Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Drove Z4 M

Old 03-20-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The thing that always cracks me up is why people think they can properly assess a car based on a short drive with a sales person in an unbroken in car lacking the ability to fully utilize the power.

It's like watching the trailer for a movie and trying to review it. Of course -- one would expect a review based on such circumstances to be inaccurate and full of preconceived notions.

So what is the value in this thread? None outside of the fact that it sets the anti anything not Honda kids with a slow ball to bash out of the park with their usual rants.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2004S2000,Mar 19 2006, 10:29 PM
Even keeping the revs down the car is quick. I could steer with the throttle. The clutch makes the S2000 feel soft by comparison. The steering wheel communicates the road nicely. Not as nice as the Boxster.
Just curious, what do you mean by steer with the throttle? Were you drifting around corners with the sales guy while keeping revs under 4000? That seems kind of hard to believe
Old 03-20-2006, 09:04 AM

I don't think this review paints the whole picture. I mean, if you had to keep it under 4k, how could you really get an idea of the true power of the engine? I've no doubt it has lots of torque, but the HP lies up high. I'd like to see another review where someone actually gets to take the car out on the road and drive it like....a car! I am really starting to like the design of the M coupe and roadster. Seems like BMW may be offering Porsche a real challenge for their Boxster S.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 20 2006, 11:42 AM
The thing that always cracks me up is why people think they can properly assess a car based on a short drive with a sales person in an unbroken in car lacking the ability to fully utilize the power.

It's like watching the trailer for a movie and trying to review it. Of course -- one would expect a review based on such circumstances to be inaccurate and full of preconceived notions.

So what is the value in this thread? None outside of the fact that it sets the anti anything not Honda kids with a slow ball to bash out of the park with their usual rants.
Sometimes you say things that baffle the mind....

What would you like him/most of us to do? Buy the car, get a full test drive, then ask for a refund if you dont like it?

Fact of the matter is that most BMW dealers wont let you test drive the M cars, and if they do, its very limited. Thats all we have to judge on.

Seriously, think before you post sometimes.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:45 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ This is usually not the case, at least not in my personal experience. I've never had a problem test driving any BMW, including any M cars at local dealers. Most usually allocate a single "demo" car to let their customers trash it, then sell it at the end of the model year at a reduced price.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would you like him/most of us to do?
Not post pointless threads. 10 minutes with a sales person in a car that is not even broken in is a pointless thread. You might as well give us your driving impressions after just sitting in it for 3 minutes because it will have about as much value. Jumping to conclusions based on this limited experience as to things like how the car handles is a total joke.

Fact of the matter is that most BMW dealers wont let you test drive the M cars, and if they do, its very limited. Thats all we have to judge on.
Most? I've had zero issues driving M cars -- in fact I've taken an M coupe home for the night before.

Seriously, speak from experience ....anytime.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Can you find any more negative things about this car?

Jeez..it probably doesn't handle as well as your beloved s2k because it weighs a few hundred more pounds and has an inline-6 under the front hood.

But we all know everyone will trade their s2k for this car in a heartbeat.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Mar 20 2006, 02:47 PM
I've had zero issues driving M cars -- in fact I've taken an M coupe home for the night before.
fvck...i gotta agree with the guy....but, let the record show, i hate it when that happens.

i took an E39 M5 home for a weekend (fri mid-aft to mon morning)....
Old 03-20-2006, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My BMW dealer will let you test drive their brand new M cars and test drive them hard. You can take them home for the weekend or for a day. Your choice.

I know because I've done this before.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slicksilver,Mar 20 2006, 01:11 PM
My BMW dealer will let you test drive their brand new M cars and test drive them hard. You can take them home for the weekend or for a day. Your choice.

I know because I've done this before.
Does this happen after you let them run a credit check? I only have one BMW dealership near me and the BMW plant is only 10 minutes from where I live. The last 3x I have been at the dealership, they want to run a credit check before letting me test drive a car. I have not been back there since. This was in 2001.

Quick Reply: Drove Z4 M