Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Dealer accidentally remote starts...

Old 03-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who's to say the dealership or its agents even knew it was a manual? If I see remote start on a key fob, I think, "It's okay to press this". Aftermarket mod is the cause. The lawyers working for the aftermarket company have probably covered this in the literature provided. DO NOT INSTALL ON VEHICLES WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

Not only should the owner pay, but he should be replacing the fence.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Mar 26 2010, 07:58 AM
Yeah, its not the owner's fault, that's like blaming the owner that the car had 300 hp and the service tech spun it out and wrecked it. What if you brought you S in for service, and you happen to have bald tires, and a tech spins it out while testing it in the rain? Is it your fault he wrecked for having bald tires? Hell no.

There's no reason the car needed to be remote started, its unfortunate, but that's why the dealership has insurance. Guy will get a new Mustang out of it.
That's not a good analogy. Bald tires are visible. Removing electronic safety features is something that you can't easily see. I mean, if you were to sit in a stranger's car, you would probably assume the airbags worked but you could be wrong.

What do you mean no reason for the car to be remote started? Then why did the owner install it?

The safety feature that was supposed to prevent this from happening was tinkered with. This itself is enough for the insurance companies to easily point out, and this makes the Mustang owner at fault.

Adding to the post about replacing the button w/ an explosive device, the same could happen with the trunk release. How is a regular joe from a dealership gonna know you replaced the trunk release with a self-destruct mechanism? Is it gonna be his fault because he was the one who presses that button as he is trying to access your spare tire?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:42 AM

How about the fact that someone (i.e. dealer) didn't leave the parking brake on? If it were on, it surely would've caused the car to stall/stop immediately...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM

Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Here is what I don't get. We got a bunch of panties up here who want remote start because when its 20 below they are too nancy to get into a cold vehicle and wait for the heat to come on like a real man. Now this guy is in Florida. What is the point of remote start in Florida? Too nancy to get into a car heated by the sun and wait a few seconds for AC?

Why in my day we had to ROLL the windows down with a crank. This country is going to hell.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by vader1,Mar 26 2010, 01:06 PM
Here is what I don't get. We got a bunch of panties up here who want remote start because when its 20 below they are too nancy to get into a cold vehicle and wait for the heat to come on like a real man. Now this guy is in Florida. What is the point of remote start in Florida? Too nancy to get into a car heated by the sun and wait a few seconds for AC?

Why in my day we had to ROLL the windows down with a crank. This country is going to hell.
Forget windows, I had to hand crank the car in my day...

Old 03-26-2010, 09:35 AM

You guys are cranky.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by devs2k,Mar 26 2010, 01:20 PM
Forget windows, I had to hand crank the car in my day...

Forget crank starting, in my day you had to walk the damn car around.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Mar 26 2010, 03:15 AM
its the owner's fault. THAT'S WHY THE REMOTE START REQUIRES THE CLUTCH TO BE DEPRESSED TO START, its to prevent this from happening!! If you tinker around the electronics, there's no way the dealership guys are gonna know that you did it.
Why would you need a remote starter if someone had to be there to push in the clutch so that it would work? I could understand if the car had to be in neutral.

Quick Reply: Dealer accidentally remote starts...