Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Designing a sports car

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Designing a sports car

Hello members,
I am an Industrial Designer, to make the story short I have an opportunity to design a car for a project. This project calls for an affordable sports car. I have the option of creating something entirely new or create something new for a revived model. What I have in mind is either a coupe version of the S2000 something like the S600 option and near the same dimensions or weight(as much as possible)or a Beat with sports car attributes. I have less than 30 weeks to complete this project, among many other projects I need to do. I am currently deep into researching and I figure crowd sourcing is a good way to get information and input fast. What would you all be most interested in purchasing, if said vehicle was in production? (Note: there is no intention of literally building or producing said vehicle, said vehicle needs to be designed and brought as close to manufacturability as possible. This process is a design exercise that includes plan views)The final concept will be modeled in 3-D software, and a clay model will be produced.
Input in all aspects of designing a vehicle is welcomed, I am especially looking for aerodynamic engineers and or transportation designer who may be willing to act as a consultant if necessary. Anybody willing to loan time, facilities, or consultants to students would be immensely appreciated.
Edited to summarize and clarify.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

start with this - replace the center stack with a removable tablet - fix the ugly tail lights by removing the center - add a csl m3 style lip wing - lower it just slightly - make it out of the plastic they used in the saturns doors which is pre painted. Make it a mid engine either the vfr replacement bumped up to 200hp or the rumored new v4 with direct injection and dual clutch. Power folding hardtop with lotus levels of simplicity.

1800 pounds - 200 hp / 140lb ft of tq - 12,000 rpm - 60+ mpg - more importantly hella fun and fits anywhere. With a type R option that get's bumped up to 2.0L with increased bore and 300 hp 200 lbft of tq

Oh yeah and inboard actuated suspension.

Or go 4 wheel electric motor - hot swapable life po battery with solar paint - 2500 pounds or less - 300hp and 500lbft of tq - some sort of regen braking and freewheel power generation added.Hell why not have exhaust fans that generate electricity a airflow passes through them - make the cooling unit funnel under the car creating downforce and at the flat bottom exaust put the fans which can either generate electricity through airflow or be powered to create down force like was banned in racing
Old 09-20-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

College project?

The aero side should be a small factor while you haven't worked out the chassis/powertrain/interior size/etc. It's going to be a compromise no matter what, and you won't get too complicated in fluid flow on an entry level sports car. Just make the body shape look like a proven commodity and refine it when you have basic dimensions you're pretty happy with (car interior plus width/wheelbase).

You may want to check out formula cars to see what's the 'ideal' in that regard, look at exocars to see how they do it, check out a caterham/lotus 7 to see how it's done in a garage, look at as many ripped open/cutaway sports cars as you can find, and get a few book recommendations. If you're on such a short schedule, find good ideas and compile them as well as you can rather than trying to go at it from scratch.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are look to usuable aero for a street car the 458 italia is one of the finest and most advance examples available and heres a couple reasons

Old 09-22-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Duke Togo
If you are look to usuable aero for a street car the 458 italia is one of the finest and most advance examples available and heres a couple reasons

This is the kind of information I can use, though this particular example are things I already know. I actually sketched up a few concepts like the "spoilers" on the rear a couple years ago, probably should have done something with it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by ace123
College project?

The aero side should be a small factor while you haven't worked out the chassis/powertrain/interior size/etc. It's going to be a compromise no matter what, and you won't get too complicated in fluid flow on an entry level sports car. Just make the body shape look like a proven commodity and refine it when you have basic dimensions you're pretty happy with (car interior plus width/wheelbase).
Your pretty much right, though I'd like to be as thorough as possible, aerodynamics is something that has always interested me. Picking an aerodynamic engineers brain certainly can't hurt and maybe I could come up with something creative.

You may want to check out formula cars to see what's the 'ideal' in that regard, look at exocars to see how they do it, check out a caterham/lotus 7 to see how it's done in a garage, look at as many ripped open/cutaway sports cars as you can find, and get a few book recommendations. If you're on such a short schedule, find good ideas and compile them as well as you can rather than trying to go at it from scratch.
I'm way ahead of you on this one. Though I am trying to get more cutaways of cars as I find them extremely useful when they're even moderately accurate.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm not trying to be an asshole but it seems to me that your questions really betray the fact that you don't know enough to be taking on this project. The more I read in this thread, the more obvious it is that you're just talking out your ass.

I hope Tarheel sees this thread.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM

College project?

F1 aerodynamics? That's not even remotely applicable to a production car. Hell, that's not even remotely applicable to closed wheel cars at all. The underbody complexities of any era F1 car, particularly modern f1 car, alone keep this from being something that he should even remotely use a source of inspiration. Ditto the suspension and everything else. Might as well suggest he look at a 747 or a seagull for aerodynamic inspiration.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Maybe I'm just being an asshole but it seems to me that your questions really betray the fact that you don't know enough to be taking on this project.
I don't really care whether I seem intelligent enough or not. I'm trying to find some engineers or possibly designers that may be able to offer some insight, advice, or possibly facilities.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Honda007
Originally Posted by Duke Togo' timestamp='1316741343' post='20997439

This is the kind of information I can use, though this particular example are things I already know. I actually sketched up a few concepts like the "spoilers" on the rear a couple years ago, probably should have done something with it.
Again, I hate to sound like a dick but please explain to me how this diffusor works on this car. Don't google it, just explain to me what it does and how you would apply that to your car. This is something that I can easily explain so I don't think it's too much to ask someone who is in the process of building his own car to be able to do as well. I'd love to see that I'm wrong and that you knock one out of the park but it just really seems like you've bitten off more than you can chew.

Quick Reply: Designing a sports car