Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DD to Replace E46 ZHP

Old 11-29-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
As long as it isn't a diesel, I also had a 2011 335D MSport and it was a total lemon. Tossed the crank pulley into the hood at 35k miles, spent a combined total of 9 months with a loaner waiting for DEF tanks, major carbon buildup issues (expensive on this car since it has two sets of intake runners and two sets of intake ports in the head), never could get the brakes to stop squealing, intake coupler leaks, BMW replaced the injectors twice, multiple wheel bearings by 75k, etc.
Dang, I have a 328i M-sport and love it!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 267 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrett54
The "Normal" DSG shiftpoints are ultimately geared for fuel economy (it will hold gears longer, but you have to manipulate it a bit with larger throttle inputs). The "Sport" setting is better, but maybe too aggressive for a standard commute. Somewhere in the middle would have been perfect, but if you really want to, you can just shift manually. Not a deal-breaker for me.
My beef with the standard DSG setting is that it is sluggish as hell downshifting after I've turned from one street to another. The car will upshift as I coast through the turn, but then when I push the throttle, no downshift. Push throttle harder, transmission will downshift twice, then boost hits and then tires spin. Ridiculous. If I'm making a lot of 90° turns I just put it into manual mode. Sport setting, in my eyes, does nothing except hold gears longer before upshifting. Which is pretty dumb when I want better response but don't need to hold onto gears up to 75% of max engine speed. And Sport mode does nothing different when slowing down (no aggressive downshifting). In fact it's funny because in default normal mode I can feel the DSG downshifting as I slow down. I view that as a bit aggressive for "default". Yet in Sport mode it does nothing different, i.e. it's not aggressive enough. And manual shifting inputs by me are overridden all the time by the ECU.

I'm sure this isn't a GTI problem. Prob just a TDI issue. Maybe I should look for answers on a VW forum LOL.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
What about an E90 335?
Been there done that, rather stick with my E46. Less complicated, cheaper to fix, more reliable. Looking for something I don't have to work on once every 2-3 months.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
As long as it isn't a diesel, I also had a 2011 335D MSport and it was a total lemon. Tossed the crank pulley into the hood at 35k miles, spent a combined total of 9 months with a loaner waiting for DEF tanks, major carbon buildup issues (expensive on this car since it has two sets of intake runners and two sets of intake ports in the head), never could get the brakes to stop squealing, intake coupler leaks, BMW replaced the injectors twice, multiple wheel bearings by 75k, etc.
Wow - seriously? I've always thought the 335d would be an awesome daily driver. Guess I was wrong.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:54 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
My beef with the standard DSG setting is that it is sluggish as hell downshifting after I've turned from one street to another. The car will upshift as I coast through the turn, but then when I push the throttle, no downshift. Push throttle harder, transmission will downshift twice, then boost hits and then tires spin. Ridiculous. If I'm making a lot of 90° turns I just put it into manual mode. Sport setting, in my eyes, does nothing except hold gears longer before upshifting. Which is pretty dumb when I want better response but don't need to hold onto gears up to 75% of max engine speed. And Sport mode does nothing different when slowing down (no aggressive downshifting). In fact it's funny because in default normal mode I can feel the DSG downshifting as I slow down. I view that as a bit aggressive for "default". Yet in Sport mode it does nothing different, i.e. it's not aggressive enough. And manual shifting inputs by me are overridden all the time by the ECU.

I'm sure this isn't a GTI problem. Prob just a TDI issue. Maybe I should look for answers on a VW forum LOL.
I had the same gripe about my TDI Sportwagen. My wife's Allroad DSG has no such problem though. I realize they are not the same transmission, but it shows that it's likely a programming issue and not something inherent with a DSG.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:59 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Wow - seriously? I've always thought the 335d would be an awesome daily driver. Guess I was wrong.
I think if you tear the emissions equipment out (alphabet delete) it would be pretty reliable since almost everything not-normal-BMW that went wrong was related to that shit. Wheel bearings were kind of weird, and the crank pulley was probably some weird thing where BMW hadn't figured out the motor yet.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
The "Sport" setting in the GTI very aggressive downshifting as you slow down, FYI. Like you said, it must be a TDI thing.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:23 PM

Well still haven't pulled the trigger, but the ZHP is gone so I'm just going to dd my M2 for now. Still leaning towards the GTI DSG. Anyone owned a 15+ Focus/Fiesta ST? Are the interiors tolerable with a higher option package?
Old 12-28-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove a Fiesta ST when I was looking to replace my Z06. It's a fun car but pretty tiny and the interior is very basic. The Recaros are nice though. I'd like one as a winter daily if I had more space so I wouldn't have to get snows for the F80. The Golf is much nicer and bigger inside though.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by turtl631
I test drove a Fiesta ST when I was looking to replace my Z06. It's a fun car but pretty tiny and the interior is very basic. The Recaros are nice though. I'd like one as a winter daily if I had more space so I wouldn't have to get snows for the F80. The Golf is much nicer and bigger inside though.
Thanks I instructed a student in a HPDE in Fiesta ST and all I can remember is how seasick I got cause the non Recaros had the least lateral support of any seat I've ever been in. I probably need to stick with a Golf/Focus size car.

Quick Reply: DD to Replace E46 ZHP