Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Douche-tastic dealer thread.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Back in 2006 i was looking to buy a new civic si. The first dealer i went to had a color that i didnt want. Told them if they could get a color i was interested in and the numbers were right, i would buy the car. They searched their database and told me they wouldnt be able to get one in a different color. This wasn't surprising as there was only a few within 100 miles of me. Anyway, the sales person ended up telling me "the color of your car doesn't matter because you cant see it while driving". That is when i walked out and ended up buying from a different dealer.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:00 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect
Oh yeah the four square thing. I respectfully tell them look, price and rate, tell me what you charge for doc fees, I have a calculator.

And then I find myself having to explain this 4 times. Smh.

Best experience though was at a Subaru dealer for my buddy's brz. Agreed on price, got pre approved. In and out in an hour only because their carwash had a log jam (they were really busy). Subaru in livermore, they even let me and a other buddy "test drive" an sti while we waited.
When a dealer breaks out that four square, for me its typically a game with the top two boxes only, and I use it against the dealer. Each time a new fee is introduced, I write it in the price box and make a subtraction. They don't like that.

Best experiences include my Genesis purchase. Toured the car, went off to do research with no pressure to buy, called back and came to a price on the phone for a car/spec. Only downside was the combo I wanted was pretty rare, and the closest car was 500 miles away. Dealer swapped cars and called my in the next day with no additional hassle.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Oh yeah the four square thing. I respectfully tell them look, price and rate, tell me what you charge for doc fees, I have a calculator.

And then I find myself having to explain this 4 times. Smh.

Best experience though was at a Subaru dealer for my buddy's brz. Agreed on price, got pre approved. In and out in an hour only because their carwash had a log jam (they were really busy). Subaru in livermore, they even let me and a other buddy "test drive" an sti while we waited.
Yeah i love Livermore Subaru! I used to work with Brian there till he transferred over to the Jaguar dealership down a block. But overall my experience everysingle time ive gone there has been amazing. They went above and beyond even when at the end of the day i didnt even buy a car from them (couldnt due to a stupid ford thing). I plan on going back there if i ever buy another Subie.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Tommy Devito, you sir, are a mother ****ing god.

calling 911 is ****ing genius!

darcy
Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 3,378 Likes on 2,454 Posts

The last time I visited my local Honda dealer for a potential purchase it was a huge disappointment. They snuck in so many hidden charges it was crazy stupid. They automatically assume you want the tire guard warranty, the body panel identification markings, the theft protection insurance, you name it they threw it into the deal. Dealer fees to do the sale, like really they want me to pay for their profit mark-up and then a fee to process the deal ? Wheel locks, this , that , and the other thing. Then the business manager takes you aside and wants to sell you rust protection, life insurance, extended warranties, accessories, and a bunch more crap. I don't know what happened to my local Honda dealer lately but their entire sales approach has been revamped. It is a very low-life approach to sales, you have to take a shower after dealing with them. They weren't like that 2-3 years ago, this is a big departure from what I remember when dealing with them in past years. They also have a vehicle trade in calculator on their website that tells you what they should pay for your used car, then when you go in to discuss the trade value it is thousands lower than what was listed on their website calculator, so like why even bother telling people about trade values. It is so stupid. It's like the entire dealership took a Tony Robbins course to amp up their sales pressure tactics.

I went down the street and bought a Subaru, they did not add anything into the sales quote. It was like here is the vehicle purchase price, make us your best offer, then select any vehicle options you want and lets do the deal. No dealer fees, no hidden charges, no upsale crap. The meeting the business manager took about 5 minutes, he didn't want to sell me anything, the only thing he wanted from me was my signature. . I was literally shocked, so like you guys only want to sell me a car and nothing else ? I was able to go in and out of the dealership knowing that I only bought what I wanted at the agreed upon price. It was so refreshing that I was shocked. I loved it.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:25 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw

darcy
Just don’t threaten to call 911 at a Porsche dealership. They’ll respond with which 911?
Base, S, 4, 4S, GT3, etc...
Old 07-12-2019, 03:21 AM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

Old 07-12-2019, 03:57 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Best experience though was at a Subaru dealer for my buddy's brz. Agreed on price, got pre approved. In and out in an hour...
I had a similar experience at a Subaru dealer I ended up buying a WRX at back in '02. I went to several Subaru dealers and got the run around. Called this dealership, told him where I was in the process and what I wanted. He gave me a price and went there to sign and drive. No BS and was jut a simple transaction. Come to find out he's the number Subaru sales person in the State or even New England. He said "I am not salesman, just an order taker." He sold Jay Leno a WRX a couple of weeks before me.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw

darcy
Can't say phoning 911 is too bright for something this stupid. They have enough real emergencies to deal with I expect. Phone the cops next time.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:14 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

When I was shopping for my truck I found one posted for a really good price. I went into the dealer and was handed from one sales guy to another and then watched this moron spend 20 minutes trying to back the truck out without moving other cars when I told him there was no way they were getting it out without moving stuff. Go on test drive truck is nice. Go inside sit down and they say they will write up the price. Wait some more. Sales guy comes back with another douche and go through numbers. The base price was like $8k higher than what was posted online. I asked what truck they were pricing and pulled up the listing with their stock number. Guy huffed and puffed. At this point I wasn't in the mood so said I would pay the posted price and not a penny more. He went off and I waited some more. Came back and let me know that they would do me the immense favor of selling the car at the posted prices but all the taxes and fees would be extra so I left.

When we bought our Fiat 500 Abarth it was nearly the best experience I had ever had with a dealer. They let us take a car to test drive for the day. Sales guy was great and didn't press to sell me extra bullshit. Finance (0% for 7 years!!!) was already set and the price of the car was deeply discounted so we were good to go. I had the sales guy dump off all the extra bullshit ie paint protection, gap, etc. Then we go sit down with the douche in the office and he starts going through the extra BS I already said I didn't want. I politely said hey I don't need any of that stuff I had insurance. He gets huffy and says of you have insurance for maintenance and how much the first service cost (which was 100% incorrect). I repeat I don't want any of it and he goes for a 3rd loop around the douche track. At this point I raise my voice and say I already told the sales guy I didn't want any of it I told the sales guy I didn't want any of it and I am not going to say it again. He gets quiet but acts like a kid that was told to put the toy back at the store slam typing the changes. We sign and leave. It was an amazing experience up until that douche.

The truck I did end up buying was a great experience. The posted price was very competitive and didn't require haggling. They were willing to let me come back the next day with a check as we were selling our old car to a friend and that hadn't happened yet. They got me a better % on the loan than I had gotten through looking myself. Really only complaint was they didn't fill the truck up.

Quick Reply: Douche-tastic dealer thread.