Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DD to Replace E46 ZHP

Old 11-26-2017, 06:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default DD to Replace E46 ZHP

I have a deal pending to sell my 2003 BMW 330i performance package (zhp) with 142k miles on it. Thinking about a newer daily driver to replace it and wanted to make sure I did not forget any good options. Budget is mid teens and priorities are utility (4 seats, prefer 4 doors), decent reliability, fun to drive, a decent interior and under 60K miles. The front runner right now is a MK7 Golf GTI DSG. Decent power, decent interior, pretty good chassis and reasonably fun to drive with good utility.

Other options are the Focus/Fiesta ST, BMW 135i, Evo X or WRX (maybe too many miles for my price). Anything else I'm missing?
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for the GTI. In the interest of full disclosure, I own a 2015 currently and really enjoy it. It's got almost 27k on it with no issues to speak of. It's a great DD, other than it lacks a bit of character. Very comfy (best interior of those you mentioned), plenty fast, and with the DSG, great in traffic. I would imagine you could get great deals on them used, considering the deal I got on mine new.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Barrett54
I'd go for the GTI. In the interest of full disclosure, I own a 2015 currently and really enjoy it. It's got almost 27k on it with no issues to speak of. It's a great DD, other than it lacks a bit of character. Very comfy (best interior of those you mentioned), plenty fast, and with the DSG, great in traffic. I would imagine you could get great deals on them used, considering the deal I got on mine new.
Thanks for the feedback, glad to hear you've had 27k problem free miles. I've never owned a VW but was scared of them in the early 2000's, they seemed to have lots of problems back then. I think you can get a new 2017 S (base) model for around 20k. I'm going to try and find a 2015 used for about 14-15.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

I just bought a mk7 gti to replace my Volt as a DD. Got it for roughly $7k off MSRP. Honestly best car I could have bought at that price. The Si was about $3,000 more I think.
I love the car. Practical, fun enough to drive, decent on gas. Will probably tune it next summer. I had an mk6 for roughly 40k miles and didn't have any issues.
Just make sure any car you buy has meticulous service records.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
I just bought a mk7 gti to replace my Volt as a DD. Got it for roughly $7k off MSRP. Honestly best car I could have bought at that price. The Si was about $3,000 more I think.
I love the car. Practical, fun enough to drive, decent on gas. Will probably tune it next summer. I had an mk6 for roughly 40k miles and didn't have any issues.
Just make sure any car you buy has meticulous service records.
Nice, honestly the MK7 has an interior/fit finish and feel of a much more expensive car. More in line with BMW than a japanese economy car.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I think it's pretty hard to beat a GTI for what you're looking at for. I think they're more reliable than what you (and I) saw in the previous decade.

The Fiesta ST might be fun, but might be a little too small and not as good on the highway.

The new Civic Si has gotten great reviews, but might be too new and more $ vs. what you'd like to spend.

I like the 135i, but only 2 doors and would probably cost considerably more to run than the others.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Nice, honestly the MK7 has an interior/fit finish and feel of a much more expensive car. More in line with BMW than a japanese economy car.
Yup. Interior quality was the most important thing for me for a DD. It’s def better than the Si. Feels like a baby Audi.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought a 2017 Sport DSG myself, really happy with the car so far but only 1.5k miles. Keep in mind 2017 "S" model is not available with lighting package, performance package, or Kessy (keyless entry). I am fairly certain that lighting/performance were options for 15/16 "S" model, so you might be better off with one of those if they are important to you.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

I had a 2016 GTI S 6spd with a downpipe, tune, and a few other little things. I ended up selling it a year and a half later with 30k miles, deprecation was like a rock since I bought it the week before dieselgate and I ended up getting $19.5k out of it. The car was ****ing immaculate, otherwise I'd have gotten less. Oh, have it clear bra'd before you pick it up, the front bumper paint is very soft.

They are a great DD, I had a long commute and was able to average over 30mpg. I pulled a trailer with my two track motorcycles on it from Phoenix to Spring Mountain Raceway, to Thunderhill Raceway, down to San Francisco, through LA, and back to Phoenix at an average of just over 26mpg.

Two reasons I got rid of it were:
1. I was worried about breaking it since VW does not look at cars that have been tuned nicely.
2. It's kind of a boring car to drive.

I replaced it with an 05 ZHP.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chibo
1. I was worried about breaking it since VW does not look at cars that have been tuned nicely.
isnt that every manufacturer? lol

Quick Reply: DD to Replace E46 ZHP