Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver

Old 10-31-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver

Hey all, I just picked up a 2015 Heron White Chevy SS 6MT last week. I've been looking for a couple years now and things finally worked out for me to pull the trigger. I traded in my '11 Si Sedan towards this car and couldn't be happier. This one has only 2,000 mi and was a GM corporate vehicle of some sort. Don't know much beyond that, but I do have an extended CPO warranty which is good peace of mind.

I've owned mostly Hondas and essentially all imports most of my life. This is my first GM product, first Chevy, first Holden, first V8, first LSX, and so on... basically a lot of firsts! It's such a new/different experience compared to what I'm used to. The only power I was really familiar with was 4cyl turbos, I wanted to mix it up with something new and always wanted some kind of manual V8 RWD. I was interested in getting a new daily and the SS just checked all the boxes for what I wanted. Grabbed a few poor photos while we still had a little bit of daylight, I'll try to get more/better ones later. So far I've purchased some Weathertech all weather mats, tint, and a skip shift eliminator... that was quite the annoying "feature" that had to go! It makes you shift from 1st to 4th in certain conditions for fuel economy. A quick/simple plug 'n play bypass switch later, and it's no longer an issue

Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver-xmoumlu.jpg

Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver-5dqspoi.jpg

Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver-jp856kl.jpg

Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver-7hzuibx.jpg

Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver-gubgpqf.jpg
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Nice pickup! They look a lot better with some of the chrome blacked out and the Holden badging IMO. I considered one before getting my M3 but I was coming from a Z06 and wanted something more different.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Welcome to the v8 club. They make for great daily drivers. You're going to love this car!
Old 10-31-2017, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by turtl631
Nice pickup! They look a lot better with some of the chrome blacked out and the Holden badging IMO. I considered one before getting my M3 but I was coming from a Z06 and wanted something more different.
I agree, on the list next is Holden badges front/rear and the blackout kit for the front area, as well as the side vents.

Originally Posted by rob-2
Welcome to the v8 club. They make for great daily drivers. You're going to love this car!
Thanks! It's been great so far, the easy power on tap and both low and high RPM is fantastic! Definitely spoils you quickly, I'm already asking myself why did I wait so long to own a V8?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:15 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Any interior and engine pics?
Old 10-31-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats! Everyone says it's a modern E39 M5, so I'm highly interested. In fact, my own E39 M5 was featured in Motor Trend's review of the SS!

I miss my E39 but the prices are getting higher and I don't miss ALWAYS having something on the list to fix. Maybe an SS is the answer...
Old 10-31-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Great choice! Very rare, too.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Any interior and engine pics?
I'm at work and don't have any available to me at the moment... it's bone stock though, so what you see online is what mine looks like. The interior is pretty nice compared to what I'm used to, although reviews say it's not as nice as what the Germans have. Makes sense, but it's an upgrade for me!

Originally Posted by white98ls
Congrats! Everyone says it's a modern E39 M5, so I'm highly interested. In fact, my own E39 M5 was featured in Motor Trend's review of the SS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLweooe3aM&t=1s

I miss my E39 but the prices are getting higher and I don't miss ALWAYS having something on the list to fix. Maybe an SS is the answer...
Awesome! I've seen that video several times, loved the tape deck at the beginning lol. It is cool to see how much the 2 cars have in common, I have to say that was another reason (among many) that made me pull the trigger.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the nice pick up. This is a cool car to have...one the last RWD V8 out there. I wish the styling was more like the Pontiac G8 though (less chrome).
Old 10-31-2017, 10:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What 2-post is that? And what's the ceiling height?

Quick Reply: Decided to branch out and try something different - new daily driver