Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The death of the manual gearbox

Old 07-26-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Even though Porsche put a manual in their 991, I believe it's simply an adaptation of the PDK - that's why it's a 7 speed manual. When I ordered mine in 2012 with manual the dealer (Tyson's in No VA) said it was the only cab ordered in manual for the 991 model at that point (from that dealership). I understand why most typical 911 drivers might want PDK in DC traffic, though I have to say it's an easy clutch and has good torque for stop and go. Still, seems a shame not to even have an option for it in the GT3.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been researching BMWs and read many comments on the boards that BMW doesn't put too much focus and development effort into their manual transmission anymore since they're trying to discourage buyers from choosing manual (I think it's just speculation, not based on any statement by BMW). Motor Trend's long term 3 series (I think that was the article) said the current 3 series manual tranny is not very good, especially compared to the 8 speed [edit] automatic. And it doesn't cost you extra to get this automatic. I test drove a couple of bimmers with the auto and IMO it shifts as fast as the Audi DSG, and it's less complicated. I can't find a local BMW dealer that has a 228i with a manual transmission for a test drive (we got spoiled by our S2K's amazing manual). Some people on the boards like it a whole lot though, so it must be better than the 3 series (road tests of the M235i manual say it's a great tranny).

A post on VWvortex.com says that Audi will do away with all manual transmissions after 2015. Supposedly, "the manual transmission is not in keeping with our image as a technological leader" according to Audi. They offer the new S3 with a manual in Europe but it doesn't look like will be an option in the US when it goes on sale here in a month or two.

So the 228i is on my list for a DD, but I want a nice shifting manual. That's why the 4 door GTI is also on my list, but one car I recently test drove that has one sweet manual transmission is the Mazda 6. The engine is the least powerful of these 3 cars, but the power train combination with the manual tranny felt "Just Right" to me. The Mazda6 is looking like a nice option right now for a work DD, considering all the reported BMW software issues leaving drivers stranded.

One of my staff, female in her mid-20s, always drove manual transmissions due to her growing up (and her husband is a car enthusiast). She recently bought a Jeep Compass and test drove the auto and hated it. She was lucky enough to find one with a manual at a lot. The salesman said it had been sitting there for a long time and they couldn't sell it no matter what.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The manual transmission has been "dying" since the 1960s in the U.S.. However, it's still here.

The fact is that most Americans don't want to be involved in their driving, thus we have automatics instead of manuals, lane departure warning and lane keep assist instead of paying attention to the lanes, blind spot assist instead of properly adjusting mirrors, rear (and sometimes front) cameras instead of using our eyes to park.....the list goes on.

Personally, I think Americans are ready for fully automated cars.
So much of this. Americans (and people in general) are just continuously becoming more and more disconnected from their every day world. We have Facebook and IM to chat with our friends instead of calling, webcam interviews instead of face-to-face, iTunes/Netflix instead of browsing a Music/Video store...

Cars are no different. Most people are no longer interested in being invested in their day-to-day activities, and a large part of that is driving. Why put the time and effort into a manual gearbox when you can purchase a modern automatic that has all the computer-assist you could ever ask for?

There aren't many modern cars I'd ever leave my 90s/early 2000s era love for. There will always be a cliche of manual-enthusiasts, but we're on a downward trend that will bottom out at some point.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We can bet on one thing. The manual transmission will be wanted, and I'm pretty sure BMW still has manual in the M6. Which to me that's pretty cool seeing how in 2013, there was a whole "save the manual" campaign. There will be people wanting manual, and right now, I'm looking for a IS300... No manuals in Miami but one for sale.

Instead of adjusting your mirrors, out further from you if that makes sense to the point that as soon as you adjust it far enough, and you can't see your rear quarter panel, you're doing it right. Almost no blind spot.

People nowadays are too focused on their phones. I was driving home and saw the scariest thing ever. This chick had her phone on the top of the wheel, right above the airbag for lack of better words, texting the entire time. Both hands on the phone and typing away the whole time...

Driving stick forces you to look at the road and pay attention to speed, and RPMs if you haven't learned the car yet. You also have something to do so you're not completely bored out of your mind on a long road doing the 35mph speed limit.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people dislike driving; it's a chore and they're not interested in anything but getting where they are going. I've seen many insane things to distract people from the actual act of driving, from shaving or doing make up to one fool on the 101 who was on his laptop. For these people I totally understand all the blind spot sensors, cameras, and warnings. Many people will stay with manual though. I think there will always be some cars offered in manual. There will be less because of paddle shifters being available, and the performance they give, but you will always be able to find some with a stick. The "auto revmatch" thing found in the 370z worries me though, I could see that becoming a huge craze. I, however, plan on always having a true manual car somewhere in my garage until the day I die.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If auto manufacturers included rev match that would make it easier to drive I'm sure more people would buy the car. Just have a way to turn it off.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well my next car will not be a manual as I am getting older, clutching 200 times on the way to work over 20 miles is rediculous plus I like the tech of the DCT transmissions. I love the manual in my car now when I get to really drive it. I love a manual when it the better performance way to go, but now a days the manual is no match for a good auto/DCT unless the manual is in the 911 or M3/M4. Once the cars from Asia catch up with 8 speed autos and DCT's, the manuals they have will go away.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
If auto manufacturers included rev match that would make it easier to drive I'm sure more people would buy the car. Just have a way to turn it off.
They even have "hill assist" in some cars now. Some people hate the hill assist though.

The new vette has auto rev match. I'm interested in seeing the sales figures of the Auto vs the manual but I have a feeling that the new 8spd Auto is going to be pretty popular.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my new stick shift civic has hill assist, I hate it and can't turn it off. I've even seen some auto trans cars with hill assist now for those too lazy to hold the brake with the left foot on a hill
Old 07-28-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David1
Well my next car will not be a manual as I am getting older, clutching 200 times on the way to work over 20 miles is rediculous plus I like the tech of the DCT transmissions. I love the manual in my car now when I get to really drive it. I love a manual when it the better performance way to go, but now a days the manual is not match for a good auto/DCT unless the manual is in the 911 or M3/M4. Once the cars from Asia catch up with 8 speed autos and DCT's, the manuals they have will go away.
Yes, if performance is your priority, then DCT or good 8 speed autos are the way to go. The BMW 8-speed auto is faster than the manual. But it's not always about ultimate performance though. Not to me anyway. Sometimes it's about the driving experience. And to me you can't beat a good manual for a ultimate fun to drive experience. IDK if there's research out there but if you drive a manual you're more likely to pay attention to the task of driving instead of your phone or your tunes. Give a shiFt

Quick Reply: The death of the manual gearbox