Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Camaro SS vs Mustang GT Track

Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They're both overweight barges that should be on the drag strip not the track...
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1357299950' post='22245030
[quote name='NuncoStr8' timestamp='1357292339' post='22244958']the trap speed is in favor of the lighter, less powerful car.
Actaully, given the same power/weight and the same aerodynamics (Cd*A), trap speed should be slightly in favor of the heavier/more-powerful car.
According to the article, unless it's yet another typo, the Mustang trapped 0.1 mph higher. Reality trumps theory every time.[/quote] I said "given the same power/weight". So the Mustang has *slightly* better power to weight (less of an advantage than published hp numbers suggest, though) Of course there are other factors involved as well, but I presumed (big presumption apparently) that saying that "...trap speed should be slightly in favor..." pretty clearly indicates that it isn't *always* going to be the case, anyway.

I pointed it out for a reason - what should happen isn't always what happens. Sometimes you need to look at the actual data instead of relying on assumptions.
Exactly. If you went by the published power and weight numbers, the Mustang should have KILLED the Camaro. Experimental results suggest that the published hp numbers are not accurate.

My point was simply that magazines and armchair racers make a huge deal about comparisons like this,
Actual racers should be very interested as well. Anyone choosing between the two might think that the Mustang should have big advantages at the strip and at the track, but again, these results suggest otherwise...

but people who actually buy the cars have different motivations. There are folks who buy either car who think they have the fastest car on the road. Those people are idiots. Then there are folks who buy either one for reasons that are not feature articles. Those people are enthusists.
Again, the suggestion that "enthusiasts" shouldn't care about actual performance. You funny!

I realize this concept might be beyond your intellect.
Clearly!

I did not say it was over your head - you opened your mouth and proved it.
My mouth is generally closed as I'm typing.

I really want to know how you, who would never buy either one, can tell me, who looked seriously at both at one point and made a purchasing decision, can have the gall to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've actually put my money where my mouth is.
And that means you can speak for ALL who have considered these cars and their motives for choosing one over the other?

You, however, are notorious for not doing so.
So before I can comment on these cars and their performance, I have to actually BUY one?

Put up or shut up. And we all know you will never do either.
You're right, I will never spend ridiculous $$$ for either of these oversized/overweight behemoths.
When I did "put my money where my mouth is" I put it towards something WAY faster than these piggies

Eventually I will stop discussing cars on internet forums, but for now, with posts as entertaining as yours popping up on a regular basis, how can I resist?!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:17 AM

I'd take either as long as the tops retracted or better yet had a short bed like the old Caminos and rancheros to carry my fishing poles/hay and kegs.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mezza
They're both overweight barges that should be on the drag strip not the track...
I guess the GTR needs to get taken off the track too.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Originally Posted by Mezza' timestamp='1357376207' post='22247105
I guess the GTR needs to get taken off the track too.
And the M3, 1 Series M, C63, XKR-S,S5, S4, R8...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
I really want to know how you, who would never buy either one, can tell me, who looked seriously at both at one point and made a purchasing decision, can have the gall to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. I've actually put my money where my mouth is. You, however, are notorious for not doing so.
But you didn't buy either one, either. You have a 10-year old Mustang, not either of these two vehicles, both of which are quite different than what you own.

So, you don't have anything more to add than ZDan, if we're going by the "ownership/experience" rule.

Didn't we cover this before, when you were blasting people about making suggestions about a Lotus without owning one? Yeah, we did...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by ElTianti' timestamp='1357330809' post='22246088
Just an FYI, the Mustang is the lightest V8, 4 passenger car in production.
For what is supposed to be a smallish, nonlux 2+2, it is still a bit oversized and overweight as far as I'm concerned.

If Toyobaru can make a modern S13 240SX with little/no weight penalty (FR-S/BRZ), Ford should be able to make a 3200 lb. modern V8 Mustang. Here's hoping the next gen is a big step in that direction

While I agree with you in spirit, keep in kind the frs is 25k and, despite people not blasting it since its not american, isnt exactly a benchmark of refinement with its plasticy interior. So I'm sure ford is capable of making such a car but the inevitable price of it and broad appeal may kill it; the vast majority of consumers in america prefer bigger cars all things equal. But I'm with in that id love to see it get a bit lighter, but mor e importantly remain at an achievable price point.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by ElTianti' timestamp='1357330809' post='22246088
For what is supposed to be a smallish, nonlux 2+2, it is still a bit oversized and overweight as far as I'm concerned.

If Toyobaru can make a modern S13 240SX with little/no weight penalty (FR-S/BRZ), Ford should be able to make a 3200 lb. modern V8 Mustang. Here's hoping the next gen is a big step in that direction

Wow, I want some of what you're smoking if you think anyone is going to build a V8 2+2 coupe that weights 3200lbs. The Ferrari 458 weights more than that, the F12 tops 3500lbs.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ElTianti
Originally Posted by ZDan' timestamp='1357333859' post='22246205
[quote name='ElTianti' timestamp='1357330809' post='22246088']

Wow, I want some of what you're smoking if you think anyone is going to build a V8 2+2 coupe that weights 3200lbs. The Ferrari 458 weights more than that, the F12 tops 3500lbs.
[/quote]

It's possible. 3200lbs is definitely pushing it with all the luxuries people demand in cars these days, but if what Ford has been saying is true the new Mustang will be at least 250lbs lighter than it is now. So 3,350 lbs.

The pre-05+ GTs weighed under 3,300lbs. I have hope!
Old 01-05-2013, 03:42 PM

...So before I can comment on these cars and their performance, I have to actually BUY one?
If you choose to ignore people who actually have bought one, anything you say is uninformed conjecture.

Anyone who is seriously looking at one of these cars for actual road racing is going to buy a body in white or otherwise gut it. People who are looking at bracket racing with a new Camaro or Mustang doesn't care which is faster, they care which is capable of the most consistent runs. And they are going to mod the piss out of it anyway, so stock for stock is meaningless.

These two cars are aimed at the weekend warrior who might hit up a drag strip or road course a few times a season. Or the Walter Mitty types who just enjoy owning the thing without really putting it through it's paces. Someone really into DE track days or autocross will replace the stock rubber in the first season so articles like this are really a moot point from that perspective. Entertaining reading for those who will never buy or drive one, but not applicable to real life in any way. Tire difference has been brought up already, so it's not like I'm the only one who rolls their eyes when people quote comparos like this as gospel.

I sometimes post just to see who thinks it's clever to take the time to rebut each individual sentence. Rather than restrict their comments to specific points of difference in the form of a rational debate. If you are having fun, whatever. Although your willingness to admit publicly you do not understand idiom and metaphor is, well...

Quick Reply: Camaro SS vs Mustang GT Track