Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

DD/track car to replace S2000: BRZ or 996 or 987 or ???

Old 11-21-2017, 07:07 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
I'm no slouch in DE4 but Ive had the same experience.
LOL, glad I am not the only one! There have been a couple where I am begging my car to go faster as they slowly gain on me or pull away. One in particular that is full track prepped on R-comps goes high 1:30s at Mid-Ohio club coarse and flirts with the TTC record set by an S2000
Old 11-21-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
~$30k max, open to much less expensive options if compelling...
Unless I'm having wrong assumptions about why you set this budget, this should rule out a P-car. Yes you can buy one but maintain and track it....different story.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadian144
I had an FRS as a DD for about 6 months and ended up selling it. The motor feels lethargic and boring, especially compared to the lively F20. Fantastic chassis, but the motor really is lacking IMO.
C5 Z06 maybe? lol.
On the DD side, 205hp doesn't bother me. I'm pretty much never in VTEC in the S2000 on the street, so basically it's a ~150hp car for my daily-driving usage, BRZ would be an improvement in terms of torque/lb. But I would want more power at the track...
C5 Z06, nah. Ungainly bulbulous backside made worse by the truncated roof, interior looks bad, car looks and feels big even if it's not terribly heavy. I'd sooner go C6, at least the outside looks cool. But if/when I get a Corvette it will be a '70-'72...
Old 11-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
You should be able to buy an Evora around that price range.
Very few and far between, and asking more like $40k... They look fantastic, but worry about "kit car" nature, while for similar asking price range I could get a 987.2 with more power/less weight, or maybe even a 997.2 with more power slightly heavier.

Still, will keep eyes open if a good one pops up for low-$
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
I just bought an frs after owning a c5z and I've also owned 2 s2000s, and for mundane driving around town and such it is infinitely better, I've already out more miles on it in the last 1.5 months than I did my vette for a whole year including a track day. If a miata was on your radar but you don't want a miata, the 86s fit the bill perfect.
Yeah, I want fixed roof and some greater utility, which the +2 seating and larger cargo volume give.

The s2000 really is a compelling argument but frankly for Dr type work the 86 again is infinitely better, more room, more creature comforts, and it's short footprint makes zipping around town fun.
I also have a long commute, and the wind noise in the S2000 is very fatiguing and has probably given me a permanent mild ringing (doh..).

There are quite a few BRZ '17 Limiteds with the Performance Package (Brembo brakes, Sachs dampers, *slightly* wider 7.5" wheels) at dealers near me in RI/eastern Mass. I have a feeling they are going to have to accept a lot less than MSRP on those cars with the snows coming
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Very few and far between, and asking more like $40k... They look fantastic, but worry about "kit car" nature, while for similar asking price range I could get a 987.2 with more power/less weight, or maybe even a 997.2 with more power slightly heavier.

Still, will keep eyes open if a good one pops up for low-$
A buddy of mine does over 40 track days a year in his Evora S and has done so for the last 5 years. No engine rebuilds or anything. Just annuals and brakes/tires when needed. I would suggest you driving an Evora before just throwing out stats on weight and power. None of those Porsche's have excitement of driving like the Evora and they are all more stiff over bumpy roads. Kit car nature means it's actually easier for you work on since there is less & complexity. It should start from what car gets you excited start up in the morning and look at, at night.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by freq
I'm no slouch in DE4 but Ive had the same experience.
ZDan, get another S2000. You have a parts car and ALL that experience and knowledge already at hand.
Considering the current options only highlights what a fantastic car the S2000 was (and is). I just wish they'd made it a fixed-roof coupe/hatch!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:29 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I own a 981 and have driven a 987 a couple times. I have never had a track day. But if you go the 987 route, just buy one of the cheaper ones with a ton of miles and be prepared to replace things once in a while. I don't really think making a daily out of a Porsche is a great idea for most people just because of how much they cost and how much they depreciate with miles.

I spent what I consider a ton of money to me on mine and plan to put 2,500 miles a year on it like I did with my S2000 which makes it cost a lot per mile. But if you daily the thing, get ready for the dings and dents, wear and tear, and the car becomes less special as the miles pile up. While I spend a bunch on this car that I don't drive much, I plan to be putting miles on it 15-20 years from now. The car is what I always wanted and is special to me.

I guess what I am trying to say, and doing a lousy job of, is that for a $30,000 budget and the intent on making it a daily, I'd just get another S2000, a miata, a brz at a modest price, and modify it to be whatever I wanted. At $30,000 you are going to be looking at higher mileage Porsches, which are frankly quite reliable, but things do break and when they do, they cost a LOT of money.

I plan to add a DD fun car when my Cayman payments are up, but that will be something like a Miata or a few year old nicely depreciated M235-240i with a stick.

I understand getting bored with a car. I liked my S2000, but after a dozen years I wanted something else. How many track days do you actually do in a year? Why not keep your S2000 and make it a track special, and just add something fun to daily?
Old 11-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

BRZ w/ performance pack.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
BRZ w/ performance pack.
i cant imagine that is better than what you can diy for the same price right?

Quick Reply: DD/track car to replace S2000: BRZ or 996 or 987 or ???