Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drone footage of my GT3

Old 04-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

C7Z owner here, and the car is fantastic as an all around GT car. The discounts are HUGE now.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmants
Sounds like you have more porsche experience than I do then! I have driven my dads 993 c2, a 996 c2, and then obviously my 997.1 gt3. My brother had a 996 turbo but unfortunately I never got to drive it.... The GT3 is loud, stiff, low, high revving, and (relatively) light at 3,000lbs. All things I love in a car. Yes the steering feel is amazing, although the handling mid corner is a bit weird until you get used to it. It seems to be common trait amongst 911s where the tail steps out a tad and then sets in a corner as you stay on throttle. very strange and a bit unsettling the first few times. I also experienced a bit of understeer when I wasn't being smooth on corner entry--only on the street--I don't track this car as my s2000 is a dedicated track car. In terms of fun cars, have had an EVO 8, 9, and 10, 2 WRXs, turbo and NA s2000s, Nissan Silvia, VW GTI, E90 M3, and this 997 GT3 and the GT3 is definitely the best car I have owned to date. I have never had a large displacement american sports car and want to give that a shot. I am thinking C7 GS or Z06 or current gen Viper. I am leaning toward the GS/Z06 though....
Haha yeah throttle steering in the RR Porsche definitely felt very interesting, and like you said pretty unsettling. We had pretty similar cars in the past

If you live near a Carmax they should almost always have at least a base or z51 Stingray for you to test out no questions asked. The GS and Z06 should only be better from there. Some journalists did complain that the Z06 seems to have too much power for its own good but you never know, it may just be what you're looking for
Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM

I do not think it has too much power for its own good. The chassis handles it all very well.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rwheelz
C7Z owner here, and the car is fantastic as an all around GT car. The discounts are HUGE now.
I need to go drive one--i have been seeing the insane discounts. I need to get the gt3 up for sale I guess....Anything you dislike about the car, or would have ordered differently after owning for a while.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM

Get the package that has memory seat if you have more than one driver. I hate when someone even sits in it and moves my seat around! I bought a base model with only two options- competition seats and performance data recorder (PDR). The PDR includes NAV, which everyone wants when you sell it (I have never even tried the NAV), and it is fantastic for track use. The competition seats are great for a street car, but the harness holes are covered by my shoulders, so I could never actually mount harnesses in them. They are not ultimately supportive enough for track use, but are a lot better than the non-competition seats.

There isn't much I dislike about the car. I sold my C6Z to buy it and preferred the LS7 by a long shot. The LT4 is better for regular street use because the torque is readily available, even just off idle. I prefer the look of the C6Z, but seem to be alone on that. The top creaks in my car. There is a TSB and the dealer will fix it for free, but it will start creaking again eventually. It is a very common problem. Mine is a manual, so I can't comment on the automatic transmission. I did not even consider it when ordering.

Go to bowling green and take the factory tour and watch them build your car. It was a great experience and only costs $500. You can probably save a little money buying one pre-configured off a lot, but I would try and secure an allocation at a discount from one of the big dealers and order exactly what you want. I kind of wish I had taken the museum delivery option!
The following users liked this post:
Snowmants (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks man--that is a lot of detailed info! I would also only consider a manual trans as the auto is not a real dual clutch setup like the great ones from Porsche, bmw, Ferrari etc... I think I am also in the same camp as you in terms of what i like in a car--only options i would want are z07 package and comp seats. I am also considering the Grand sport, but the simple fact that the z06 with 200 more hp exists, makes me want to just go ahead and get that--even though the grand sport is probably a better value, better balanced, and just as much fun..... i also keep coming back to the current gen viper as i like the looks and it is a bit more exotic, but I feel like the zo6 is a better car and i love that you can remove the roof panel if you want.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 AM

But if you do, it will creak incessantly .