Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Considering an outback, am I nuts?

Old 10-06-2014, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering an outback, am I nuts?

Here's the deal, I've never owned anything but sports cars. Since leaving S2K land, I've owned a C6, a WRX and recently (about a year and a half ago) upgraded to an STI.
Ever since I got the STI, I've been rather unhappy. The car is really no faster than a WRX, frankly I'd argue that until you tune it it's actually noticeably slower. Even with a tune, the car gets better but the turbo lag is ridiculous and the car is just a lot less livable than the WRX due to the suspension setup. Don't get me wrong, I like stiff cars, never had an issue with the S2000 or the vette... but the STI is just unpleasant.
So at this point, I wanna switch again but have no idea what to buy because having a 2 yr old, I'm constrained to the world of 4 door cars (the horror).
Sadly, most decent sporty sedans no longer offer manual transmissions, particularly when you throw in the fact that I would much, much prefer to have a hatch over a trunk.
So anyway, the few ideas I've had are the Audi Q5 TDI (great mileage and over 400lb/ft of torque) but I'm a bit afraid of the maintenance costs plus it's a tad over my budget to begin with. Then there's the Macan but the problems are the same as the audi... So lately I've been thinking F it, why not put sporty cars on hold for a few years and get something like an outback. The new 2015s are pretty sweet, the interior is nice, they are comfortable as hell, they're kinda the ultimate beater. At this point, for lack of better ideas I'm thinking I could trade the STI more or less straight up for a brand new loaded 3.6r outback.
My question I guess is, am I crazy? Has anyone on the boards made that kind of switch and if so, have you found yourself seriously regretting giving up sports cars? Do you miss it or is it livable, maybe even enjoyable in a who gives a sh*t sort of way. I kind of feel like it could be fun to have a go anywhere don't care if it's dirty or dinged ultimate beater with all the comforts, luxury and technology on the inside. I guess I'm just scarred I might pull the trigger on this and a few month down the road seriously regret my decision...
Oh, also important to note in case I didn't make that clear, this would be my first venture into automatic transmissions as all the options I'm looking at don't offer manual options. In 24 years of car ownership, I've never owned an automatic and really would have preferred to keep it that way. Anyone been in my shoes and move to an auto? Did you hate it or did it turn out to be alright?
Also open to other suggestions as my mind isn't fully made up. Considerations would be under 40k, 4 door and preferably a hatch.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot answer your questions but have you considered a Pontiac G8 GXP? Their was only 1829 units sold so you shouldn't take much of a hit if you hate it and sale in a month. It also has an LS3 with a 6spd manual.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:28 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

I was in your shoes a year ago and a few weeks ago... so take this as you may.

1.5 years ago I traded my 05 S in on a 2013 accord for the same reasons you are looking to get rid of the STI. (Was getting married, planned on kids right away) I didnt like the Accord and decided to trade it in on a Rav4 limited for something with AWD and heated leather for our NE winters, also much cheaper and comfortable DD.

Now the wife is pregnant and we are expecting this January, I picked up a cheap AP1 for a fun car and I couldn't be happier. I love that I can have fun on the weekends and tinker in the garage without worry that the car is my DD. I've found that personally if I try to DD the S or buy a compromise "sporty" DD, I'm not happy. So with the Rav and S I have the best of both worlds all for way less than the cost of a new STI.

When I traded my S and the comfort of a nice DD wore off, I missed my "toy" car so much, I felt like I was going to have a nervous breakdown just going to work and coming home, rinse 'n repeat everyday without a hobby! I don't recommend it!
Old 10-07-2014, 04:35 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

If you really want to stay with a manual, I think there are options.

Used Polestar XC60?

New V60 wagon?

Golf Sportwagen - coming in early 2015.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Won't touch a German car. I bought the wife an mdx to move the family.

If manual is a must, your options limited. If you can go auto then you can get into a lot of fun cars. I drive a Lexus IS which is large enough for a kid plus dog. I want a charger and an working through the domestic thing.

Does mpg change your view of a car?

Had a boosted legacy gt and loved the power, didn't love the long term performance. Outback seems like a woman's car.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I think you need a sedate daily driver and a balls to the wall toy car. Get something boring and safe to drive to work and then turn your fun car experience up to 11.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:21 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up a 14 GLK 250 diesel earlier this year. The way mine is optioned its a little above your price range but I am shocked at how well I like it. I'm right at 16,000 miles with an overall average of 33.2 Mpg's. Yes, I would like to have sportier handling and a manual but I love this thing. The new GLA's are out and in your price range. "If" you could live without the manual for your family hauler it would be worth a look.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:24 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I had a 2007 Outback Turbo Limited with a 5 speed. They don't make the turbo or the five speed any more, and it really is not the same car. But as far as having a awd Subie wagon, it was a great second car to my S2000. It was comfortable, a decent ride, and relatively efficient. The 3.6 is the best engine in that car but it is not really a great six. It is fine, but not particularly powerful and a bit thirsty. The rest of the car is very nice.

And despite the fact that rob-2 won't touch a german car and feels that the Outback is for chicks, the Outback is a decent choice, and a friend has a Jetta wagon that is really cool. I would suggest one more option, and that is the BMW 328i wagon.

You'd have to look used to stay under $40k but I bought a 14 328i Xdrive with auto, (and I hate(d) autos) and it is the second best car I have ever owned, one slot above the S2000. Even with AWD I have gotten 38 mpg on a trip, average 28-30, it is the best awd system I have ever driven, it is comfy, sporty, rides great, and is just a great car. I only have 10,000 miles on it so I can't speak to how it will hold up over the long haul, but have not had one hiccup and love the machine. You might find a certified one that floats your boat. The last gen 335d diesel wagon is supposed to be awesome, but the interior is kind of plain.

I bought the SUV and HATED every boring second of driving it and every 18-21 mpg fill up. Wagons are much better unless you need to tow something big.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
If you really want to stay with a manual, I think there are options.

Used Polestar XC60?

New V60 wagon?

Golf Sportwagen - coming in early 2015.

Looked at volvo, not bad but overpriced. You get less for more than you do in the outback. Frankly at this point subaru has out volvoed volvo.
I'm also not into used cars. Not a fan of buying other people's problems. As far as I know, currently the volvos are not available in manual and once you option the out your looking at 5-10k more than I wanna spend.
Curious about the golf sportwagon though, frankly, would also consider the golf R.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Won't touch a German car. I bought the wife an mdx to move the family.

If manual is a must, your options limited. If you can go auto then you can get into a lot of fun cars. I drive a Lexus IS which is large enough for a kid plus dog. I want a charger and an working through the domestic thing.

Does mpg change your view of a car?

Had a boosted legacy gt and loved the power, didn't love the long term performance. Outback seems like a woman's car.
Yes, mpg is a factor. Tired of the 12 to 16 I'm getting in the STI. It's just rediculous, I got better milage in the vette (barely).
Won't buy american again, good luck with the domestic thing, can't say I recommend it.
I see what you mean about the outback, I much preferred tho old one which had the same engine as the legacy gt. In the 3.6, the outback is decent enough though and I don't know that I'd call it a woman's car outside of the 4 cylinder kid hauler version. It's actually more capable off road than a grand Cherokee.

Quick Reply: Considering an outback, am I nuts?