Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove along with a Solstice GXP

Old 07-18-2006, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove along with a Solstice GXP

This morning on the way to work I ran into a Solstice GXP for the first time. It had weird markings all over it, dual exhaust, black&white checkered stripes in strange places, and had a number marked several places on the body. It was definitely some sort of test model.

Anyway, I slowed down to let it catch up so I could take a good look. The guy driving it showed off a little, changing lanes then taking off in front of me, then letting me do the same to him - back and forth. The turbo whine on that thing is loud! It sounds quite good!

It's a pretty sweet little car. The price is right certainly. Not as pretty as the Sky though.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool sighting! However, I drove a Solstice GXP press vehicle about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't all that impressive. I don't want to be a typical GM basher, but honestly the car just doesn't feel well put together. The motor is extremely rough and thrashy - almost sounds like a truck. Power is decent with plenty of torque, but it honestly doesn't feel any faster than our s2000s. However, I do appreciate it's styling - it's just lacking in build quality and sophistication.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by superjimbo,Jul 18 2006, 12:37 PM
Very cool sighting! However, I drove a Solstice GXP press vehicle about 3 weeks ago and it wasn't all that impressive. I don't want to be a typical GM basher, but honestly the car just doesn't feel well put together. The motor is extremely rough and thrashy - almost sounds like a truck. Power is decent with plenty of torque, but it honestly doesn't feel any faster than our s2000s. However, I do appreciate it's styling - it's just lacking in build quality and sophistication.
Somewhere out there.. SteveC is actively hating you.

I'm kidding. That's cool, i'd like a chance to drive one some day. The S2 is actually the only roadster i've driven besides an old Z3 so I don't really have much to compare with.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:38 AM

it doesn't surprise me that you say it's not well built. i just sold a z06 because i was tired of the shitty build quality. the only good thing about it was the engine and handling. the rest of the car was pure crap.

flame away.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by itsmeek,Jul 18 2006, 10:38 AM
it doesn't surprise me that you say it's not well built. i just sold a z06 because i was tired of the shitty build quality. the only good thing about it was the engine and handling. the rest of the car was pure crap.

flame away.
[Stevec]: You're an idiot, riceboi!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:54 AM

i'm just gonna go mad tite turbo and beat ferraris and bugattis and shit yo.

VTEC!
Old 07-19-2006, 08:09 AM

Yeah, I have seen the Sky on the road and the one I saw (not sure if it was lowered or had aftermarket crap on it) looked great. It was the first ~$30-$40k roadster, besides the S2000, that actually looked very attractive. I was very impressed, but that was from far away....so I can't really comment on build quality or driving experience.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:59 AM

except the sky isn't 30-40K, it's in the 20's. maybe doesn't look it from the outside, but it sure does from the inside. I remember sitting in a miata and a solstice back to back and was blown away by the difference in interior quality and overall sense of sophistication in the miata, given the similarity in price point. But many people buying the solstice probably won't give a damn about anything other than the outward appearance, and on that front, I do believe the solstice and sky are both very attractive cars (though I prefer the sky...and still don't understand why there are 2 versions of the same car at all).

-Quick2k
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Quick2K,Jul 19 2006, 05:59 PM
(though I prefer the sky...and still don't understand why there are 2 versions of the same car at all).

-Quick2k
Huh, that happens all the time?
Old 07-19-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick2K,Jul 19 2006, 11:59 AM
I remember sitting in a miata and a solstice back to back and was blown away by the difference in interior quality and overall sense of sophistication in the miata, given the similarity in price point.

-Quick2k
I like the interiors of both cars but I would disagree with interior materials being that far south of those in the Miata. The couple Sky's and Solstices I checked out hed decent materials.

I did HATE the seats in them though. Maybe someone else could put their finger on it but I plopped into a sky and the seat had very little side support and the seat cushion was really squishy.. The foam seemed to settle about two and a half inches onto a falt board. My first thought was yuck. I thought it was designed for a car that some fat ass want to be seen driving around in with the top down, but never take a corner.

The seats in the S2000 are not known for being the cushiest but I will take the firm wrap around seat to the ones in the the Generals twins.

Quick Reply: Drove along with a Solstice GXP