/more-powerful car.

Lets talk about a car that weighs very close to 4000lbs. with driver.
Both are stupidly overweight, the Mustang less so.

Vs. a car that makes as much power, is lighter, and costs less.
If this Mustang really made the same power as the 242-lb. heavier Camaro, it would have been faster in the 1/4. This Camaro must be putting ~25-30hp more to the wheels than this particular Mustang GT.

This is the first test that gave the Camaro the win vs. a Mustang. WTF cares?
Anybody interested in how well these cars actually perform? There are other Mustang/Camaro tests that have given the "win" to the Camaro (ZL1 vs. GT500)

They are two different cars.
So isn't it only natural that people should want to know how they stack up?!

What I find funny is MotorTrend tries to pretend it's readers are clamoring for this test. The reality is nobody cares.
*PLENTY* of people care.
I own a Mustang and don't care who owns a faster car.
If you didn't care, you wouldn't be in this conversation. You'd probably care a lot more if the Mustang won

I bought my car knowing full well that I could buy a Camaro for similar money and have a faster car. And I didn't care and bought a Mustang.
The Mustang *should* be the faster car, in a straight line, anyway.

There's always a faster car. the Mustang and Camaro are different cars and always have been different. Only people who have no f'ing clue think there is some rivalry there.
??? There's definitely a HUGE Mustang/Camaro rivalry.

That's actually how we separate the posers from the enthusiasts.
Hmm, so the posers care about actual performance, and the enthusiasts don't?!

It is too bad that they don't put cars on the same make/model tires for tests like this, though (in OEM sizes on OEM wheels). The road course, slalom, skidpad, and braking evaluations are as much a test of tires as of cars.

The acceleration tests do tell the real story about the powerplants, though. Either Ford is overrating the Mustang GT's hp a tad, or GM is underrating the Camaro's, because it is clearly making enough more power to totally offset its weight disadvantage.

Interestingly, Ford seems to severely underrate the Boss's hp, as they do 116/117 in the 1/4, a good 5mph faster. That would indicate a LOT more than just 24hp over the GT.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 AM

GM probably underrates the 1LE a lot more than Ford does the 5.0. After the 99-01 SVT Cobra fiasco Ford has always been underrating power on its cars.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

to ZDan, saving me a bunch of time poking holes in Nunco's "logic" yet again.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Lets talk about a car that weighs very close to 4000lbs. with driver.
Both are stupidly overweight, the Mustang less so.
Just an FYI, the Mustang is the lightest V8, 4 passenger car in production.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

"Slimmest fatso" isn't much to brag about.

Most V8 4-passenger cars are GT cars with a focus on sporty luxury rather than all-out performance. The Mustang is lightest but you don't have the goods that everyone else has, either. In this case, the IRS of the Camaro or the luxury and IRS of the other players. Again, give and take.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTianti
Just an FYI, the Mustang is the lightest V8, 4 passenger car in production.
For what is supposed to be a smallish, nonlux 2+2, it is still a bit oversized and overweight as far as I'm concerned.

If Toyobaru can make a modern S13 240SX with little/no weight penalty (FR-S/BRZ), Ford should be able to make a 3200 lb. modern V8 Mustang. Here's hoping the next gen is a big step in that direction
Old 01-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Next gen is supposed to go back to the sn95 size and drop at least 250lbs.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by NuncoStr8' timestamp='1357292339' post='22244958
the trap speed is in favor of the lighter, less powerful car.
Actaully, given the same power/weight and the same aerodynamics (Cd*A), trap speed should be slightly in favor of the heavier/more-powerful car.

According to the article, unless it's yet another typo, the Mustang trapped 0.1 mph higher. Reality trumps theory every time. I pointed it out for a reason - what should happen isn't always what happens. Sometimes you need to look at the actual data instead of relying on assumptions. Hard to believe, I know :/

My point was simply that magazines and armchair racers make a huge deal about comparisons like this, but people who actually buy the cars have different motivations. There are folks who buy either car who think they have the fastest car on the road. Those people are idiots. Then there are folks who buy either one for reasons that are not feature articles. Those people are enthusists. I realize this concept might be beyond your intellect. I did not say it was over your head - you opened your mouth and proved it.

I really want to know how you, who would never buy either one, can tell me, who looked seriously at both at one point and made a purchasing decision, can have the gall to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've actually put my money where my mouth is. You, however, are notorious for not doing so.

Put up or shut up. And we all know you will never do either.

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs Mustang GT Track