Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove a LP640, 360 Modena and Caterham

Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove a LP640, 360 Modena and Caterham

Thread says it all. Recently got a chance to drive all three of these fantastic machines in a track setting. I was supposed to drive a Challenge Stradale but the clutch on that was toast. So I drove a Modena. I was also supposed to drive an Atom, but the clutch on that was also toast! So I drove a Caterham. Thought I'd post up my impressions (and pics).

LP640 :
The big daddy. Imagine a Saturn V rocket strapped to your sofa and you get the idea. I did 5 laps in this thing, and hit about 120-130mph in it (didn't really look closely at speedo). The gearing is uber-tall and the thrust is ... there...everywhere. Absolutely HATED the ridiculously tall shifter and super cramped pedal area - it made heel and toeing a painful and unpleasant exercise. Car seemed to 'claw' the ground and never wanted to let go - function of the AWD I guess. I'm sure if pushed over the limit it could be a handful. Interior is passable but you get the feeling it was put together by someone who works at Toys R Us.

This is the car you want to be SEEN in. Lots of visual drama and attention. Probably one of the best looking cars ever made. I was hoping that the 'experience' would match, but from my short session in the car it didn't. Dedicated track drivers or those looking for a uber sporty sports car should look elsewhere.

Pic (This isn't the one I drove but was another Murci that was there, but you get the idea)

360 Modena :
V8 behind you, Ferrari badge on the front. Not too much thats wrong with this picture! Car handled great with great response in transitions. Great steering feel as well. Power was 'there' but didn't 'shock' me. as much - granted I shifted about 1000rpm shy of redline so I'm sure there was more go left in it. Absolutely HATED the paddle shift system, which to put nicely was retarded. The paddles themselves had long travel to them, and didn't feel 'solid' and 'crisp' as you would expect of something that is engaging the cogs in the vehicle. And the response time wasn't instant - maybe I've been spoiled by the DSG boxes of today.

A drivers car for sure, but true drivers should defintely skip the F1 system (at least in that generation) if your looking for the ultimate satisfying driving experience. Again, this is based on a short session in the car driving at 85-90% so maybe more seat time is in order. My choice would be a 360 spider with 6 speed manual.

Pics

Caterham :
Most fun I had all day. Gosh this car was a BLAST to drive. Super light flywheel meant that i was difficult to get moving, but the experience the car provided was sensational. No power assist on anything, just you and the road. Only thing I didn't like was the wooden brakes, and the fact that I got a faceful of dirt because I elected to drive with the doors off!

My thoughts...

Somehow I left the track a little....disappointed? Maybe 'changed perception' would be a better way of stating it. I was definetely disappointed in the Lambo which felt like a drama queen but somehow didn't communicate that experience to me. The Ferrari was very, very good but somehow I guess I was expecting to exit the car crying in tears of ecstasy, but that never happened. Then again, my impressions are all based upon limited track time whilst driving the cars at 85% so its hard to make a solid conclusion. On the other hand, I fell in love with the Caterham and want to buy one. Or an atom.

I guess at the end of the day, the combined price of the S2000 and the M roadster is close to the price for a used 360 Modena (roughly). But (at this point) I'd much rather have both the S and the M instead of a 360, simply because I get more enjoyment out of having two very different cars that both thrill me just as much. Still want to get a R8 but I'll definetely be test driving before buying. Just my :2cents:

Pics of the S and the M:

Old 07-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate fills my heart!
Old 07-12-2008, 10:44 AM

wow i hate you i want the new lp560 hahaha or even just test drive it that would be sexy!
Old 07-12-2008, 03:25 PM

its true. a car is a car. no matter how awesome you think it is going to be.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:43 PM

thanks for the reality check - good to know that even our 'perfect' cars aren't so perfect.

in the meantime I'm still looking fwd to seat time in my friend's exige s...
Old 07-12-2008, 05:55 PM

Good call and picking the Caterham, I'm slowly becoming obsessed with doing a Se7en car. I just started doing so reading on it recently and it seems like everyone doing them in the US is trying to do them on the CHEAP, like $10k and under, which I don't think is doing the concept full justice. I'm all for minimal, but I jump off that train when it gets to full on kit car.
Old 07-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the driving impressions! The 360 Modena with a 6 speed is definitely on my list of cars to own, as well as a Caterham/Seven replica.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:19 PM

I'm so jealous damn that lp640 is sexy and that lambo v12 oh man.........
Old 07-13-2008, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by vishnus11,Jul 12 2008, 01:57 PM
I guess I was expecting to exit the car crying in tears of ecstasy, but that never happened.
This made me laugh my ass off Great write up! As close as I think I will get to driving one of these for a while.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:51 PM

it's sad when reality sets in.

Quick Reply: Drove a LP640, 360 Modena and Caterham