Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DD to Replace E46 ZHP

Old 11-28-2017, 08:36 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
I had a 2016 GTI S 6spd with a downpipe, tune, and a few other little things...

I replaced it with an 05 ZHP.
Oh the irony!
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

I'd imagine the DSG programming is different (from my TDI Sportwagen) but it's possibly my least favorite aspect of the car. The shift programming sucks, and it overrides manual inputs A LOT.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:43 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
isnt that every manufacturer? lol
VW can tell if a car has been flashed, even after reflashed to stock
Old 11-28-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 2016 GTI S 6spd with a downpipe, tune, and a few other little things. I ended up selling it a year and a half later with 30k miles, deprecation was like a rock since I bought it the week before dieselgate and I ended up getting $19.5k out of it. The car was ****ing immaculate, otherwise I'd have gotten less. Oh, have it clear bra'd before you pick it up, the front bumper paint is very soft.

They are a great DD, I had a long commute and was able to average over 30mpg. I pulled a trailer with my two track motorcycles on it from Phoenix to Spring Mountain Raceway, to Thunderhill Raceway, down to San Francisco, through LA, and back to Phoenix at an average of just over 26mpg.

Two reasons I got rid of it were:
1. I was worried about breaking it since VW does not look at cars that have been tuned nicely.
2. It's kind of a boring car to drive.

I replaced it with an 05 ZHP.
Surprised to hear it was boring, I thought it was pretty fun but only for a 5 min test drive. How do you compare it with the ZHP?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:52 AM

Most cars are fun on a short time scale

The GTI was a four door, and it felt overall roomier everywhere in the interior (the back seats are much more comfortable), quieter, and was obviously much quicker. My ZHP saw 26mpg on my normal commute, so just a few miles per gallon less than the GTI normally.

One of the main things that made the GTI boring to drive was how light all of the inputs were. Steering was light and without much feeling, the clutch pedal is terribly light stock (remove the spring and restrictor, but it's still light and you will destroy it if you don't take your time on the 1-2 shift to give it time to fully engage), the shifter has this weird magnetic pull feeling gate-to-gate. Brakes were pretty decent. The motor also doesn't sound that great compared to the usual BMW I6 noises. Also, the FWD thing. Major wheel hop unless you get a dogbone insert. The car also plays with the throttle itself, one easy to see example is to put the car in first at a stop with the clutch in then slowly draw the clutch out, the revs will rise on their own.

It's worth noting that you can buy three or four ZHPs for the price of one GTI, which was my main reason for getting rid of it (it was part of my path to being 100% debt free). I realized that I enjoy a more raw driving experience. The GTI is the opposite of that.

I realize you are looking for a DD, so most of what I say doesn't apply to you.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
I'd imagine the DSG programming is different (from my TDI Sportwagen) but it's possibly my least favorite aspect of the car. The shift programming sucks, and it overrides manual inputs A LOT.
The "Normal" DSG shiftpoints are ultimately geared for fuel economy (it will hold gears longer, but you have to manipulate it a bit with larger throttle inputs). The "Sport" setting is better, but maybe too aggressive for a standard commute. Somewhere in the middle would have been perfect, but if you really want to, you can just shift manually. Not a deal-breaker for me.

Also, I would say the "Lighting Package" is a must-have. It makes the car look much better (IMO) and is so much brighter than the halogen alternatives.

I also have the sport package. I like it, not sure if it's necessary for a DD though.

Scratch that. The upgraded brakes come on the sport package. They are very nice.

Last edited by Barrett54; 11-28-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 11-28-2017, 03:09 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

VW can tell if a car has been flashed, even after reflashed to stock
So can every manufacturer for the most part.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
So can every manufacturer for the most part.
Take your win and continue, I don't feel like arguing
Old 11-28-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

What about an E90 335?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:56 PM

As long as it isn't a diesel, I also had a 2011 335D MSport and it was a total lemon. Tossed the crank pulley into the hood at 35k miles, spent a combined total of 9 months with a loaner waiting for DEF tanks, major carbon buildup issues (expensive on this car since it has two sets of intake runners and two sets of intake ports in the head), never could get the brakes to stop squealing, intake coupler leaks, BMW replaced the injectors twice, multiple wheel bearings by 75k, etc.

Quick Reply: DD to Replace E46 ZHP